Shaynes Blackbutt Ham

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
Nath

Shaynes Blackbutt Ham

Post by Nath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 pm

shayneh2006 wrote:Nath, what ever cut you choose, as long as its cured correctly, you will have no issues :wink:

Shayne
Awsome, thanks Shayne, also where did you get your netting tube thing from that you regularly use to net meat.

Nath
Nath

shayneh2006

Re: Shaynes Blackbutt Ham

Post by shayneh2006 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Nath, I picked up a heap of rolls from a meat supplier that went into liquidation..... I was actually selling it on Ebay for $10 a roll...... then I found out what it was really worth :x :x :x ,,,,, like up towards $60/roll.

I am all out, other than what I need for myself.

Going this again today..

This Ham that I am doing is just sooo good, and to compare it to store bought,,, wont go there again.

Home made stuff wins.

This next batch that I got into the Brine cure today, consisted of 2x 3000gr leg portions.

I also added Honey to the cure to see if the flavor is enhanced.

I will give these 7 days in the pickle :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Done and the results were fantastic.

I am tweaking this and that and this is my best results.

Very tasty Ham indeed.

Christmas orders from those that have tried have been placed :evil:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 am

Shayne,

Bloody Awesome mate, Great job, , now those hams look heavenly. what the taste?? MM :mrgreen:
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com

Flippo

Post by Flippo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Bloody lovely looking hams there Shayneo. As I'd love to have a go at this I've got a couple of questions for you, or anyone else that might be able to help. When you are brining them I noticed you are doing them in metal containers/vessels. I thought that it was supposed to be done in a 'non-reactive' container? Have I got the bull by the arse?

Second query relates to cold smoking. I'll be picking up some legs of pickled pork in a couple of weeks to do in my smoker but last year when I did them I wanted the smoke penetration deeper. This year I had the thought of cold smoking then hot smoking. I noticed that's what you wrote that you have done with an earlier one here, would you be able to give me a quick rundown on how to do that? I was thinking of trying to get a cold smoking tube or an a-maze-n or something and some dust/pellets, giving it a cold smoke first as I've heard it will penetrate deeper then bringing it up to temp but I don't really have much of an idea about cold smoking, I've searched on here, which brought me to this post, but I'm pretty hopeless at searching for stuff in forums and I haven't been able to find a whole lot on line. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanking you and any others in advance of any replies

Flippo

Post by Flippo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 pm

And if I have hijacked your thread and got it off track please feel free to admonish at will and move it to wherever it needs to be.

Thanks again