Kamado Pizza - our Friday night ritual

PIZZAS, BREADS, CAKES & DESERTS ON BBQ
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I've tried lots of ways to get a good pizza in the kamado and have finally settled on this method.

Best to show you by way of a short video.......

Pizza base made in the Thermomix (literally takes less than 5 minutes which includes kneading), then left to rise for 45 minutes and the bases are ready to go. Recipe is just 280ml water, 20g oil, 2 tspn salt, 500g bakers flour, and 1 satchet (30g) of dry yeast.

Grill bases first on one side over the direct charcoal.

A light coat of oil and toppings go on the grilled side

Pizzas go in to the kamado at 250c for about 10- 15 minutes depending on the topping used. The prawn pizza has a basil pesto dip added (also made in the Thermomix - love that machine)

I like a bit of crunch on the base but not crispy all the way through, it's got to be soft inside for my liking.

For the trays, I've tried normal trays with no holes, trays with baking paper underneath, and putting the pizza on the stone near the end to brown the bottom. I've settled on the trays with the holes, as they seem to cook better on the bottom and I don't need to use the stone.

Anyway, just my experiences. I know we all do it differently but I've found this to be idiot proof and very consistent in the results.
shayneh2006

Re: Kamado Pizza - our Friday night ritual

Post by shayneh2006 »

Bloody fantastic Gumb :wink:

All of those Pizzas had my mouth watering. Top class :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

Thanks for posting this. I don't have the holey tray but will have a go today at grilling the base over direct heat.

That crunch as you cut the pizzas sounds perfect!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hmmm....it's Friday Tomorrow!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
gnol

Post by gnol »

urbangriller wrote:Hmmm....it's Friday Tomorrow!

Chris
Where are these foothills?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

gnol wrote:

Chris
Where are these foothills?
It'll be Pizza for Managements dinner tomorrow!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Post by Nath »

Chris
Exactly what I was thinking :)

Nath
Nath
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

Well, that totally solved the issue that's been the bane of my pizzas for a long time: bottom of base cooked but top still gluggy.

I just kept plugging away, trying to find the ideal temperatures & cooking time, but a quick upside-down blast of the base before starting worked a treat.

Just a slight bit of arseing around, taking the grill off & replacing with a deflector & pizza stone - which then took a bit of heat out & required a good 15 minutes or more to get back up to cooking temperature.

Still, should be able to tinker with the technique with more practice.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

What i found interesting was the fact that the pizza was not cooked on the deflector.. and the deflector was actually being used...

i was planning on chucking on another cheapie pizza stone ontop of the deflector.. and cook the pizza off that.. ??
Nath

Post by Nath »

skuzy wrote:What i found interesting was the fact that the pizza was not cooked on the deflector.. and the deflector was actually being used...

i was planning on chucking on another cheapie pizza stone ontop of the deflector.. and cook the pizza off that.. ??
I did that tonight with my first go at pizza on the kamado.
Bottom cooks a little before the top, so these suggestions are good

Nath
Nath
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

An alternative to mucking around with the pizza stone is to grill them on the gasser, that works just as well and you can have the kamado heating up at the same time. But generally I just put the pizza stone on to the grill and use that as the deflector. I can then put the pizza on it if needed but I'm finding that the base is about right just by being on the tray. I used to use baking paper under the pizza but that was when I had normal trays, not the hole type. It's a bit of trial and error but per grilling has solved most of the problems and gives you a bit of margin to work with.
Jasmine

Post by Jasmine »

Looks great! jump on the Friday pizzas night tradition.