Ready made pizza base

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Ozymandias

Ready made pizza base

Post by Ozymandias »

Hi guys.....

I really love Italian-style Pizza and have yet to dind a cecent parlour. I was thinking of making my own pizzas on my weber q on a pizza stone, though I am a bit sceptical when it comes to making my own pizza base (totally useless when it comes to doughs)
I was wondering if you guys knew whether there was any decent ready-made pizza bases out there. I saw one in Wooly's Toscano Brand that looked interesting
Nath

Re: Ready made pizza base

Post by Nath »

Ozymandias wrote:Hi guys.....

I really love Italian-style Pizza and have yet to dind a cecent parlour. I was thinking of making my own pizzas on my weber q on a pizza stone, though I am a bit sceptical when it comes to making my own pizza base (totally useless when it comes to doughs)
I was wondering if you guys knew whether there was any decent ready-made pizza bases out there. I saw one in Wooly's Toscano Brand that looked interesting
Not sure about pre-made ones really.
Best option would be to call your local pizza shop, or find a good pizzeria and ask them if they can sell you some dough.
Obviously a problem if you cant find a decent local pizza joint.
Nath
Craig308

Post by Craig308 »

Have a go at making your own it is easy just need a set of scales and a mixer with a dough hook or knead the dough yourself.
I was not confident about dough then one day i had ago and they turn out alright now we do not buy bases at all
Cheers Craig
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I've tried them and they are OK but not in the same league as our home made bases. As Craig said, we don't buy pre-made bases any more either but give them a shot, it won't cost you much to try.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I do keep a pack of them around, my kids, little heathens, still prefer them to my own dough. Nothing to do with taste, they prefer the shape :)

They are just not in the same league as DIY but the McCain ones are ok.

Cheers
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Making Italian style pizza also requires high temperatures that will not be achievable in the Weber Q.

I suggest you go for a more common pizza if you're cooking on the Q.
I also suggest you make your own dough. I also suggest you do this by hand as it is easy and worth learning. No need for mixers (I have one and have stopped using it).
It will be difficult to get better instructions than these.
This video is also quite handy for seeing the techniques used (although I'd follow the posts ingredient quantities).
http://youtu.be/ZIZVIRPrfdQ?list=PL4JtW ... 9YiONUbawT

No matter how much you screw it up, it'll be miles better than what you can buy.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I just buy those Lebanese bread type pizza bases from the local Coles...it's the wholemeal type, decent shape and because both me and the Mrs like very thin and crispy, these are ideal, don't droop, crunches like a biscuit........I just use baking paper between it and the stone for the first part of the cook-up to prevent burning.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I use this for BBQ School, in any supermarket! Use the "Hand Moulding" recipe on the back...all you need to do is add water! Couldn't be easier!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I've used that Chris, in fact I have a pack in the pantry right now. I was a little skeptical at first but a friend had good results and when I had a look at the pricing it was a case of for those results and good convenience a no-brainer.

An ex-wife of mine (don't ask :) ) was a home economics teacher, she most always used pita bread because of class time constraints and worked out pretty good really.

It's true, you can't really get high enough temperatures in the Weber Q, although it's not disastrous, it's just a different take on home-made pizza.

Cheers
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I just re-read my post from last night and oh dear, how many times do I use the word "suggest"? :roll: I need a proof reader! :lol:
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

After trying a range of different techniques for pizza bases some time ago, I came across the following product.
http://laucke.com.au/our-products/home- ... -focaccia/

Great results every time on my Weber Family Q. Cooked on a thick teflon sheet for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, on a stone which has been raised up off the trivet with small tuna tins. After 3 to 4 minutes I slide the teflon sheet out and then cook the pizza directly on the stone. Cooking times vary depending on the amount of topping on the pizza and the ambient temperature of the day/evening.

Any questions, please ask.
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

I bought the Laucke Crusty White Bread packet that UG suggested above, and plan to try the hand knead recipe at the back this weekend. I noticed the instructions for small / medium / large bowls for bread machines say to vary the yeast. I don't have a bread machine but noticed there is no specific mention of how much yeast to use in the hand knead instructions.

My question is - do I just use all the yeast that came in the packet?

I've never baked before so am ignorant of all the basics! Appreciate any guidance and wisdom for a bread newbie :D
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Ive had the one in the more posh section of the fridge near the better cheeses in woolies and it wasnt bad but no where near a home made base.
Ounce you have made your own base 3 or 4 times you will never buy another base again.
Then you will start retarding the rise for 24 hours in the fridge love the taste and never go to a pizza shop again.
chilling while grilling
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

For when I couldn't be bothered with making my own (often) I use:

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/sho ... e-handmade

These are nice and thin and crispy when cooked. I've always got a few of these in the freezer for when impromptu gatherings happen.
Weber Family Q
57cm Black Charcoal Weber
47cm Maroon Charcoal Weber
keithgh

Post by keithgh »

I am far from a Pizza expert I saw a demo of the Weber Q cooking Pizza and they were great.

My Webber Q I preheat on high for 20min and the temp is usually around the 250-300 mark, I will double check in a few days time

They were using a bought base.

I buy the same base its the Smoke House pizza kitchen Woodfired Pizza Bases, local Deli

It is fresh frozen (not cooked) and always kept in the freezer

They are hand made in Sorrento Vic.

Keith :D :D