Muppets Characuterie adventure Pastrami

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

Mate can I ask why the 2 hour steam? Is this time specific?
Narmnaleg

Re:

Post by Narmnaleg »

skuzy wrote:Mate can I ask why the 2 hour steam? Is this time specific?
Muppet that looks sensational!!! I'd also like to know the above.
Muppet

Re: Muppets Characuterie adventure Pastrami

Post by Muppet »

No guys it was more temp specific, it's my understanding you take it all the way to 205F to break down all the collegens for maximum tenderness. I guess by using steam you can push it that far without drying out a rather tough/dry cut.
The piece I had took 2hrs to get to 205F.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks Muppet that makes sense. I'm particularly impressed by how moist it looks despite it being very lean. I'll have to try the steaming to temp method.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Take 2 for pastrami :D Since I don't have the time to brine my own I bought a pre brined brisket, this one is a local product which looks quite good and has some marbling. Decided to half the pepper from last time as it was a bit much for the kids but upped the coriander and smoked paprika.

Now this one is roughly twice the size of the last so my little vegie steamer isn't going to work, I'm thinking I will take it to 160f tonight in the smoke then fridge to let it intensify, then try to steam it either in my webber or kamado tomorrow, does anyone see a problem with using a water tray in the Saffire?
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

No problem as such but I don't think you need a water tray in a Saffire. They hold moisture anyway.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Gumb wrote:No problem as such but I don't think you need a water tray in a Saffire. They hold moisture anyway.
Cheers, although I think the steam is important for this one (it completely changed the texture in the last one)
I'll try getting some steam going like Davo did, will see how it goes.
Baby steps...
pepe

Post by pepe »

Gumb wrote:Someone pass me a bread roll :D

That looks sensational Muppet, I am doing one for sure.

Quick question, did you wrap the beef in cling film after smoking and then steam while wrapped ? I'm concerned the rub would steam off otherwise.

cheers Mick
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

I did my first Pastrami last night marked down at woolies from $15 to $6 bought about 4 so have more to experiment on, I soaked it over night and the dried it in the fridge rolled it in mustard and on with the pepper and corriander, I cooked mine all the way in the kettle till 200F about 6.5 hours, it was delicious and making great sandwiches just have to scrape of the pepper for the kids they love it to, but I read with interest taking it to 160 then fridge overnight and steaming, this will be my next cook but I will slap it in the pressure cooker for 40min instead, can anyone say how it would taste with out the pepper and coriander rub , I f you have young children you will know where I am coming from :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

pepe wrote:
Gumb wrote:Someone pass me a bread roll :D

That looks sensational Muppet, I am doing one for sure.

Quick question, did you wrap the beef in cling film after smoking and then steam while wrapped ? I'm concerned the rub would steam off otherwise.

cheers Mick
No mate, I let the rub set before smoking and it barked up quite well, it did go soft in the Steam but stayed put. Next time I'll try to let the smoke permeate better before steaming. Like you do with bacon.
Baby steps...
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

steinyboys wrote:I did my first Pastrami last night marked down at woolies from $15 to $6 bought about 4 so have more to experiment on, I soaked it over night and the dried it in the fridge rolled it in mustard and on with the pepper and corriander, I cooked mine all the way in the kettle till 200F about 6.5 hours, it was delicious and making great sandwiches just have to scrape of the pepper for the kids they love it to, but I read with interest taking it to 160 then fridge overnight and steaming, this will be my next cook but I will slap it in the pressure cooker for 40min instead, can anyone say how it would taste with out the pepper and coriander rub , I f you have young children you will know where I am coming from :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick
I personally think the amazing ribs rub is a little heavy on pepper, last time I used half the pepper and it was better for kids.
Baby steps...