My first Pastrami

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
steve78

My first Pastrami

Post by steve78 »

Well i bit the bullet and took the Pastrami plunge yesterday. I ended up going with a store purchased corned beef simply to save time.

Soaked overnight in a water batch, changing water 4 times.

Prepped with a mix of my own bold beef rub and added peppers. The beef rub alone takes this to a whole new level.

Wrapped in cling wrap blanket and set in chiller for another few hours to let the flavours marry.

Removed from chiller and 'patched' up any holes in the spice mix. Preheated smoker beforehand to 110c. Made liquid bath of white wine and fresh squeezed apple juice. Wired with IGrill. Placed in smoker over hickory and mesquite chips. Smoked rather heavily until reached internal temp of 160f then foiled until internal of 185f. Removed from foil and let chill for a few hours before carving (took a slice off the side first to check the internal colour etc)

Wearing a jacket of spices

Bath prepped ready to start.

At 160f before foiling.

The end result.

Overall, the only part i would alter is to purchase a meat slicer before the next one. Everyone who has tried this has given great reports. I found the crust to be spicy but not altering the overall flavour of the meat, instead adding to it.
Angryman65

Re: My first Pastrami

Post by Angryman65 »

Looks really good. Rub looked pretty nice also. Got a recipe for that?

Agree that a meat slicer would be handy, gonna have to win one in a raffle shortly :D
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
steve78

Post by steve78 »

If you want to email me - steve@ittorque.com i will organise to send you some of my beef rub. Im in the planning/funding stages of acquiring a food license at the moment to go public with my BBQ so a little inclined not to share the actual recipe :wink:

Steve
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

steve78 wrote:If you want to email me - XXXXXXXXXXXX i will organise to send you some of my beef rub. Im in the planning/funding stages of acquiring a food license at the moment to go public with my BBQ so a little inclined not to share the actual recipe :wink:

Steve
Mate, if you are planning to do this as a business ignore my request for the recipe. Once you are up and running, post in the vendors section how to get it and I'll go from there.
Angus
Last edited by Angryman65 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
steve78

Post by steve78 »

Im more than happy to send you some as a sample though :wink:

Steve
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Nice loveheart - not valentines day is it ??? :mrgreen:
steve78

Post by steve78 »

You know i only just looked at that as i walked into the computer room (saw the picture from a distance) and noticed the heart :o