Luncheon Mea

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Ciapek

Luncheon Mea

Post by Ciapek »

When you are out of time, and you have a piece of cheap Woolies Pork Shoulder......you make sandwitch filler !

Ingredients,

2kg pork shoulder
35gr Kosher Salt
1tsp Cure No1
1tsp Crushed Coriander Seeds
1tsp Crushed White Peppercorns
1/2tsp Dried Garlic Granules
1tsp Mustard Seeds
1tsp Smoked Paprika
1tbs Dried Majoran

Method,

Weigh out all dry ingredients,

Cube meat, combine with the dry ingredients, chill in freezer till slightly frosty.

Grind through a small die,

Emulsify either by hand, or food processor with a dough hook, keep mixture cold with finely crushed ice.

Tightly pack into aluminium takeaway food containers, and place into a improvised Bain Marie.
Fill 3/4 with water, this will be the heat sink in the smoker and it will keep your emulsified fats from splitting out of the emulsion.

Top rack in the smoker, 90C smoke with your choice of wood (I used Beechwood Pellets) cook till internal of 65C.

Out and cool......

Refrigerate overnight in aluminium trays, discard trays, vacuum seal in usable portions, and job all done......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smokey

Re: Luncheon Mea

Post by Smokey »

Love it, Real spam,,,, with flavour :o
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Ciapek

Luncheon Mea

Post by Ciapek »

Tastes good, Mick !
Just cooked some thick cuts on the Weber Q, seared up nicely, went down a treat with mustard and dill cucumbers......

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

My immediate thought was Spam :)

Rather under-rated if you ask me but my family don't allow it in the house, it's probably just memories of service food and quick sandwiches when studying anyway :)

This I might sneak by them.

I do wonder often though about the inclusion of garlic granules in many recipes on the forum ?

I've never had any success with them, nasty flavour.

I'm not even a fan of minced jar garlic although the wife is. I just buy the fresh stuff and Caterchef garlic sauce, but I've no idea if you can buy that outside WA - it's made down the road :)

Cheers
Ciapek

Luncheon Mea

Post by Ciapek »

Fresh Garlic is great, don't get me wrong, but it has a tendency to overpower.
The granules are a little more mellow in my opinion.
I was going to call this spam, but Spam is entirely cooked and not smoked, it's moisture content is much higher, whereas this is basically a cheats sausage.
Actually I have somewhere a recipe for Spam, my grandmother used to pack the pickled mixture into jars with vinegar and they were slow Bain Maried in a very low temp water bath till the meat was heated through and the jars were vacuum sealed. Taste was incredible and the bloody things would last forever.......I'll go on a hunt and try and recreate it....buy this is as far from BBQ as one can get.

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

It's been so many years since I even tried using garlic granules I can see I shall have to try them again :)

It's true though garlic, the fresh kind, can be overpowering, I often slash the top off a full bulb and roast it. Once done the cloves just slide out and the flavour is much less intense.

When I have time I also peel a bunch and steam them lightly before storing in a jar under olive oil in the 'fridge. They keep for ages and when all used you have this wonderful infused oil. I do the same with shallots.

Your grandmother's "Spam" sounds incredible, probably heresy but not everything can be Q :)

Cheers
GarthFader

Luncheon Mea

Post by GarthFader »

This looks great. I might try it and stuff the mix into banquet bags to get an all around smoke ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ciapek wrote:Fresh Garlic is great, don't get me wrong, but it has a tendency to overpower.
The granules are a little more mellow in my opinion.
I was going to call this spam, but Spam is entirely cooked and not smoked, it's moisture content is much higher, whereas this is basically a cheats sausage.
Actually I have somewhere a recipe for Spam, my grandmother used to pack the pickled mixture into jars with vinegar and they were slow Bain Maried in a very low temp water bath till the meat was heated through and the jars were vacuum sealed. Taste was incredible and the bloody things would last forever.......I'll go on a hunt and try and recreate it....buy this is as far from BBQ as one can get.

I'd love to have that recipe, Would fit my forum to a T :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

You can never have to much garlic and Spam is great! Austin, Minnesota and boy was it a fun tour!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Would buying a ready made pickled pork from butchers be ok for this procedure?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Ciapek

Luncheon Mea

Post by Ciapek »

Never tried making it from pickled pork. But in theory it should work.
Only thing that comes to my mind, is that pickled pork is Really salty.
Perhaps soak it in two water changes in the fridge overnight.

Ohhh. Take the skin off the pickled pork for the soaking, it will leach out the salt faster.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes I usually do the soaking with corned silverside to reduce the salt content so I think that possibly I could get a similar result...having only 1 fridge and it's usually a battle getting enough prep room for anything..(mrs chucks everything in the fridge) I've been reluctant to do any curing of anything due to time constraints as well as space constraints.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

Sounds like it's time for another fridge. :wink: