Shayne gets into Jerking

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
shayneh2006

Shayne gets into Jerking

Post by shayneh2006 »

Shayne gets into Jerking :shock:

Ive done both :oops: , but the cooked one………….let me tell you………I can not believe its taken me this long to try my hand at this.

I had a go today, and the results were special.

I dropped into Cabramatta yesterday to pick up some lean Beef. What cut it is…….i have no idea. I asked the Asian chick behind the counter and received a lot of broken English…. Then left it at that.
What ever it is, there was bugger all fat and what I believe is prime stock for Jerky.

I also picked up these rack thingies that would go nicely in my cardboard box, Ghetto cold smoker

After doing some research online, I came up with the following recipe, a base plus a bit extra I thought would go well
• 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 cup light soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons Brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
• 3 teaspoons granulated onion or onion powder
• 2 teaspoons granulated or powdered garlic
• 3 teaspoons Maple Syrup
• 1 level teaspoon cure#1 (5 grams)

Total of 380mls

So, I had 2355 grams of meat...

But once trimmed (to remove fatty bits, later to be used in Spag Bogg) , I ended up with only 2000grs
I had the meat marinating at 2:00pm yesterday (Tuesday) and removed it, drained in a colander at 7:00 am today.

After draining, the meat was placed on paper towel to absorb surface moisture, then placed on racks.

I started the generator using 8 beads,. The snake was sprinkled with Blackbutt shavings as well as wood pieces (which I later removed as I thought it would be too much smoke).
The smoker was set up, with the racks and meat.

Once I was happy with the smoker temp @120F

I was off to work :x

I got home at 3:30 to see the thinner stuff ready
and tried a bit there and then and OMG was it good.

The rest was finished at 6:30pm.

Total yield was 800grs

And chopped up with scissors

Being the first time I have ever done this,,,, and basically, being new to Jerky (I only recently tried it for the first time in my life).

Oh,,,Today and meanwhile, I went out and bought a 75gr Local Legends pouch from Coles (which cost me 5 bux) in order to familiarize myself in what it should feel/look like when done, so I could have an idea when to expect mine to be ready...

It also let me compare mine to theirs and.........................by a margin... mine wins :oops: :P :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
NotoriousPIG

Re: Shayne gets into Jerking

Post by NotoriousPIG »

That'd go well with a few to many beers :D
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Shayne it looks great and its awesome to get results on your first attempt
Good to see that JJ in action too
I've tried doing jerky twice on the WSM with mixed results
My marinate was pretty much the same as yours but without the curing salt and I smoked it at 175f
I used topside and skirt but I didn't get the wafer thin jerky like yours
Did it taste good .... Hell yeah
I took a couple bags to work and they were devoured quickly with rave reviews
I ate the best part of a bag over a few beers one evening but found myself visiting the toilet rather frequently the next morning..... Now was this the jerky or something else I ate , I'm not sure but its kinda put me off making jerky since
A few other guys at work have made jerky and it tastes pretty good but they use dehydrators.
Just not sure if I'm doing it right, I get a bit paranoid about the whole bacteria/ food poisoning thing when cooking at really low temps
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hogsy....

Hogsy wrote:Good to see that JJ in action too
Thanks for the deal old mate,,,,. The JJ has earned its keep,, that's for sure :P

Hogsy wrote:My marinate was pretty much the same as yours but without the curing salt and I smoked it at 175f
I followed a recipe that specified to dry at 120F.
Hogsy wrote:I ate the best part of a bag over a few beers one evening but found myself visiting the toilet rather frequently the next morning..... Now was this the jerky or something else I ate , I'm not sure but its kinda put me off making jerky since
Try it again, but use the cure I gave you but remember, that's a double batch (12% NitrITE).

Mix it in equal proportions with table salt........ I think I gave you 50 grams, then add 50 grams of table salt. That will give you around 6% NitrITE. I am using 6.25% NitrITE currently.

Follow my recipe and tell me what you think :P

Have another go Hogsy!!!!!!! :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Shayne,

that Jerky looks awesome. i may have to make some this week. MM :wink: :wink:
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yep, again it looks right. You got me itching for a new batch as well :lol:
It will have to wait, Ive a burger to think about.
Hogsy, I know the feeling mate. Just like me and tequila,,,,, Never shall it pass my lips again :oops: 25 years, 11 months and 14 days :roll:
:lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au