Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
verngate

Re: Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by verngate »

Thanks Gatsby for the info.. just another question as I haven't been up close and personal with the Ziggy yet.... Does a 9kg bottle fit under / attach on to the BBQ in order to wheel around if need be?
Cheers
Ken
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

verngate wrote:Thanks Gatsby for the info.. just another question as I haven't been up close and personal with the Ziggy yet.... Does a 9kg bottle fit under / attach on to the BBQ in order to wheel around if need be?
Cheers
Ken
I can answer that, yes! the bottle goes on one end (put the wheels on that end).

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
doobie

Post by doobie »

Hi ken and welcome to the forum
I have never had a problem with wind issues (although my wife would disagree :) but with Ziggy I usually put it in a sheltered area out of any breeze as , with all bbqs, wind can effect the temp.
The Ziggy also has a side tray on both sides which can be used as a slight wind break - but it is only slight.
I have never had a burner blow out , but if it did, the second burner re-ignites the one that went out

Also, the gas bottle will fit off the ground. Like Chris said, put it on the wheel side.

Low temps can be achieved down to 130 using a small foil tray with water - see tests pig 4.

You will be happy with a ziggy , IMHO better than a Webber q.

Happy bbqing :)

Geoff'
verngate

Post by verngate »

Thanks Geoff for the info, would you recommend the full or 1/2 cover. It will be sitting under an eave and will be exposed to a fair amount of weather...
Cheers Ken
doobie

Post by doobie »

no worries Ken, but I suppose it depends if you buy the stand/trolley for the ziggy to sit on.

If you buy the stand/trolley then I would get the full length cover as it will protect the legs etc ($49 / BBQ galore). I have the full length and it gives pretty good coverage and the cover is good quality as well.

If you don't buy the stand/trolley and have the ziggy sitting on a say a table then the 1/2 cover should do.

Before buying the cover, I searched Bunnings, BigW, K-mart ebay etc to see if I could buy a cheaper but still a good quality cover.
But due to the 3 compartment attachment on front of the stand/trolley I couldn't find a cover that would fit the overall dimensions. I could have taken the compartment off and in doing so some other covers would fit (just) but I wanted the compartment left on as it is handy for placing things in.

If you didn't buy the stand/trolley, then you may find a cheaper cover for just the ziggy.

Hope that helps.
Geoff
verngate

Post by verngate »

Thanks Geoff, much appreciated! I rang the local dealer at Frankston to see if they would do me a deal on 2 Ziggy's [my mate is also interested] and they said the price on the BBQ was fixed....no negotiation! Not even an EOYFS. Anyway, I will bite the bullet in the next week or so and get Ziggied up for the warmer weather. Thanks again.Ken
doobie

Post by doobie »

Yeah, BBG don't budge. The best I got them down was $13.

This is what happen when I tried (from page 4).....

"I went to the local BBQ’s Galore and had a further chat and then started talking price. I asked what the best price would be if I got the Z&B ($399.00), the trolley ($179.00) and reversible grill plate ($49.95) / (Total $627.95).

She came back with $620.00 !! a whole $7.95 discount. I offered $600 and take now, which she replied we don’t have much margin on these, but came down another whopping $2.00. I said if I pay that how about throwing in the bucket of goodies (barbie wire brush, cleaners etc) and she just looked at me shaking her head ‘no sorry’. She looked on her PC and said I haven’t been this low before but final amount is $615.00.
So if you’re looking to bargain you way to a good lower price it doesn’t seem you will get it.

I gathered she would not go further so purchased at $615 and got the Gun metal colour."

Maybe ring another dealer or 2 and if you get some discount, then see if the Frankston dealer will at least match or throw something in (but it all wont be much).
Good luck and let us know how you went.

Geoff
verngate

Post by verngate »

Thanks for the info Geoff, she must be related to the same ball breaker I spoke with at the Frankston shop.... I will let you know how I go. Cheers Ken
verngate

Post by verngate »

Well, I acquired my new Ziggy a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it so far. I didn't get much off the retail price but they did throw in a mesh cooking screen that you place over the grills and I must say having used it a couple of times it is a great addition, particulary if you are cooking with marinated meat or something that is proned to crumbling [like burgers].... So far I have grilled Porterhouse steaks, lamb chops and last night home made hamburgers. There is no comparison with the old 'Ultimate north - south model I had previously. There was plenty of heat evenly distributed across all surfaces. The only question I have is, what is the best way to clean the dripped fat off the inside alloy wall surface. Cheers Ken
doobie

Post by doobie »

Congrats on your great purchase Ken and for at least getting the mesh thrown in.
I'll have to check that out as I hadn't seen that.

On the inside alloy (top/bottom) I use 'Simply Green BBQ and Grill Cleaner' purchased from Bunnings. It foams up when sprayed on and I then use a Coles home brand green coloured nylon scourer the scrub - about .60cents for pack of 5 which I also cut in half.

I find it needs to done regularly otherwise as times goes on it becomes harder to clean off - especially if you cook food that splatters a lot.
Also, I found that when I use a can of spray oil over the grills, it would also get through to the alloy.
Then the oil that got through to the alloy would really be stubborn to get off after the next cook.
So after a cook I now dab a paper towel with oil and dab onto grills to slightly coat them.

Also, I purchased a really stiff nylon brush from Big W to scrub grills.
I saw some people with the Webber Q's used metal bushes that were effecting the grill surface, so thought a stiff nylon would be better - and seems to do very well.

FYI - I also purchase a meat thermometer from Mitre 10 ($24.95) for roasts - fantastic and a good buy.
Hope that helps a little.
Geoff
verngate

Post by verngate »

Thanks Geoff for the info / advise! If it ever stops raining I might get to use it again :shock:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

doobie wrote:Congrats on your great purchase Ken and for at least getting the mesh thrown in.
I'll have to check that out as I hadn't seen that.
They sell those screens in a two pack at my Bunnigs!....Good for Vego's as well!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
glenmoreridge

Post by glenmoreridge »

Just purchased a Ziegler, put it all together but having a problem as it won't light. checked the natural gas bbqpt to confirm gas is coming through as its a new installation & all is fine. seems like something is stopping the gas coming through as I cannot smell any gas from the bbq end.
The shut off valve is pointing towards the hose so that is on. Anyone had a problem with ziegler regulators or the shut off valve.
glenmoreridge

Post by glenmoreridge »

okay solved my problem, the hose has a small plastic piece thats sits inside the hose that releases the gas when you attach it the bayonet fitting. Just looked like a protection piece so I pulled it out. After I pushed a pen inside the bayonet to purge the gas I realised there was nothing there to push the gas valve open. Re attached the plastic fitting & then bbq would light. How odd for them to supply this in plastic rather then metal.
noremac_22

Post by noremac_22 »

Croc wrote:I think I will go the charcoal grey as red fades so quick up here in the tropics.
but wouldnt the red one cook faster?!