Pizza Base Recipes

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
butch

Pizza Base Recipes

Post by butch »

Gday all,

Im interested in seeing everyones pizza base recipes (if your willing to share). Have tried a few but have not found one Im thrilled about.

Thanks,
Butch
Captain Cook

Re: Pizza Base Recipes

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

My wife gets a heap of home grown cherry toms, peeled whole garlic cloves, a red onion chopped rough.
Into a baking pan with EVOO , flake salt, some herbs and bakes till golden on top,
Blend it all up and you have a tomato base for anything.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
butch

Post by butch »

Thanks fellas,

Curious to try the recipe with the chilled water, different to anything I've tried before. Will have to give that sauce a crack too

Thanks,
Butch
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

I have done this one today, made 4 pizzas and was the best one yet:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=C2C6v9mGuR0

If it doesn't show up its on YouTube, I searched Pizza Dough and it's Susan Sandy's video. Even showed me how to stretch it properly, no rolling pin required!
There is room for all creatures next to chips & salad...

beermee

Post by beermee »

my pizza base recipe is adapted from jamie oliver's italy cookbook:

1kg type 00 plain flour
1 TBL spoon salt
1 TBL spoon caster sugar
2 x 7g satchels of dry yeast
650 ml lukewarm water
olive oil

Knead all ingredients together (I use a mixmaster / kitchenaid) for 7-8 minutes.

Place in oiled bowl and allow dough to rise for an hour or 2.

Re-knead by hand for a couple of minutes.

Put dough in bowl and put in fridge for an hour or 2 - it will rise again.

Take dough out of fridge re-knead and cut into portions for use, roll out and use.....
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

I work backwards. First, I calculate how much dough I need, then I calculate the portions based on bakers ratios.

Ingredients
- Type 00 flour - i.e. 62.5% weight
- Water (60% hydration) - i.e. 32.5% weight
- Fresh yeast (2% weight of dough)
- Salt (0.5% weight of dough)
- EVOO (1% weight of dough)

Each pizza base I make weighs 280gm. However, I like having 20gm spare - so I get a nice round number, 300gm per base. If I make two pizzas, I need 600gm of dough. Using the above recipe, I calculate that I need (600gm x 0.625) = 375gm flour and (600gm x 0.325) = 195gm water. I will also need (600 x 0.02) = 12gm fresh yeast, (600 x 0.005) = 3gm of salt, and (600 x 0.01) = 6gm of EVOO.

Calculating your ingredients this way minimizes wastage. I simply chuck all the dry ingredients into the mixer, turn it on (speed 1), then drizzle the water in until incorporated. I then leave it to knead for 15 minutes. Once kneaded, I cover it with a double layer of plastic wrap then rest it in the fridge for 24 hours (this step helps develop the flavours). I then take it out, punch it down, and let it warm up. Once it is warmed up, I divide it into serving portions and stretch it out (DO NOT ROLL). I then cover it with a damp cloth and leave it to rise again.

With any pizza base recipe, the critical factor is how much water you need. I have experimented with various hydration levels in my pizza base, and found that I prefer the results with 60%. This is lower than the 65%, or even 68% mentioned on some pizza forums. If that much water is used, I found that the dough becomes very difficult to use - it is excessively sticky and does not want to be rolled unless a LOT of flour is used as a lubricant.
Image Image Image
Zesty

Post by Zesty »

I have been on the quest for a great pizza base for more years than I care to share :lol:

IMO, this is the best I have tried, it makes a nice chewy base, similar to the ones the Italians make.

Ingredients:

400g plain floour (I use a flour with high protein i.e. Wallaby Brand 5 kg bag from Coles)
130g semonina
pinch salt
380 ml warm water
7 g yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Whack it all in the bread machine, and whallah :mrgreen:
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Amfibius wrote:I work backwards. First, I calculate how much dough I need, then I calculate the portions based on bakers ratios.

Ingredients
- Type 00 flour - i.e. 62.5% weight
- Water (60% hydration) - i.e. 32.5% weight
- Fresh yeast (2% weight of dough)
- Salt (0.5% weight of dough)
- EVOO (1% weight of dough)

Each pizza base I make weighs 280gm. However, I like having 20gm spare - so I get a nice round number, 300gm per base. If I make two pizzas, I need 600gm of dough. Using the above recipe, I calculate that I need (600gm x 0.625) = 375gm flour and (600gm x 0.325) = 195gm water. I will also need (600 x 0.02) = 12gm fresh yeast, (600 x 0.005) = 3gm of salt, and (600 x 0.01) = 6gm of EVOO.

Calculating your ingredients this way minimizes wastage. I simply chuck all the dry ingredients into the mixer, turn it on (speed 1), then drizzle the water in until incorporated. I then leave it to knead for 15 minutes. Once kneaded, I cover it with a double layer of plastic wrap then rest it in the fridge for 24 hours (this step helps develop the flavours). I then take it out, punch it down, and let it warm up. Once it is warmed up, I divide it into serving portions and stretch it out (DO NOT ROLL). I then cover it with a damp cloth and leave it to rise again.

With any pizza base recipe, the critical factor is how much water you need. I have experimented with various hydration levels in my pizza base, and found that I prefer the results with 60%. This is lower than the 65%, or even 68% mentioned on some pizza forums. If that much water is used, I found that the dough becomes very difficult to use - it is excessively sticky and does not want to be rolled unless a LOT of flour is used as a lubricant.
:shock: :oops: ummm , very cool Amphiby, think i'd rather pay you to make it ! :lol:
Nini8r

Post by Nini8r »

I recently found a packet mix from woolies the brand is Laucke pizza & focaccia it make 4 large pizza bases and I think its great.
My 2 cents
Neil
Silver Creek Smokers
Custom Reverse Flow Off-set Smoker
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

Nini8r wrote:I recently found a packet mix from woolies the brand is Laucke pizza & focaccia it make 4 large pizza bases and I think its great.
My 2 cents
That base mix is so good my kids will no longer eat takaway pizza. I highly recomend keeping a packet in the pantry.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Nini8r wrote:I recently found a packet mix from woolies the brand is Laucke pizza & focaccia it make 4 large pizza bases and I think its great.
My 2 cents
I have been usingthe Lauke white bread mix with good results. However, I will have to look out for the pizza & focaccia packet.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

My 2 cents
I only used this once.
One pack came out extra nice, the other pack flopped and didn't rise.
So I don't know what to say about this mix. :!: :roll:

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I have to say the best Ive had is the Captains Italan friends pizza dough.
The addition of sugar and the overnight cold fermentaion is kick ass.
But I only make it when I plan for pizza.
And thats not often as pizza nights seem to "Spring up" with only hours to prepare.
In that case, Its same ingredients but with warm water and get it to rise asap.

Also, Sorry Butch re my mistake re pizza base, In my head that means the tomato sauce that goes on first (base) :oops:
Its just as well everyone else got what you were asking about :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
butch

Post by butch »

Thanks for the replies fellas, looks I got quite a few to try out.

Got a coupla recipes of some mates that I did but wasn't real happy with.

Yeah no worries Smokey Mick, I do need a good pizza sauce. I have only been using pizza sauce from Woolies, which isn't too bad but home made always tastes better.

Cheers
Butch