Artisan Breads & No Knead Ideas

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Dave

Re: Artisan Breads & No Knead Ideas

Post by Dave »

Hi all,
I have been reading this through, & these are the bits I'm not sure of:
Flour work surface a little, and I fold the dough once, turn, fold it the other way once, roll so the seam is down, flour top a little and cover with tea towel.
A few hours later when the dough has risen (doubled) and become springy, slash with a sharp knife, then tip the dough up into the tea towel and then inverse over the dutch oven,
Cheers, Dave
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Importing Louisiana Pellet Grills into Australia
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Dave wrote:Hi all,
I have been reading this through, & these are the bits I'm not sure of:
Flour work surface a little, and I fold the dough once, turn, fold it the other way once, roll so the seam is down, flour top a little and cover with tea towel.
A few hours later when the dough has risen (doubled) and become springy, slash with a sharp knife, then tip the dough up into the tea towel and then inverse over the dutch oven,
Cheers, Dave

Bucc'l be along soon but pretty much as he says.
Just dig the dough out of the tub and put it on the bench. Then fold it in half, say from the front to the back. Then fold it again but from the side this time. After that I just turned the bit with most of the edges to the bottom and patted it into the shape I wanted. Then let it rise and cook it.

I did the first one like Chris did on a sheet of baking paper that we pulled out once the crust had formed a bit. The second one I cooked in a bowl or you could use a cake tin etc. I think it'd be better just on a tray though.

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Dough folding helps build structure in the gluten without heaps of kneeding:

Buc is baking his in a cast iron dutch oven (camp oven), if you are not doing that, just transfer it to a pizza stone when you are ready.

Cherrs
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Well, for a kneaded bread the full description is knead and fold, I've always thought the folding does at least as much to develop the gluten sheets as the knead anyway. Simply put stretches the dough.

It's just plain too damned cold to make bread at the moment but promises to warm up, all ingredients are waiting :)

(Tell you what though, force of habit, I had to stop myself from kneading the batch of no-knead I made a few weeks back :) )

Cheers
Dave

Post by Dave »

My bread went ok, but not great. Was very dense & heavy.

Cheers, Dave
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Importing Louisiana Pellet Grills into Australia
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!