No Knead dough recipe

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
sosman

No Knead dough recipe

Post by sosman »

This one I just ripped off the web and modified it a little. To make it no knead the dough has to be a bit stickier. OTOH you can make shiploads of it on say Friday night then just bust bits off and cook it anyway you like. These probably aren't both from exactly the same recipe but it should whet your appetite. The tip re parbaking at the end can be handy for bigger pizzas, whack it on the stone for a few seconds each side before you slap the toppings on it - make it a bit easier to handle.

Note that "no knead" is not cheating, gliadin and glutening will bond to form gluten all by themselves given time, you just speed it up by kneading.

No Knead Pizza Dough (Olive Oil Dough Master Recipe)

My notes: I love the flavor of the dough when it has the chance to chill out in the fridge at least overnight. I also use only half the yeast – the longer you let it sit in the fridge, the less yeast you need to use. So, if I’m looking to make the flatbread same day as I make the dough, I use the full 1 1/2 tbl yeast. If I am making the dough and letting it hang in the fridge, I’ll only use half the yeast. Half the yeast will be sufficient when you give it time to do it’s thing, and it will taste less “yeasty.”

From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Makes 4 1lb loaves. This recipe is easily doubled or halved

Code: Select all

670 g lukewarm water
    18 g granulated yeast
    23 g tbl salt
    10 g sugar
    35 g extra virgin olive oil
    900 g unbleached all-purpose flour 
1. Mix the yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil with the water in a 5-qt bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container

2. Mix in the flour without kneading, using a large wooden spoon.

3. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature for about 2 hours. You can use the dough at this point, or refrigerate and use over next 12 days. If you refrigerate at least overnight, you’ll develop better flavor in the dough. If you only want to make 1 flatbread, just pinch off a grapefruit sized piece of dough to use…keep the remaining covered loosely in the refrigerator. You can freeze the dough as well…but I haven’t tried it, because honestly, it’s so good that the dough never goes unbaked for more than 4 days.

The dough is a bit stickier than the kneaded version so it can be useful to parbake it for 30-60 seconds each side before adding toppings.
rosecran

Re: No Knead dough recipe

Post by rosecran »

Hey sosman, this recipe looks good! you reckon it's good enough to pass as naan bread? I do a lot of curries and would love to have something like this in the fridge ready to go whenever I need it.
sosman

Post by sosman »

rosecran wrote:Hey sosman, this recipe looks good! you reckon it's good enough to pass as naan bread? I do a lot of curries and would love to have something like this in the fridge ready to go whenever I need it.
Just try it! It will work then tweak it as much as you like.
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

Roger that!
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

hey sosman, any chance you can convert this to cups, tbsp or ml when you make it next time around? I don't own a kitchen scale and I'm having difficulty trying to find a converter online for each of the ingredient. cheers mate. can't wait to give this a good go! cheers
sosman

Post by sosman »

rosecran wrote:hey sosman, any chance you can convert this to cups, tbsp or ml when you make it next time around? I don't own a kitchen scale and I'm having difficulty trying to find a converter online for each of the ingredient. cheers mate. can't wait to give this a good go! cheers
Heh - i busily convert every recipe to grams so I can scale it however I like.

Man - you need to get yourself some kitchen scales.

I believe I based it on this one but I am pretty sure I have made some tweaks.

http://steamykitchen.com/274-no-knead-p ... mesan.html
Last edited by sosman on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Erik the 14th

Post by King Erik the 14th »

I've done the no knead bread many times in my kitchen oven. Without a doubt this is the best bread that you can make in a conventional oven. I only use a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, and it rests on my kitchen bench for almost 24 hours before cooking.
There are a few websites for info
Erik XIV
sosman

Post by sosman »

King Erik the 14th wrote:I've done the no knead bread many times in my kitchen oven. Without a doubt this is the best bread that you can make in a conventional oven. I only use a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, and it rests on my kitchen bench for almost 24 hours before cooking.
There are a few websites for info
Is your recipe much different from the one at the link I pasted above? IIRC he mentions that it is best to leave it overnight for flavour development but also recommends cutting the yeast down to half of what you would use for a 2 hr rest.
King Erik the 14th

Post by King Erik the 14th »

This is the recepie that I use, from this website: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.
Erik XIV
sosman

Post by sosman »

Mmm - home baked bread anyone?

I tend to make a big dough ball and break bits off for various uses, flatbreads, rolls, pizzas, usually not enough left for a loaf of bread though :wink:
magste

Post by magste »

Tried making pizzas using this dough today. Being someone who hates kneeding and never gets the dough to perform as I want, I hoped this no kneed dough would be my saviour :) . And it was. Having made the dough a few days ago I test baked a couple of pizzas in the oven(!). Made pizzas on baking paper (dough was too sticky to handle) and pre-baked them on the pizza stone for 5 minutes, put toppings on and baked for another 8 mins in 220-250C. Turned out really nice. This is definitely something I'll use on the BBQ going forward. Thanks Sosman for the tip! :D
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
sosman

Post by sosman »

You're welcome. The stickiness is a bit of an issue, needs heaps of flour while handling.
magste

Post by magste »

I actually found dipping my hand in water to work fine when baking out on baking paper.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hey Sos, I need a life line.
Im making this now for pizza tomorrow, the full batch.
Its resting room temp now and will place in frige in two hours.
Question
1) For pizza, do I break off a piece and just roll it out or do I need to proof it and then bash it down and roll?
2)For bread, Do I break off a piece, Dont knead it and place into a bread pan. let rise and then bake?
3)After its resting right now, Do I punch it down before putting into frige ?

Cheers
:D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
sosman

Post by sosman »

Smokey Mick wrote:Hey Sos, I need a life line.
Im making this now for pizza tomorrow, the full batch.
Its resting room temp now and will place in frige in two hours.
Question
1) For pizza, do I break off a piece and just roll it out or do I need to proof it and then bash it down and roll?
2)For bread, Do I break off a piece, Dont knead it and place into a bread pan. let rise and then bake?
3)After its resting right now, Do I punch it down before putting into frige ?

Cheers
:D
Smokey - hope it went well :)

Anyway my answer to the above is, just roll with it. I prefer to let it come up to room temperature if I have time but I have gone straight from fridge to pizza. You can usually tell from the feel of it whether or not you need to punch it down. If it is going to rest again and it feels a bit gassy then punch it down.

Cooking with live food like this is an adventure for me and I probably never do it exactly the same way twice.