Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe Instructions

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
damianpyro

Re: Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe Instructions

Post by damianpyro »

Why no sugar, I thought you needed sugar to "feed" the yeast?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I always "bloom" my yeast with some sugar, but I don't always follow directions correctly too!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

damianpyro wrote:Why no sugar, I thought you needed sugar to "feed" the yeast?
You don't. Yeast will happily feed on flour.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Narmnaleg wrote:
Yep, Enzymes break the starch into simple sugars that feed the yeast (and makes alcohol), it's a slower process, but slow fermentation means better tasting bread.....cold water works better than warm for the same reason.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
sosman

Post by sosman »

urbangriller wrote:
Narmnaleg wrote:
Yep, Enzymes break the starch into simple sugars that feed the yeast (and makes alcohol), it's a slower process, but slow fermentation means better tasting bread.....cold water works better than warm for the same reason.

Cheers
Chris
From where I sit in my comfy armchair I am not completely satisfied with that answer. I headed over to wolfram alpha (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=wheat+flour) and it shows that wheat flour contains quite a bit of sugar. While I don't reject the idea totally of enzymes (such as alpha and beta amylase) breaking down simple starches (as in mashing barley to create wort prior fermentation) - my best bet is that the yeast gets right to work on the sugar already present.

IIRC alpha amylase works best around 64 C which is too hot for yeast so maybe there is not even any secondary break down of starch into sugar when proofing yeast.
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Not sure how you interpret less than 1g of sugar per 100g as "quite a bit".
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Also, mashing grain is not done with yeast, so I don't think there is much of a comparison there.
sosman

Re:

Post by sosman »

niko123456 wrote:Not sure how you interpret less than 1g of sugar per 100g as "quite a bit".
Fair point - maybe enough.
sosman

Re:

Post by sosman »

niko123456 wrote:Also, mashing grain is not done with yeast, so I don't think there is much of a comparison there.
The point wasn't that you mash with yeast, my point was that to prepare the wort for action by the yeast you mash it, ie the enzyme action is applied prior to introducing the yeast.
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

No, but I think i mean if you had the enzymes that were available in yeast you wouldn't need water at 68'C to convert starch into simple sugars.
sosman

Re:

Post by sosman »

niko123456 wrote:No, but I think i mean if you had the enzymes that were available in yeast you wouldn't need water at 68'C to convert starch into simple sugars.
Like I said earlier, I'm not saying the enzyme theory is wrong, I am just looking for a simpler explanation. If someone digs out a reference to enzymes found in flour that work at room temperature then I'm a believer.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Have a read of this boys:

http://www.biokemi.org/biozoom/issues/516/articles/2309

Some high temp Amylase only act during baking to stop stalling and create high volume loaves....but there are others, each with its own party trick.

Interesting science.

Think of the activity you get in a sourdough starter after a few days with just flour and water, not even yeast, just amazing!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
BeachedBro

Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe Instructions

Post by BeachedBro »

Used the method in this thread to make pizza last night in a my mother in laws wood fired oven.

Only had 2 problems and I think I figured it out in the end. First up its summer and I took all my dough portions out of the fridge at same time. The first pizza was really easy to manage but I made it too thin in the middle. I got it in the oven and noticed the temp dropping. The oven was around 400 c just before but the surface was obviously colder as the pizza wasn't cooking fast enough. When I tired to move it the centre broke and I made a mess of oven floor. I saved it by folding it in half and making a calzone Lol.

I then decided to the get the oven hotter and clean the floor so moved the hot coals over the messy area from my failed attempt. Got the fire going again real hot. Moved it over and waited a little longer. By this time the dough had been out for over an 1.5 and I noticed it was a springing back badly every time I tried to make a base.

Anyway the remaining pizza were still amazing but I learnt a lot for my next attempt in a few days time.

ImageImage
cumagutsa

Post by cumagutsa »

IfI wanted to freeze the dough balls at what stage would I do it?
And would you wrap them is cling wrap to freeze or put them in separate containers?

cheers Darren
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I use snap lock bags and freeze before rise
chilling while grilling