Ham for Newbies

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
steinyboys

Ham for Newbies

Post by steinyboys »

I would like to buy a full leg of pork and a full belly as well. Ham and bacon at same time, would I use the same brine? is a dry cure worthwhile? Hoping for a really good recipe form an expert, Being my first attempt would I be better off getting a store bought brine? I would like to cold smoke for what ever time required and maybe follow up with hot smoking good idea or not? any help appreciated
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
steinyboys

Re: Ham for Newbies

Post by steinyboys »

bump :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
hoddo

Re: Ham for Newbies

Post by hoddo »

Tons of info if you do a search, no easy answers as a lot of different ways to do it. I'm no expert but here's a few thoughts on your questions. Yes same brine can be used for ham and bacon, bacon you can use a wet or dry brine depending on how you like your bacon. Ham I suggest wet brine is easier and you will need to inject along the bone. Make your own brine its easy, just water sugar salt and Cure#1 (nitrite), again many recipes here and on other sites if you search. If you are going to cold smoke you should use nitrite in the brine. Cold smoke followed by hot to about 160f is good for ham, bacon can be cold smoked only them sliced as its cooked before eating.