1kg Pork (30% fat)

Ingredients per 1kg of meat
1 tsp salt.
½ tsp QuikCure.
2 tsp dextrose (glucose).
1½ tsp white pepper, ground

Grind pork through 3/16” plate (5 mm).
Mix all ingredients with meat. Let chill in cold-room until well chilled
Stuff into 25mm fibrous casings form 10” links.

I set to dry in cold-room for 1 day , now I give them a bath for 1 hour in iced water with is colour heavily with ROSE food colouring to give them that Red Frank colour now into smoking

Introduce warm smoke increase smoke temperature until internal meat temperature of 140º F (60º C) is obtained. I normally now day just gas on full bore for 1 hour heavy smoke enough to last 15minutes at the start about a cup of pellets.

Making home produced smoked hotdog sausages smoked with Red Gum Pellets from Aussie BBQ smoke.

15 more minutes to go for Making home produced smoked hotdog sausages = homemade Hotdog Sausages (Smoked Franks) 100% pork.

After 1 hour on high in the gas Hark smoker with vent fully open these guys are ready for the fridge or a fresh bread roll.

Home made smoked Hotdog sausages on seed bread rolls with coleslaw & German potato salad with Tomato sauce, American Mustard & Hot Chili sauce.

Hope you Enjoy MM :wink:
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
yakabot

Re: Mountain Micks Hotdog Frank

Post by yakabot »

I must admit, they look bloody good. Even better once assembled in to their buns/rolls. Better looking than a bought one.
titch

Post by titch »

MM email me your address and I will send some Cajun White pepper to lift your Dog mate.
More kick ass
Cheers
Titch
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

Just home from work and so hungry.
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

If it wasn't so damned far to row a boat, I'd be over for dinner! Man those franks look good. A little Kraut on top and they'd be perfect!
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Mick, they look like they have the texture, and forgive me, I don't know how else to phrase this like a store bought...meaning a very smooth paste in casing. Is that just the photo, or do they have that texture? Are you mixing them well to achieve that, or are they more of just a course texture like a fresh sausage and the photos are misleading me? Do you have a buffalo chopper or a mixer?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Bentley,

Yes the inside texture is a little courser then a store bought frank, taste much less salty a little peppery back note on them, but taste is off the chain, I grind twice on the 5mm plate you could grind again on a 3mm plate twice to get a finer textured frank, and yes I mix them for 10 minutes in my Kitchen Aid with the K blade this make the seasonings & pork filling to be come very pasty and the mix runs very quickly through the sausage filler. and over many years of stuffing sausage skin you get a hand feel for the mix and you know if you need a little extra ice water etc. Plus it help when you spend a few years stuffing sausages in a butcher shop it give you a little bit of and edge. and the complement of yours "I don't know how else to phrase this like a store bought" gives me a Idea that I have learnt and I was not just going through the motions while working in the butcher shop, I did learn something. thank for your comments, MM :wink: :lol: :D :P
Image Image
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Thank Buddy! All sausage making packed, gonna try when we get to Virginia in the Fall! Have never had any luck making a "hot dog" link!

It was a compliment! I wish my stuff looked this good!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Bentley that all good, Are you moving house?? here are a couple pics showning the inside of the Franks.

Smokey hotdog sausages sliced to reveal the texture

Smokey Hotdog sausages broken in half (snapped) revealing the coarseness of the filling

Hope this helps you out Brother. MM :P :D :lol: :wink:
Image Image
titch

Post by titch »

They look as good as mine :lol:
Cheers
Titch
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Yep relocating to Virginia in mid October. I like the inside...I also like how tight your casing gets...do you think that is a combination of flowering in the cold water and the warm smoke?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Bentley, So I can see you making Virginia Ham& Strawberry Jam, awesome , is the a big reloct for you Bentley?? distance etc, is the relocate for work?? or for love? or live style?

Smokey Hotdog Sausages on seed bread rolls with coleslaw, melted cheese and tomato sauce, Mustard & Hot Chili Sauce.

Allway wanted to go to Vinginia, I hear it is a very beautifull place. Good luck with the relocate, MM :P :D :wink: :lol:
Image Image
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Lifestyle and family Mick! 4000km...

I love Country Ham...most folks cant stand it. My Dad got me hooked on it. Place in Culpeper called Calhoun's Meats...some of the best in the World. I have always want to try my had at it, so will maybe give it a go...long process as you probably know. Will have plenty of open land, so hope to build me a proper smoke house. Have always wanted a crack at Parma ham for some Prosciutto too! Have always wanted a crack at Genoa Salami, but have always lived where there is no Winter, warm 365 days a year! That is gonna change!

You get UrbanGriller and you two get on a plane with your wives and you come see me, house is gonna be good size so room for all...Virginia is one of the Most beautiful places in the World! Our propert sits on the site of the largest Calvary Battle in the War Between the Sates, Battle of Brandy Station, 10,000 strong! 7 Major Civil War battlefields with in 100km! Plenty of room and Washington, DC is only 100km...we will be looking forward to your stay!
Mountain Mick wrote:Hi Bentley, So I can see you making Virginia Ham& Strawberry Jam, awesome , is the a big reloct for you Bentley?? distance etc, is the relocate for work?? or for love? or live style?

Allway wanted to go to Vinginia, I hear it is a very beautifull place. Good luck with the relocate, MM :P :D :wink: :lol:
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Bentley wrote:
You get UrbanGriller and you two get on a plane with your wives and you come see me, house is gonna be good size so room for all......we will be looking forward to your stay!
Hell Yeah! :D :D

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

Mate they look bloody good :wink: