First Pizza on the Q

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
EmZed

Re: First Pizza on the Q

Post by EmZed »

I'm sure any brand will work just as well....I just happen to have Lodge.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Do the high sides of this style of pan impede even cooking temps on a BBQ...?

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

chrisg wrote:
Pics when it's cooked, probably tomorrow, just depends on this sudden summer weather :)

Cheers
Hopefully a good result mate, how did it turn out?
EmZed

Post by EmZed »

Card Shark wrote:Do the high sides of this style of pan impede even cooking temps on a BBQ...?

If anything, I think they help as the sides get very hot and the crust is always crispy. I'm no expert by any means, but I've cooked at least a dozen pizzas using this method and everyone has a crisp firm base. This particular one had a slightly thicker base than what I usually do, but it doesn't seem to matter. Before I had the Genisis E330, I would put the pan over a gas cooktop for a couple of minutes to get the base started and the pan heated up before transferring it to the BBQ on high heat. Since getting the Weber, I just do the whole thing in the BBQ, as it is much better at retaining the high temps needed to cook the pizza in under 10 mins.
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

EmZed wrote:
Busio90 wrote:Would love to see some pics EmZed! Sounds good

Nath

Here you go...and no, I don't work for Lodge :D
Looks great....that cast iron pan looks interesting! Where did you get that from?

Just got my Weber Q 320 on Saturday and did pizza first cook they were really nice. Where I bought the Q from had Weber demonstrators cooking there on Saturday and Sunday and they were cooking pizzas both days and had a chance to taste them off the Q. There were great, they use a pre made pizza base which chrispens nicely....

One of the forum members here was the demonstration cook......thanks Gary for the yak and tastes. :D

Cheers,

Fleetz
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Opps just reread the post.....Target for $6....thanks.
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Can't go wrong for that money. Certainly more durable than a stone!
waterboy

Post by waterboy »

fleetz wrote:Opps just reread the post.....Target for $6....thanks.
Looks like we've hi-jacked Chrisg thread. :) Hope you don't mind.

Lodge gear is a bit more expensive than $6. We have bought it from places like Peters of Kensington or Kitchen Ware direct

see:
http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pu ... ands=Lodge

Interesting they have a cast iron pizza pan - I think I'll start up a discussion about the merits of cooking on a pizza stone vs other methods....
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

The Whiz has a good page on stones. CS http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Not a problem hi-jacking :)

Especially as the weather has kept me from cooking the pizza yet - cooling down now so tomorrow is the goal, been gardening today, chilies :)

I like the idea of cast iron, seen that done lots of places but haven't cooked a pizza on one yet.

Cast iron is usually a bit more maintenance but worth it. I have a new stone so probably use that for the first pizza but I seem to be becoming a huge recycler, like some dismantled Ikea furniture is on its third cycle as shelves :) I have an ancient cast iron frypan that was once electric, that part died so recovered the cast iron - damned heavy so doesn't get a lot of use, was looking at it today and realised if I hacksaw the handle off it will work great for what is being shown in the thread :)

( That recycle is sentimental really, last present my grandmother ever gave me. )

My wife sometimes bitches about me hoarding and she had a point when we downsized but having just converted a bunch of otherwise scrap into a perfect workbench for my business for a grand total of $10 which otherwise would have been little change from a grand she begins to understand.

Perhaps more germane to this thread an old roll around tool box is my Q stand, complete with storage and the overflow is an old steel stationary cupboard that someone was tossing out. All looks and works good, sits under the eaves and with a bit of treatment no weather problems.

Just seems sensible really, I don't think I need to preach it here but the stuff that goes out in hard rubbish is just incredible. The weenies always want to try and police it - I just knock and say if you are chucking that out mind if I take it? Met some great people that way. Computers bemuse me the most - have picked up several, fixed them, done some minor upgrades and offered them back to the owners for a few bucks, some very happy people :)

A more responsible planet can be nothing but a good thing and I do honestly think BBQ is a part of that :)

Cheers
EmZed

Post by EmZed »

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post....I do like the sound of all that recycling you have going on.....the cast iron is heavy, but I'd love to hear how the recycled pan works..... I've heard the older the better with cast iron, so you might be on a winner there! :lol:
EmZed

Post by EmZed »

fleetz wrote:Opps just reread the post.....Target for $6....thanks.
I got it from Amazon when they were still shipping Lodge to Australia, but I noticed they aren't any longer. It cost me around $100 including postage - around the time the dollar was at parity.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Well the old frypan is about 30 years old so pretty well seasoned :)

Cheers
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

Well, a basically successful first attempt except I didn't get time for pics before it was consumed. :)

Just did the recipe as described in the first post and used the pavers to lift the pizza tray (didn't use the stone first pass) into the hot zone on the trivet with foil.

It was well cooked at 20 minutes, just starting to really darken at the crust edge so pulled it out and it was cooked through.

So if anyone tries to tell me again that the smaller Qs don't get hot enough I have my answer :)

It tasted great, although perhaps a bit too crispy for my liking, might add a tray of water next time but with the basics proven for my setup time to experiment :)

Cheers