What cheese do you use for pizza?

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Groovy Gorilla

Re: What cheese do you use for pizza?

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I loved Naples and its pizza
Standing up skulling a short black is not my fave but had a few there especially at kiosks near train stations.
Usually followed by an Averna in the evening or a grappa in the morning
chilling while grilling
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Groovy Gorilla wrote:I tried some Fior di latte last week it released a fair bit of liquid at lower temps.
Im going to try draining this weekends version to see if it makes a difference.
I've found that it really needs to be drained. I've been using bocconcini lately. I use a boiled egg slicer like this one to slice them, then drain them for about an hour:
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

pierre wrote:
chrisg wrote:The same mix as the Italian momma who taught me a deal about Italian cooking in general, a mix of mozzarella and cheddar, exact ratios vary but roughly 50/50.

A lot of people I know do just just mozzarella but I prefer, and so do a lot of Italians, to have the flavour of cheddar with the elasticity of mozzarella.

There's a Kraft mixture now that I've seen that has those two and another, Romano I think, sounds interesting but not tried it.

Cheers
I don't know what italians you know, but in Italy cheddar does not exist let alone used on pizza
:)

Cheddar is a style of cheese making but generically it's similar, certainly not the same and no, not called that. However I'm talking of times way back, I was flying for a living in Europe in the 70s. I did on more than one occasion take a block of cheddar, probably picked it up at Selfridges, down with me to Italy as a gift, they liked it but it really was not much different to a local cheese in the south and another up around Savona that I've sampled.

Dunno about "knowing" Italians, I do, here in Australia and in the US and many more in Italy itself having lived there for around a year or so in bits and pieces. That was split out around Brindisi, in the hills above Savona, In Rome and in Naples in the main.

Cheese is a strange thing in the ways it adopts regions, most particularly across Europe but if there is one style that is truly totally International it probably is cheddar :)

Cheers