Bradley Maple Flavour Cure

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Flippo

Bradley Maple Flavour Cure

Post by Flippo »

Hey guys,

Looking for pointers from anyone who does/has used this stuff to make bacon or other stuff.

I'd love to have a crack at making my own bacon with it but I'm not 100% sure on how long to brine for etc. I looked on the Bradley website and there is an explanation for Maple Canadian bacon (http://bradleysmoker.com.au/recipes/map ... ian-bacon/) but to me it seems a bit ambiguous.

The parts that I find ambiguous are:

Where he says that he leaves it cure for 21 days (his preference). Could anyone provide any advice on this? Is 21 days too long, about right, what would you suggest? I understand it depends on the size of the meat, I'll probably be doing loin with or without the belly attached, depending on what I can get. I'll try and get 5-6kgs but this might change. I have a feeling I know how big this is bit if I'm wrong it will very likely change, maybe more, maybe less.

He also says "After it has cured rinse the meat well and let soak for two hours. Rinse the meat WELL, when you think you are done, do it again. Unless you want really salty meat skip this and you probably won’t want to make bacon again".

So I understand about rinsing the meat well and soaking for two hours. Then I assume, going by the text, you rinse the meat well again (after soaking) but then he says, when you think you are done, do it again. Now I honestly do apologise if this seems simple to others but do you think this means after the initial rinse/soak/rinse, then you soak it again or just rinse it one more time i.e twice. In other words rinse/soak/rinse/rinse.... or....rinse/soak/rinse/soak/rinse? I hope this makes sense.

If anyone could provide any advice I would be most appreciative. This board is a great wealth of information and experience and I thank any and all in advance of your replies/advice.

Thanks
Flippo
urbangriller

Re: Bradley Maple Flavour Cure

Post by urbangriller »

I read that as rinse twice, then soak once.

3 weeks in brine is fine, so is two weeks...or just one. He's just making sure he has penetration.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

Thanks Chris.

Meant to add in my initial post that this is the dry cure method if that makes any difference?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Same Same.....even more reason for the long curing time, it takes a while for the dry cure to penetrate. 800g will be just enough for one belly if you are careful, I'd use more.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I use Maple bacon cure from Misty Gully (now trading under a different name but can't remember) and it says cure for at least 5 days. I usually go a week and it' fine. They have the same instructions to rinse and then soak for a couple of hours.
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Gumb wrote:I use Maple bacon cure from Misty Gully (now trading under a different name but can't remember) and it says cure for at least 5 days. I usually go a week and it' fine. They have the same instructions to rinse and then soak for a couple of hours.
Would love to have a go at this, but can't find it on their new website.

Is there any "secret ingredients" to their specific cure, or should I try to find an alternate recipe on this forum?
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The Maple cure seems to have been deleted but they have this one.......

http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/buckboard-bacon-cure/
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Is it just me or can you not taste the maple syrup once you've smoked and cooked the bacon?
I've used the Misty Gully cure and found that by the time it's on the plate you can't taste any maple syrup flavour
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hogsy wrote:Is it just me or can you not taste the maple syrup once you've smoked and cooked the bacon?
I've used the Misty Gully cure and found that by the time it's on the plate you can't taste any maple syrup flavour
Same here but I give it a fair bit of smoke so I figured I'd drown it out. But I know what you mean, it's debatable that it does anything. A mate of mine gets his maple cure from a butcher in NZ and reckons it's the bees knees but we had some last week and I couldn't really taste the difference.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Yeah I'm thinking cooking it in maple syrup or adding maple syrup when serving will have a better result
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

Have a look at the directions in the link in my original post boys. Old mate adds maple syrup after about three days curing, massages it for the duration of the cure and then coats it again pre cooking. Having never done it before I have no idea if this is an effective method or not. Maybe even a maple mop during the cook, not unlike the last hour of doing ribs etc, let it really caramelise on the meat real thick like.