Baking Ciabatta No Knead Bread on Weber Q320

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
kb1987

Baking Ciabatta No Knead Bread on Weber Q320

Post by kb1987 »

Hi guys, long time stalker, first time poster here.

Last year, I upgraded my ratty old 6 burner Big W BBQ to a Weber Q3200 and the Mrs has been gettin pretty irritated that every meal is BBQed something... I told her to cook herself for a change! :wink:

Being part Italian, I think it's important for me to know how to make a hearty bread for soaking up those beautiful sauces, so I've been experimenting with the no knead formula as per the following:

- 17g - 25g salt (I use sea salt flakes)
- 10g yeast (I've been using the packet kind)
- 680g lukewarm water (100°F, I use a digital thermometer)
- 910g plain flour

Basically, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, dough will be shaggy, let rest for two hours.

Then you divide dough in two on to a pizza peel/baking paper, stretch then fold ends in underneath, turn 90° and stretch then fold ends in underneath again, allow to rest for 40m while pizza stone preheats at 230°.

Every time I follow this, the bread looks about right, smells fantastic, tastes ookkk, but very dense that evening or the following day. :x

I have tried resting for longer, proofing the yeast before adding to the flour, resting longer the second time, baked in oven, still can't get it how the Italian bread shop up the road does it... :roll:

I originally used Coles plain flour, bust. I then went to using a Divella brand pizza flour (which BTW works awesome for actual pizza dough). I have tried some other flours in between, but Divella seems to work better at the moment.

I've read different suggestions in this forum, as well as others, including good 'ol YouTube, but still can't get it where I want it to be.

10% protein flour, 11%, 12.5% - all with similar results. The best quality loaf was when I cooked the break in a pre-heated casserole dish, but it wasn't as airy as I'd like the crumb to be.

I don't know if it's the method, the flour, the yeast... the chef?

Help... somebody... please?!?!

Thanks! Kieran.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Baking Ciabatta No Knead Bread on Weber Q320

Post by Lovey »

G'day Kieran,
I'm no expert baker by any stretch, but I'll have a stab that you need to let the dough rest for longer. Kneading strengthens the gluten strands in the bread so that it retains more CO2, giving you that light, airy texture. If you're not kneading the bread then it takes a lot longer for the gluten strands to develop.
Check this link out to a 'no knead' bread and the resting time is around 8 hours viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15157.
Good luck with it and keep us updated with your progress, and of course if you hit on a winning recipe/technique, feel free to share.
All the best,
Steve
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Ive just made my first no knead loaf yesterday ,it was excellent but nothing like a ciabatta .

When I have made ciabattas it involved a very very wet dough with heaps of mixing on high with a paddle in an electric mixer until the protein strands got so tough the ball started climbing the paddle,
The hard part for an amateur is to control the sloppy mess you need a floured hands and bench and 2 good scrapers.
The wet dough steams up and creates that holey bread and that dense steamed interior with a crusty outside.
Its a great bread
There is a youtube on the technique
chilling while grilling
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Found this on youtube it is a no knead version.
Not a real one but close enough for the lack of prep needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI
chilling while grilling