Pizza stones

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Grunter

Pizza stones

Post by Grunter »

A question for the wise.

I have just bought a couple of Weber pizza stones, going to have a first crack at pizza on the bbq tonight. The weber instructions say that we should put the pizza on the metal tray, then on the pizza stone. I thought the benefit of the pizza stone was that it would draw the moisture out of the base, making it good and crispy. The stone surely can't do this if there is a metal tray between the pizza base and the stone. Are the weber stones different, that the pizza can't go on it directly? Or are we good to go and ignore the instructions and chuck the pizza directly on the stones?
Angryman65

Re: Pizza stones

Post by Angryman65 »

I use the Bunnings stone and always put the pizza on a tray then on the stone. Get really crispy pizzas and no cheese drips or stuck bits on the stone.

I did get trays with holes in the bottom though
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I usually make my pizza on silicone paper and put that on the stone.
I usually take it out 2/3rds of the way through
Traditional pizza shops with deck ovens used to start in a tray then finnish on the stone floor pre the modern conveyor belt toaster ovens pretending to be pizza ovens.
chilling while grilling
magste

Post by magste »

Before getting trays w holes I made the bottom on baking paper and put that on the stone. Sometimes I prebake bottom for a minute then took the paper off and dressed the pizza. Sometimes just used baking paper all the way.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Grunter wrote:A question for the wise.

I have just bought a couple of Weber pizza stones, going to have a first crack at pizza on the bbq tonight. The weber instructions say that we should put the pizza on the metal tray, then on the pizza stone. I thought the benefit of the pizza stone was that it would draw the moisture out of the base, making it good and crispy. The stone surely can't do this if there is a metal tray between the pizza base and the stone. Are the weber stones different, that the pizza can't go on it directly? Or are we good to go and ignore the instructions and chuck the pizza directly on the stones?
Hello Grunter,

I too had thought the same thing back in 2012, after buying my Weber Family Q and a Weber pizza stone with metal tray and an additional tray. When asking this same question of Weber Australia, I was told by them that it is the hot air inside the Weber that circulates around the pizza and dries the moisture out of the dough base. Sounded reasonable, I suppose.

After experimenting with different "dough mix" pizza bases, with and without the metal trays, using baking paper, thick teflon sheets, I have settled on the following method for great pizzas every time.

I make my dough from scratch, using the Lauke Pizza flour mix. I roll the dough out on to a "thick" teflon sheet and then add the sauce and topping. I preheat the Weber, with a trivet and stone, the trivet raised up slightly with empty tuna fish cans (to get the pizza up into the hotter part of the Weber). I use a pizza slide to place the teflon sheet with pizza on to the stone. After approximately 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the type of pizza (amount of toppings) I slide out the teflon sheet leaving a pizza base that has started to "firm up". I then cook the pizza directly on the stone for the required time.

After using the Weber circular stones I came across a rectangular Gasmate stone. This is the one that I use now, as the rectangular shape suits the rectangular teflon sheets better.

Excellent bases and pizzas every time. My family and friends love them! Last Boxing Day I cooked six pizzas in one sitting for family and friends, who had come over for the day.

Good luck. Tell us how you go.

Regards,
Geoff
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Thanks all. Ended up just cooking them on the tray, on the stone. Came up very well. I was going to take them off the tray and finish on the stone, but they were only taking 5 - 6 minutes each to cook and wasn't much time to muck around with taking them off the tray.

Mymonaro, we used the Lauke flour also. Mixed it up Saturday morning and let it do its thing. Will have to look at some silicon or teflon paper next time.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Grunter wrote:Thanks all. Ended up just cooking them on the tray, on the stone. Came up very well. I was going to take them off the tray and finish on the stone, but they were only taking 5 - 6 minutes each to cook and wasn't much time to muck around with taking them off the tray.

Mymonaro, we used the Lauke flour also. Mixed it up Saturday morning and let it do its thing. Will have to look at some silicon or teflon paper next time.
Thanks Grunter for the update.