Tips for Pizza on Charcoal Weber?

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

I've picked up a couple of really nice home made gourmet pizza bases that I'm keen to try on the Weber using lump charcoal.

Anything I should be aware of or tips on getting it to cook perfectly? I'm planning on putting the charcoal on one side and the pizza on the other but if there is a better way I'd love to hear it.
Hogsy

Re: Tips for Pizza on Charcoal Weber?

Post by Hogsy »

Pizza Stone is a must!!!!!
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Jars

Post by Jars »

Yep, you gotta get a pizza stone, will be much better than putting it on the grate.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Cooking pizza means a hot oven and without shielding the base from the direct heat of the coals, you will burn it, particularly if it's a pre cooked base. For your first effort, just put the pizza on a tray with baking paper underneath. Cook until it's done on top and then check the base. It will probably be crisp and not need any more. I find I don't use the stones much unless we use our home made base and then we need the stone to cook and crisp the base. Using bought bases, we just put them on the stone for a minute after cooking on the trays first. Any more and they turn black underneath but this is only for effect, they are basically done before they hit the stone.

I'd be using some foil to help shield the tray from too much direct heat. It's the heat in the oven which will cook it, not the heat from below.
beermee

Post by beermee »

When I do pizza in the weber I put the beads in a ring around the edge of the weber and a pizza stone on the grate. I try to get as much indirect heat going as possible and no direct heat on the stone. Seems to work well....

Here's a photo of my pork sausage pizza:

Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Finally had a chance to do the pizza last night. Used lump charcoal only and it turned out amazing and like something you find in an italian restaurant.

Filled the chimney with charcoal and lit her up, then basically put it in a pile to one side of the Weber

Made the toppings pretty simple, pizza sauce, mushroom, capsicum, peperoni, bacon, mozzarella and meatballs

The crust turned out perfectly, nice and crispy on the outside but the inside was nice and soft

Anyone know how adding a chunk of wood would affect a pizza? I'd love to get a more woodfired taste out of it without it ruining the flavour
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

bennoc wrote:

Anyone know how adding a chunk of wood would affect a pizza? I'd love to get a more woodfired taste out of it without it ruining the flavour
It will make a difference but whether you like it or not is a personal taste issue. It also depends on the wood you use. My wife says I use too much smoke but I love it.

Why not give it a try by cooking a small section first, at least if you don't like it , you can do the rest normally.

Nice effort on the first cook too. :wink: I'll bet you are glad we talked you in to a Weber. :D
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Gumb wrote: Nice effort on the first cook too. :wink: I'll bet you are glad we talked you in to a Weber. :D
Very glad! The poor thing hardly cools down properly before it gets fired up again, and my butcher is probably heading on an overseas holiday thanks to the huge boost in sales thanks to my new hobby.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

That's nice to hear. My Weber served me very well for about 15 years and did all it was asked to do.

When the time comes for a bit more adventure, check out the Smokenator (I may have already mentioned it) which lets you do low and slow cooking without any control hassles. It's also great for normal temp cooking but the advantage is that it frees up a lot more grill space.
But for now, and for many more years, play, enjoy and experiment. :D

And if you REALLY want to impress the family, do a pickled leg of pork with lots of hickory smoke and basted with marmalde. The recipe is in the Weber cook book if you have it.
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Gumb wrote:do a pickled leg of pork with lots of hickory smoke and basted with marmalde. The recipe is in the Weber cook book if you have it.
Can I ask which Weber book has this recipe in it?
I just looked for it in my R. McDonald & M. Kirkwood book (3rd Print, 1990), and couldn't find it, so I'm guessing it's either an updated version or a different book?

R.
Image Image