Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
LA1

Re: Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by LA1 »

Pretty standard procedure for a retail store to ask for a proof of purchase when dealing with warranty or returns. Nothing wrong with that.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

A copy of her bank reconciliation will do.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Boags

Post by Boags »

hmmm.....

Just curious as to the customer service compared to weber... All reports on their fb site are positive... Almost like, unbelievable... !!!

I guess I'm waiting to see what they are like when the small things go wrong.. eg.. split hood ?? Like, weber would have had one out there on the same day... not put up hurdles about not having a receipt...!!!...

I'm happy now that everything works as it should on mine.. However, so far I'm dreading the day I need some warranty help... or even something not included in the warranty.. Wait and see I guess...

I'm still learning the techniques of using the hood up and down and so far cooking a roast you need to be on hand to adjust the temps every ten minutes... but mine came out all right in the end.

I love my half plate for steaks etc as I'm used to my old plough dish solid plate and it works well.. easy to clean afterwards.....So far so good...

regards
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Boags, keep a copy of your receipt and register your warranty online and you shouldnt have any dramas. Ive always had good support from BBQs Galore when Ive dealt with them in the past.

Re the temps for roasting- with a bit of practice you wont be needing to adjust the temp every 10 minutes. looking forward to seeing some of your cookup with the Ziegler.
doobie

Post by doobie »

Hi all (and what a great helpful forum this is)

Hopefully this is not too long, but thought I would give my overview of the newly purchased Ziegler & Brown Twing Grill.

Well, after some research on this and other forums, a visit to Bunnings, BBQ’s Galore and Harvey Norman to view the different BBQ’s available, I finally decided on the Ziegler & Brown Twin Grill.

I currently have an ‘old’ 4 burner which still does the job but to get a more compact type Barbie for every ‘other’ night use.
I went to the local BBQ’s Galore and had a further chat and then started talking price. I asked what the best price would be if I got the Z&B ($399.00), the trolley ($179.00) and reversible grill plate ($49.95) / (Total $627.95).

She came back with $620.00 !! a whole $7.95 discount. I offered $600 and take now, which she replied we don’t have much margin on these, but came down another whopping $2.00. I said if I pay that how about throwing in the bucket of goodies (barbie wire brush, cleaners etc) and she just looked at me shaking her head ‘no sorry’. She looked on her PC and said I haven’t been this low before but final amount is $615.00.
So if you’re looking to bargain you way to a good lower price it doesn’t seem you will get it.

I gathered she would not go further so purchased at $615 and got the Gun metal colour.

I had intentions of the chilli red as it looked nice on their website but when looking at it in their shop it looked ‘faded’ as if the colour had been lost from their demo cooking on it. But she said that was the true colour so definitely not the brilliant red colour as expected.

Warranty is 2 years on cooking surface, burners, hose and regulator / 5 years on bbq frame (firebox) and roasting hood.

Instructions for the trolley were simple, in fact just a glance over it was enough and took about 15-20 minutes to put together. All ‘tools’ are supplied except you will need a flat or Phillips head screw driver.

The Z&B then simply sat into the cut way holes on top of trolley and locked into place with ‘pins’ and feels very sturdy.
The side brackets are straight and sturdy and when in an upright position they can act as a bit of a wind break. They both have 2 hooks at the ends – presumably to hang utensils.

The front 3 section condiment tray is held in with 3 small screws, so if for example you accidently lean on it, I would say it could pull out/break off. But the compartments are good size.

It is supplied with a bracket to hang your gas cylinder on and a chain for extra support if wanted.

However, if a 9kg cylinder is used it will not fit in to the ‘compartment’ area on the bottom wire mesh, not that it needs too. I’m just going to leave my 9kg cylinder on the ground (not even use the hanging bracket).

But….as I have just noticed, don’t do as I have done and have the wheels on the opposite side to the where the cylinder would hang. It is very awkward to move the trolley with the cylinder at your feet (so will have change the legs around).

Washed the grills/plate and fired the Z&B up to dry them. (No fogging on temp gauge noticed as some have mentioned).

Took about 7 minutes on high to get to 240c.

Turning off knobs with lid still down, the temp dropped down steadily to 150c and then at a much slower rate.

Both knobs on low took 10 minutes to reach/stay 235-240c.

One knob off / one knob on low took 10 minutes to reach/stay at 170c (so a bit high I think for a low temp).

Cleaning off the dripped fats/oils looks as if it will easy and no real spots that will accumulate it.

Weird how the screws holding the burner brackets in are different ( 1 x Philips type and the other a hexagon type as shown).

Front control knobs.

Temp gauge (although very slightly not straight

Rear vent.

Showing flame throwers far left / far right. The top cover is angled and has a lip to allow fats/oils to drain away properly, but some could drip into the burner/flame thrower openings.

Lid open showing grills and side plates as possible wind breaks.

Last night cooked some herbed sausages and a couple of pork chops - sausages nice juicy & tasty, chop too dry (but I know I had them on for too long).
The fats did seem to drip on burners and did give a very slight flare up but on minor.

At the moment I have a 1.5kg pork roast (netted), potatoes and carrots (both oiled, seasoned and in foil).

