Muppets Characuterie Adventure Ham & Bacon

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Inspired by Gnol's recent efforts I just had to have a go at Characuterie. I purchased the book Characuterie the craft of salting and smoking and on my last R&R started with the basics.
The recipes and methods I used were straight from the book although the more I read about it the more I think one needs to do their homework before trying. Therefore Im not willing to post the recipes.

Ham
I picked a wet brine for the scotch that consisted of salt, brown sugar and cure No 1. No aromatics or such as I can use this as a baseline. Mixed up the desired amount, injected then submerged in a airtight container for a week.

Bacon
For the Bellies I went with a dry cure of salt, white sugar and cure No 1. One just basic and the other added maple syrup for a sweeter product. I used the salt box method as described in the book (basicly covering with the cure and shaking the excess off) then vac sealed and into the fridge for a week as well. Turning twice a day.
Last edited by Muppet on Fri May 01, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Muppet

Re: Muppets Characuterie Adventure Ham & Bacon

Post by Muppet »

A week later it's time for Smoking, After much searching on the forum I saw that many of the long timers here preferred cold smoking first then finish off with a hot smoke to the desired temp. As luck has it we had a cold night and a new Smokai to try out (thanks Chris) I had a 4l block of ice ready and chilled the Kamado for a couple of hours, Set the Smokai up with plain hickory chips. Starting pit temp was 11C and after a 5 hour smoke it ended up at 17C (pretty happy with that)

Then wrapped them all back up and chilled overnight.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

The next morning was Hot smoking time, I wasn't happy with how it was all fitting so decided to do the bacon and ham seperatly, cleaned out the fire box and stacked a new load of fresh charcoal for a long low and slow. Strategically placed a few hickory chunks which over the cook took some adjusting/maintaining. Bacon first then the ham later. Fired it all up to 210F hooked up the trusty Mav and let the kamado sing until target temp.

Final pics were a bit rushed as my flight was brought forward and time had run out but pretty happy with the results

All in all Ive really enjoyed the process (apart from the waiting) and the bacon, ham are great tasting. Going forward I think next time I need some better bellies as these wernt the best, I have a leg sitting in the freezer for next break and our kids are pretty adamant I'll have to make more :lol: being stuck at work for a month is the hardest part... I only got a small try :(
Baby steps...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mmmmm Home made bacon!!!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

A very good result from the pics, we'll done Muppet, and thanks for sharing.
gnol

Post by gnol »

Looks bloody awesome.
Reminds me that I have not made any belly bacon for a while. Need to get into gear.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

It's the best bacon I have tried 8) Although Ive only ever had the cheap crud from
Supermarkets previously, Thanks again Aussiebbq!
Baby steps...
Nath

Post by Nath »

Great work muppet! Looks great. Don't forget you can use your smokai for the second warm smoke also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Nath wrote:Great work muppet! Looks great. Don't forget you can use your smokai for the second warm smoke also!

I did try mate but was having trouble holding low heat. I'll need to make a plug to block the air leaking past the Smokai
Baby steps...
Nath

Post by Nath »

Fair enough, you could also try using a heat bead snake. 160-180F would be ideal from memory.

Nath
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

That looks great Muppet. YUM!!!
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Just finishing up my second run of ham, as it was quite popular with the family. This time used pork legs and fixed the sealing of the smokai, it's kept a steady 200F all day and smells amazing!

Baby steps...
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Just wondering how you have got the Smokai to sit there. Is it being held with something above it ?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

They are the perfect height to sit with the lid handle just resting on the smokai lid. :D
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Mine just pinches between the fire ring and the chip feeder hole, just enough to hold it straight. I did knock it today and it nearly went over but so far so good

Baby steps...