Lucky mistake with dough

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
tfx

Lucky mistake with dough

Post by tfx »

I often use a bread machine to prep dough. The other day I set it all up before going out to make a batch that had a little higher water content than the recipe called for but was otherwise straight forward. I do use some milk powder in my dough recipe.

When i came home later I had a very wet mix foaming away that had proofed for maybe an hour. Using a spatula to inspect I realised that around half or more of the flour didn't mix in and was stuck in one corner. Being nearly out of flour I forced some into the liquid and turned the machine back on for a second knead cycle. A little extra flour was needed to adjust consistency once going.

The results were outstanding. Soft and pliable dough that was easy to work yet strong. Stretchy but soft. Once cooked a crisp lower surface (bit like one side/lamination of a Sao biscuit) but bubbly and chewy texture throughout. Mix of bubble sizes. Best I have ever done.

I have since tried to replicate the error by making a "sponge" first and then incorporating the remaining flour and salt during a second kneading. Great outcomes again. Worth trying. Not sure if it is just the proofing or the second kneading (half the flour only getting one) or both.
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Definitely. Try just incorporating the floor and salt and skipping the kneading, and allow the dough to rise all day. Less work and better results in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk