Best Aussie flour for Pizza

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Ok so I cant get some of the recommended flour in Perth for an authentic pizza.
So what is the best Aussie flour that I can buy in bulk? 20-25kg
Groovy Gorilla

Re: Best Aussie flour for Pizza

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Lots of talk about Italian flours being the best,I think you will find Italy imports lots of wheat from Australia and Northern Africa to make its flour and then puts its logo on it.
Im really happy with the results I get from Wallaby
I had Pizza yesterday with a 48 hour slow ferment in the fridge it was excellent....better than any I have bought.
chilling while grilling
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Grillnoob, you might want to try these guys and ask for a quote on the delivery to Perth: http://shop.icnussa.com.au/p/8620492/ca ... -25kg.html
Groovy Gorilla wrote:Lots of talk about Italian flours being the best,I think you will find Italy imports lots of wheat from Australia and Northern Africa to make its flour and then puts its logo on it.
If it was that simple there wouldn't be a difference between any flour other than the logo.
My view is that there is a huge difference in how flour is processed and the quality control aspects of sourcing and production and this makes a huge difference to flour characteristics.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I agree grind and protein level is important,but thats pretty universal amongst all bread flours.
I'm really happy with the local branded stuff and I'm not chasing a minuscule improvement (maybe) that I probably cant detect for a massive increase in price.
Ive had Pizzas in Naples,my bench mark is very high and Im very happy with what I can do with Wallaby.
chilling while grilling
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I have just recently used OO. I am not positive, I believe that is a grind. Not sure it has to be Italian, but if you can find OO in Perth, try it and see what you think!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Personally I use atta flour for most everything, particularly good for pizzas. Atta is just a very fine ground whole wheat flour, if you google "atta flour perth" you'll find plenty of local sources here for bulk buys.

Cheers
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Have just been using the Lauke bread flour in 10kg bags from Woolies or coles
http://laucke.com.au/our-products/home-baker-products/
Just thought I would check out some other Aussie brands of flour that were good.
Next round of Pizza i will focus on the dough making and rising method a bit more and see if that makes any difference.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Grillnoob wrote:Have just been using the Lauke bread flour in 10kg bags from Woolies or coles
Just thought I would check out some other Aussie brands of flour that were good.
Next round of Pizza i will focus on the dough making and rising method a bit more and see if that makes any difference.
Are you NOR or SOR?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
magste

Post by magste »

I use normal flour, plain or wholemeal and mix in about 0.5-1 tbsp gluten flour per cup of flour. This gives better pizzeria like texture. Gluten Flour is available from Kakula Bros in Northbridge.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks for the tips everyone
I am SOR UG
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hilton IGA and South Freo IGA both have 00 flour....I'm thinking any italian IGA would!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

Wallaby here as well, tried many, settled on Wallaby.
Proven performer, and readily available at reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Grillnoob wrote:Have just been using the Lauke bread flour in 10kg bags from Woolies or coles
Ive tried a few of their bread mixes and they make a very good softer loaf and a good pizza but I like to keep it simple with their Wallaby brand,I think its straight flour nothing else,I also use it for my sour doughs because I dont want to change the mother too much.
Though I love French bread and that does have fava(broad) bean flour for protein and flavour and improvers for texture and wheat germ for flavour and texture but we are talking pizzas
chilling while grilling
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Thanks again
Gonna get some Wallaby and some Italian stuff from an Italian IGA if I can
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »