Wood Fired Pizza Oven

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Jamesjfa

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by Jamesjfa »

Hi Everyone

I am hoping someone who has one of these can answer.

I really like the look of these ovens (like the ones shown here http://www.alfrescowoodfiredovens.com.au)

I would use it for cooking etc but in winter would like it to double up as an outdoor heater. What I've read is that the outside can be cool to touch so makes me doubt it's use as a heater.

Can someone who has one, give me their opinion on such a use?

Cheers
James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gumb

Re: Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by Gumb »

Forget it as a heater. Good pizza ovens trap the heat inside and while the exterior may be a bit warm on some types, or even quite hot on others like my Maximus, they would be useless as a heater. The heat coming out of the door wouldn't be enough to warm an outdoor area. A good BBQ/oven is just that, and a good wood heater is a completely different animal. Why not buy a slow combustion wood heater or an open fire type. I have one on the deck here and we are currently doing one at my son's house. Pics below are of my deck, then the one under copnstruction. You can get these heaters for a reasonable price as people pull them out of homes in favour of gas log fires. Both these are second hand. Just a spray with black high temp paint and they are as good as new.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I wouldn't aim to get a WFO to be a heater James. You can buy lots of cheap outdoor heater solutions, I wouldn't compromise the oven for it. Even bunnings has chimneas that might do the job for you.
Jamesjfa

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by Jamesjfa »

Thank you for your replies. Just confirmed what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozscot

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Post by ozscot »

Gumb wrote:I have one on the deck here
Looks good. Does that go alright straight on the timber deck? Doesn't get too hot?

Cheers,
Steve
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

If it's installed properly it's no problem. The top pic is a free standing model and has air flow from underneath. It sits off the ground on a wood box and we have cafe blinds right behind it. They never even get warm. The one being built is insulated with hebel blocks, much as they do when installed indoors. We'll cover the outside surrounds in blue board and render it.
gnol

Post by gnol »

I'm with gumb on this.
Pick up and old coonara and smoke the neighbourhood out.

mattbehnke

Post by mattbehnke »

Hello,
Go here and read the features: https://www.sydneyheaters.com.au/produc ... zza-ovens/
I hope you will have both options by choosing a wood-fired pizza oven.
Thanks