First attempt @ Cheese

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
skuzy

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by skuzy »

Hi Folks

finally had a go at cold smoking cheese on a cold night in my kamado.. and today im still not sure if it worked? Lol

the whole set up in the kamado was going to be a bit of an experiment for me..

anyhows my aims were pretty simple:
- keep temps below 90F
- smoke for 30-40mins (more importantly ensure there is smoke throughout the entire time)
- dont melt the cheese :D

set up was :
using an old tin + 4 heat beads + fill tin with pistachio shells

thoughts obvious concerns were around keeping the temp in check at 90F
to help with this - a block of ice was added into the kamado as well... ceramic heat deflector was left in the kamado to help separate the heat source

Results:

Didnt melt the cheese lol :D

I managed to keep within 90F for the 40 mins.. but did involve basically shutting all vents when i noticed things creeping up to 87F mark at about 30mins into the cook.. dunno if the heatbeads got hotter.. or the increase was the result of the shells burning.. i think this also stopped the smoke continuing until the end of the cook.

Because i was using pistachio shells.. it didnt take much to create the smoke.. intial temps were about 77F

Still have a few questions going through my head after the experiment - will post these up in the requests section.

cheers
Gumb

Re: First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Gumb »

I smoked cheese for the first time last weekend but used a cold smoker. Worked a treat and if you are going to get serious about smoking cheese or cold meats etc, make one (instructions on ebay) or buy a Smokai from the Gorilla like I did.

I think I over did mine a wee bit. :shock: It was a block of cheddar cut in to cubes and man, does it have a powerful smoke taste now ! I love it.
Ciapek

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Ciapek »

After you smoke your cheese, roll some of it in smoked paprika powder, some in freshly crushed green peppercorns, and some in crushed caraway seeds, then vacuum seal for a week or two to develop a more robust flavour........sensational....
People have suggested to me to roll in dried garlic and charcoal......but this one is untested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ciapek

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Ciapek »

Green and red peppercorn with thyme in these.......Image

Crappy cheap Woolies cheddar cold smoked with Macadamia shells....stunning.....!

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Gee, that looks smashing Ciapek :D

I am going to have to try that when i do my next batch :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Ciapek

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Ciapek »

Really good at room temp with a hearty Red and Crackers.......winter food !

skuzy

Post by skuzy »

ciapek that looks fab

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

I need a vac sealer

Emo

Re:

Post by Emo »

skuzy wrote:I need a vac sealer

I just got one from deals direct for about $70 and its working fine.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Yes I did some chedder in the pellet popper yesterday 1 1/2 on smoke setting with pistachio pellets dident get above 104 deg vack packed and in the fridge [ oh I ate 1/2 of it to test it :lol: ]
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

hi folks..

dumb question with this.. but how long can a few blocks of smoked cheese keep for? assume they are vac sealed?..
ideally i would like to smoke a few blocks at a time but dont want to eat a few blocks at a time if u get me..

cheers
Nath

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Nath »

It will keep for as long as it would unsmoked. Maybe longer. Check out the BB date on the packet though you can probably push that out aswell
Nath
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'm working my way through some I smoked at least a couple of months ago and it's still fine. It's vac sealed.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Quite a long time mate.
I've got one in the fridge I packed on the 14-8-14 and it's stuck in time.
I broke open its brother last week and it was fine.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Couple of hours once its finished mellowing if history at my place is anything to go by.

No seriously, few weeks after smoking and its good, few months and its brilliant. Vac sealed and kept up the back of the fridge and it lasts for ages. Never had one stay still long enough to find out when they aren't any good.

Current batch will be six weeks mellowed before it's given to it's new owner. Christmas batch getting done Sunday with any luck.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.