Welcome to Pizza & Baking

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Captain Cook

Re: Welcome to Pizza & Baking

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey Mick wrote:Picked up a weber pizza stone and tray yesterday, Made the captains dough this morning.(its in the fridge)
Im not particularly a fan of pizza, prolly because of the awful frozen pizza that the lovely buys :roll:
Lets see if I can impress myself tonight 8)
How to cook?
In the summit, stone to one side, burners under it low and two opposite burners on high?
should I use the back burner?
High indirect heat
- preheat stone before throwing the tray on (with the pizza on the tray) Shooting for a lid temp of 475 - 550
simon80

Post by simon80 »

The first thing I made on my new BBQ was pizza. I have made them in the oven in the past but they were so much better on the BBQ. Below is my method.

I give the stone around 15-20 minutes to heat up prior to putting my pizza down. A good indication of the right temp is to sprinkle some flour on the stone. If it goes golden then the stone is ready, if it smokes, its too hot.
I flour my bench and roll my base. Once topped, I flour my paddle and slide the pizza on. Doing this helps it slide off easily. I also flour the stone a little just before I put the pizza down. I aim to have my heat at around 220-230. Once the pizza is in and the lid closed I turn the two centre burners off that are directly under the stone, leaving the outside burners on high to maintain the temp. After 7 minutes I turn the middle burners back on for the remaining 3 minutes. I find this crisps the base without turning the whole pizza dry and too crunchy. I like the dough to have a slight softness without being moist if that makes sense.

Over the weekend I made:
Prawns, eggplant, roasted capsicum, tomato, caramelised onion, fetta.
Hot salami, artichokes, chargrilled eggplant, semi-dried tomatoes, ricotta.
Apple, roast pear, caramelised brown sugar
Hefty

Post by Hefty »

urbangriller wrote:Brother Commando.

Make your pizzas up on baking paper, makes them easy to carry and put on the stone, after a minute the base is firmm enouch to pull the paper out!

If you use a pizza peel cover it with semolina or polenta first, this will help the pizza "roll" off onto the stone.

Cheers
Chris
Old thread, I know, but do you grease the paper first? I tried greaseproof paper the other night and when I went to pull it off mid cook, it was stuck!

Any help greatly appreciated!
Jono.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I dont grease it ,it comes off easy
Are you using wax paper or baking paper?
chilling while grilling
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:I dont grease it ,it comes off easy
Are you using wax paper or baking paper?
I use a Teflon sheet for my pizzas, on my stone. Approximately three minutes on the stone and then gently slide the teflon sheet from under the pizza. Works like a shop bought pizza base, but better.