grain mill

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
niko123456

grain mill

Post by niko123456 »

don't suppose anyone here has ever attempted to grind their own flour?

apparently the taste is sensational.

anyone have a grain miller they can recommend?
wedwards

grain mill

Post by wedwards »

I mill barley for making beer, but not to a powder. Stuck at home looking after sick family and just saw some add on tv saying those gadgets like the nutribullet come with a milling blade so that might be an option. You would get wholemeal flour from it though as it would include the shells etc. and it's not a lot at a time either, but worth a try for some fun
WarmBeer

Re: grain mill

Post by WarmBeer »

You'll find a bunch of us who also dabble in the hobby of beer brewing also own grain mills, but they are specially designed to 'crack' the grains, rather than mill them to a flour consistency.

I believe the 'Marga' brand grain mills can be used to produce flour, but jeez, it's gonna work your biceps.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Yes.. well I dump and stir beer brew, but have been interested in all grain brewing for a while, so that would be an added bonus.

There are definitely a few milling options out there.. some are eBay and cheap.. and some are super expensive.
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

niko123456 wrote: There are definitely a few milling options out there.. some are eBay and cheap.. and some are super expensive.
Mine is a Monster Mill (v2 if I recall correctly). It's got gnurled rollers, and is adjustable for roller-gap, so might be okay to mill finer things such as flour. I run mine with a hand-held Engineer's drill, as it takes a good amount of torque to crack things like wheat and/or rye.

I got it about 2 years ago, when the $AUD was doing better against the Greenback, but like anything, it's worth buying once, and buying right. They're a solid piece of kit that should last hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of milling.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

I got given a hand stainless steel burr grinder. It works quite well. It's called a Victorio deluxe hand mill, or something. It is quite affordable on Amazon (at least compared to other options).

I've attempted to bake with 100% whole wheat. It's tough! It changes everything. Results have been pretty hopeless so far, except for the taste which has been quite good.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

This is an old time coffee bur grinder it is adjustable from whole corn size to corn flower
Junk shop find
sosman

Post by sosman »

that's a keeper
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

So I'm currently eating a home made sourdough that contains 40% fresh milled whole wheat and 10% fresh milled rye. It is amazing. Like.. Out of this world amazing.
flyonline

Post by flyonline »

http://www.milkwood.net/2015/07/16/goin ... ll-review/, or direct link to Aussie seller http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/electric.htm.

Would love to get one, but can't justify the price, though the hand mills certainly look a possibility.
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Yep way too expensive, considering how much of a challenge whole wheat is (ie, you still need white flour). But it is the biz if you've got the cash!