First attempt @ Cheese

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
skuzy

Re: First attempt @ Cheese

Post by skuzy »

I smoked with Apple wood for the first time last night and noticed a bitter after taste with the cheese.

is this normal? previously having smoked only with pistachio shells I did not notice this bitter after taste.
Nath

First attempt @ Cheese

Post by Nath »

skuzy wrote:I smoked with Apple wood for the first time last night and noticed a bitter after taste with the cheese.

is this normal? previously having smoked only with pistachio shells I did not notice this bitter after taste.
Vac seal it and let it mellow for a few weeks. The bitterness will go. If it's still bitter, you can "shave" off the outside of the cheese to remind the outer "rind"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Nath is right mate, Way to early to eat.
I like you recently found Apple on the bitter side. So on my last batch I decided to try something different.
I smoked the cheese as per normal then piled them up loose on a plate with a loose cling wrap then into the beer fridge for a week to breath. Then I vac sealed them.
Opened the first last night at a party and I think it was spot on.
Either way, If I vac first Im thinking they still need at least a few days opened with a bit of air and under refrigeration.
Warm ambient temperature while smoking can also produce sweating and that almost always adds to bitterness.
It doesn't stop me but I rather expect it when smoking cheese in the warmer months. As Nath said the cheese can be shaved and has been done for thousands of years.
That's just part of real smoked cheese.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

very interesting. thanks Gents... this time i used an Ikea stainless steel colander to do the smoke.. (idea taken from elsewhere)..
works very well however wouldnt work well with pistachio shells... i have some ideas on how to modify my smoking tin for this :D