Bacon - Cold smoking a Pork Loin (and Cheese)

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It's cold here in good old Melbourne town, the perfect day to do a bit of cold smoking. I've got the Smokai filled with some large hickory chips, not the small size as I find they inhibit airflow and tend to go out. I've been curing the loin in some Maple Bacon Cure for the last week so it's ready to go today and thought I might as well add some cheese to the smoke at the same time. It all fits nicely in the kamado with the Smokai pumping smoke through the chip feeder inlet.

I'll take the cheese out after about an hour but give the pork a bit more time, then I'll light a small fire and slowly add some heat until it gets to 140F internal.

Nath

Post by Nath »

Nice! I love how well the smokai fits in the royal! Do you open the bottom vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Gumb

Re: Bacon - Cold smoking a Pork Loin (and Cheese)

Post by Gumb »

I did but smoke was pouring out there too so I shut it again. Doesn't seem to make any difference and it's not like the system needs airflow from underneath. What the Smokai pumps in the side, just comes out the top vent.

One issue with the Smokai fitting the Royal was the tendency for it to fall sideways if you lift the lid, hence the old coat hanger wire around it to stop that happening. I also found the handle of the kamado hit the top of the Smokai before the lid was completely shut so I trimmed a bit off the Smokai lid on the bandsaw.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Nath, I'm in two minds here, and not sure which way to go. I'm still smoking the loin, which is in it's 3rd hour. The sun is out so that doesn't help keep it cold but I've moved the kamado out of direct light. I'm thinking I might keep cold smoking for a few more hours, bung it in the fridge overnight, slice it up in the morning and vac seal it, then freeze it. Alternatively, i can go to the original plan and keep cold smoking for a while, then fire it up with some charoal and slow cook it to about 135-140f internal, then in the fridge, slice when cold and vac seal. I'm not sure what gives the best results, given that whichever way i go, it will be fried before eating.

You've probably done a bit more of this than I have, what do you think ? (Others thoughts are welcome too)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Gumb. Id take it off and chill it just under glad wrap and hot smoke it tomorrow. true double smoking.
But you could cut to the chase and crank up the heat now.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Nath

Post by Nath »

Hey Gumb, I haven't done a heap, but all I have done have been cold smoke/warm smoke afterwards. I haven't done just a straight cold smoke.
I'd stick to the plan if I was you! Probably too late now :D keep you thermometer in to monitor the temp and if it starts getting too warm, you can take it out.

Nath
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with that and hot smoke it, maybe now or maybe tomorrow as Mick suggests. The Smokai has been running for 6 hours ! Just needed a top up a couple of times and a prod inside with a skewer to loosen it up a bit but all in all, you gotta love that thing. :) The missus is making beef stroganoff so I've thrown the chunks beef for that in it too. You can never have too much smoke. :wink:
Nath

Post by Nath »

Nice!

Nath
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yeh, I know where you are comming from. Everytime I just look at my Smokia a little smile of ultimate power creeps in.
One could run an artisan small goods manufacture.
Anyway you go , as Nath said you will be sweet. You have time and options.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

As it turned out, I remembered that this bit of loin was one I got from my local butcher and it was already in the brine when I bought it. It's what he makes his bacon from. Soi it's be brined, cured and now smoked for 6 hours. I'll stick it in the fridge and cut it up tomorrow, then vac seal and freeze, after having some for breaky. Thanks again for the input, it's good to be able to bounce ideas around.
rotten

Post by rotten »

Pics or it didn't happen. Doing the same very soon. So many ways to do it.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

OK, here are the pics....

after 6 hours in the smoke

Sliced in half

Sliced and ready to vac seal

this morning's test run all cooked on the Weber Q

Delish ! In fact the outside bit I sliced was so smokey, I wish it was all like that. Next time I'm thinking I'll cut the loin in to smaller sections before smoking. Or even slice it up completely ?
Nath

Post by Nath »

Or just smoke longer! Tightly wrap and let it mellow for a few days before you slice and freeze.

Nath
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Good call, thanks.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep, it'll develop a more thorough flavour with a bit of fridge time.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!