My first attempt at pizza making/cooking on a Q

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Graeme

My first attempt at pizza making/cooking on a Q

Post by Graeme »

I have never tried making a pizza before, let alone cooking one on a BBQ, I recently bought the Weber Q320 and planned on christening it with a lamb roast, but the wife had a trip to the dentist, so that canned that idea. I was chaffing at the bit to fire up the Q and try it out, so I decided to give pizza making a whirl.

I used pre made pizza bases available from the bread section at Woolies although I might have a go at making my own.

I used foil on the middle of the grill, I also used the vegie rack turned upside down and placed the stone on top. Then BBQ was preheated for 20 mins with both burners on high.
I transferred the pizza directly onto the stone and turned off the middle burner. I left it to cook for another 20 mins.

They turned out ok although I feel they could have been left a few more minutes, because I wasn't really happy with the cheese, it was a little rubbery. It may have been the brand of mozzarella cheese I'm not sure.

They didn't last long before the wife and son devoured them, I managed to have a piece of each before it was all gone, I guess that's what happens when you clean up before eating.

Pictures or it didn't happen...... here they are

Graeme
titch

Re: My first attempt at pizza making/cooking on a Q

Post by titch »

Awsome first effort mate.
Win some brownie at home :wink: .
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Good one Graeme!

Great pics too.

I made pizzas on the 320 tonight as well. Two large and one small.
I actually got the camera out but the batteries had gone dead since it was last used the other day

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

I would like to know what type/brand of cheese others use for their pizza's, because I didn't really like the cheese I used, it was to thick and a little rubbery.

Graeme
sosman

Post by sosman »

Graeme wrote:I would like to know what type/brand of cheese others use for their pizza's, because I didn't really like the cheese I used, it was to thick and a little rubbery.
Graeme
Just get some good quality stuff, say a good quality mozarella for that stringy feel (colby can work too). Check out your local deli. I also used various other cheeses, more for flavour such as parmesan or camembert.

Here's the thing, the more you make, the more you will find what suits you. I have made pizza on our 320 using urban gorilla's spaghetti can method and it cooked just fine. Personally I would keep the middle burner on.

Making your own bases will also step things up a bit. There are plenty of options here but if you have a breadmaker just try their bog standard pizza dough recipe for starters.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Graeme wrote:I would like to know what type/brand of cheese others use for their pizza's, because I didn't really like the cheese I used, it was to thick and a little rubbery.

Graeme
After trying different cheeses, some too strong a flavour, some too greasy, some not melting, etc, etc, I have found the following cheese mix to work well. Have used it for many pizzas on my Weber Q320.

From the Woolworths refrigerated cheese section. Perfect Italiano Pizza Pluss. Shredded, a combination of Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan.
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

mymonaro wrote:From the Woolworths refrigerated cheese section. Perfect Italiano Pizza Pluss. Shredded, a combination of Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan.
Would have to agree, tastes good, works perfectly and so easy to use given it is already grated for you :D

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Coles brand shredded mozzarella is not too bad,
Less oily then the mixed cheese /combination packs.

Although, this cheese seems to vary somewhat at times,
with the last packet turning out flat and rubbery.
But is usually quite ok.

We sometimes buy cheese from one of the pizza joints near here.

Cheers

Meat and eat
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Livewire wrote:
mymonaro wrote:From the Woolworths refrigerated cheese section. Perfect Italiano Pizza Pluss. Shredded, a combination of Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan.
Would have to agree, tastes good, works perfectly and so easy to use given it is already grated for you :D

Glenn
Good to see there is someone else with good taste......
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

A sprinkle of very fine grated/powdered parmesan on top of the pizza
can add a nice extra flavor.

Cheers

Meat and eat
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try, although parmesan is out, I can't stand the stuff.

Graeme
Deano

Post by Deano »

Graeme wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try, although parmesan is out, I can't stand the stuff.

Graeme

I love parmesan, but I don't do it on pizza. I really like those crystals an aged parmesan gets.
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.
titch

Post by titch »

Deano wrote:
Graeme wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try, although parmesan is out, I can't stand the stuff.

Graeme

I love parmesan, but I don't do it on pizza. I really like those crystals an aged parmesan gets.
OOOOHHHH YEEEESSSS :wink:
Cheers
Titch