First loaves turned out ok but does anyone have a good bread

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
KamadoPaul

Post by KamadoPaul »

Use a Jamie Oliver bread recipe and it turned out great but the recipe seems to use quite a lot of yeast (3 packs to 1kg of flour)

Kids loved it and the house now smels awesome
KamadoPaul

Post by KamadoPaul »

Sorry for the spelling, my fingers are too fat for the tablet keyboard
chrisg

Re: First loaves turned out ok but does anyone have a good b

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

If you used 7gm packs would be about right, I don't use those prefer fresh or Lowan bulk dried yeast where it's a teaspoon per loaf as a guide but really there's no hard and fast rule and a Jamie Oliver recipe would be using UK conventions I'd guess.

This is a great resource for messing about with bread, used your question to remind me :)

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/21712/ ... tio-needed

Cheers
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

Hey Paul,

Whenever I bake I use 8g yeast per 600g flour.

This rate will give a slow first proofing in the fairly cold temperatures we've got at the moment but I prefer a longer proof as it does wonders for the flavour of the bread.

In the summer I drop that rate down to about 3g per 600g flour to get the same result.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

I'm with Ali on giving your bread as much time as possible to proof. Just like BBQ, your bread will benefit from the low n slow train of thought.

I like to make a poolish the night before, equal parts flour and water with just a pinch of yeast. Let this work away for a good 14 hours or so overnight. I then finish off the bread the next day... Adds a real nice sour note to the loaf and packs it with flavour.

Talking of sour notes I plan on getting my own sourdough culture started this week at some point after stocking up on baking supplies over the weekend :)
KamadoPaul

Post by KamadoPaul »

alimac23 wrote:Hey Paul,

Whenever I bake I use 8g yeast per 600g flour.

This rate will give a slow first proofing in the fairly cold temperatures we've got at the moment but I prefer a longer proof as it does wonders for the flavour of the bread.

In the summer I drop that rate down to about 3g per 600g flour to get the same result.
After baking the bread I thought 21g of yeast in 1kg was a bit much, it raised very quickly on the first proof and the bread had a slight yeasty smell once it cooled down.

We still enjoyed it but might look for some different recipies.

Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated :lol:
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

As I noted, Jamie Oliver is English, it is colder there so proofing can be a challenge, but no, it's not excessive, in just the same way as there is nothing wrong with what the other guys are saying, it really just depends on the trade off between time and flavour - that being before you get into sourdough- different game entirely.

If I had to guess I'd say that JO had a couple of reasons for that much yeast, climate and he does short cooking TV shows :)

Thing is that whilst there could be differences they wont be massive, he mostly just seems to want to get people to BAKE bread rather than buy it, so it had best work :)

That said I did realise after I posted that back in the day, late 70s, of learning bread baking I have no recollection of ever using more than one Tandaco sachet - I do recall throwing a lot out because it was past best :)

Fresh really is best - just not always realistic.

Cheers
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

SilentBoB wrote:I'm with Ali on giving your bread as much time as possible to proof. Just like BBQ, your bread will benefit from the low n slow train of thought.

I like to make a poolish the night before, equal parts flour and water with just a pinch of yeast. Let this work away for a good 14 hours or so overnight. I then finish off the bread the next day... Adds a real nice sour note to the loaf and packs it with flavour.

Talking of sour notes I plan on getting my own sourdough culture started this week at some point after stocking up on baking supplies over the weekend :)
Yep do this. Use these measurements if you want to be more precise:

250g flour
275g water
1/2 tsp yeast

Mix and leave overnight.

In the morning mix another 250g flour and 2tsp salt. Knead for a couple of minutes and leave to rest on the bench all day in cooler weather.

Shape and bake about an hour before you want to cook it (under proved is fine, over proved is no good). Bake!
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

Hey Paul if I'm after a quick loaf then this is the recipe I use:

450g strong white flour
150g either wholemeal or rye flour
350-380ml water
8g yeast
9g salt

It will produce a loaf in a few hours that tastes good, the sourdough thing is a whole other ball game, I've got a starter in my fridge right now but it's a bit of work and requires a bit of knowledge to bake with, tastes great though so definitely check that out!