Put both burners on high and was very to quick to heat up. Turned off one burner and kept the other on high and sat at 240c, put pork in for 20min.
Then turned the one burner to low for remaining cooking time, but temp hovered around 220c, so lifted lid for a minute to get 'excess' heat out.
Temp then was steady at 195c.

Pork has nice hard crackling :)
Last edited by doobie on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Great review and welcome
Good to see you tried to haggle with price...... I hope this is not another case for the ACCC :roll:
You need to copy and paste the img code from photobucket
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
doobie

Post by doobie »

Thanks for the welcome Hogsy,

I have copied and paste the link from photobucket using the 'link for others' but just doesn't seem to work (maybe administrators are not allowing being a newie).
Percel

Post by Percel »

doobie wrote:Thanks for the welcome Hogsy,

I have copied and paste the link from photobucket using the 'link for others' but just doesn't seem to work (maybe administrators are not allowing being a newie).
Use the code for forum/IMG link, needs [IMG] in the string, both ends
doobie

Post by doobie »

cheers.

actually had to put a tick in the img box on photobucket to these codes up.
So hopefully photos are not too big !
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Photos are sweet
Great looking grill
Next photos with food please I'm hungry :D
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
doobie

Post by doobie »

Well I thought I would give an update of using the "Ziggy" after purchasing about 3 weeks ago.

I have used it about 4-5 days a week with a variety of foods such as Pork roast, Lamb roast, Turkey roast, Lamb chops, Split chicken, steaks,sausages, Pizza and roasted potatoes/carrots.

And so far I have been pretty happy with the outcome of the foods.

Chops / sausages caused the most 'mess' with the fats dripping away, but was easily cleaned with no real effort.

I used a trivet set up with foil underneath to cook the roasts and although fats dripped through the cut holes in the foil, again not much to clean up (and a lot was still on top of the foil).
Pre-zapped the vegies then put around roasts for last 20 minutes or so and got that nice browned colour. Other times put them in raw about 90 min prior to end cooking and agin all cooked well.

Split chicken was put in a foil tray due to the marinate, put vegies in as well and cooked in-direct - all good again.

I have noticed with the roasting with hood down, there seems to be a lot of smoke coming out the rear vent - not sure why - grills etc were cleaned from previous cook, so no fats etc burning off.

On photos of the Weber Q I can't see a rear vent - is there one? If so, do other get a reasonable amount / lot of'smoke from their cooking.

Temp gauges on the Ziggy are ok, but have a slight movement before they seem to engage. If turning down heat, the temp inside hood is slow to act, so hood needs to be opened to help the action.

Do Weber Q's need the same?

Turning the heat up is quite instant.

I note in the manual to not have temp go higher than 250c with hood down, but the Weber Q has a range of 260 -290c - Why would this be? (different hood material etc?

I found I wasn't getting ignition first time everytime but reading the manual it states this could be the case, just seems that I was going to fast to ignition point and not allowing enough time for the gas to come through before the flame thrower activates.

I mentioned in my higher post that I would keep my 9kg gas bottle on the ground rather than hooking up on the stand.......that didn't last long due to moving the Ziggy around, so I have it hooked up.

But I have noticed that the bottom of the gas bottle is rubbing on lower ttray and is weaing the plastic coating. So I have black tied an old flannel on bottom of bottle which saves the rubbing.

But overall so far I have been very happy the Ziggy, I haven't BBQ'd so much and so often in the past, the compact size for moveability, the ease of cleaning, the control of cooking a variety of foods and the overall look of the unit.

Cheers
Geoff
Snow

Post by Snow »

Great review Geoff!
Sounds like you've got things under control mate :)

I'm not sure why there is a temperature difference to the Q but my mate replaced the grills in his 4 burner BBQ with plates and his BBQ got so hot that the plastic knobs melted and he couldn't turn it off haha I shouldn't be laughing but it was funny :wink: Anyway maybe they are protecting it from melting or something like that?
doobie

Post by doobie »

Did a little temperature re-testing today.

Must say, I was able to get the Ziegler to 130c and stayed steady :)

I put water in the tray for all the temperature tests, double foil + trivit.

Hood did not touch the roasting tray - My trivit is the only one I have and is large to the norm, but does not seem to effect much.

This was the set up with results below photos.

Both knobs on High - Firstly, No tray, foil or trivit.

5 1/2 mins to 250c (would have kept going higher)

Both knobs then turned to Low

took 2 1/2 mins to drop to 230c (steady)

Turned off and let cooled.

Both knobs on High - Now with Tray of water, double foil & trivit

3 mins to 150c

6 1/2 mins to 180c

9 mins to 200c

11 1/2 mins to 220c

16 mins to 250c

Both knobs then turned to Low

2 mins to drop to 240c (and steady for 6 mins)

Turned off and let cool.

Both knobs on Low

3 1/2 mins to 145c

7 mins to 160c

9 mins to 170c

12 mins to 180c

16 mins to 190c (and reasonably steady)

Both knobs then turned off

2 mins to drop to 160c

5 mins down to 157c ( and steady)

Let cooled

One knob only to Low

3 1/2 mins to 100c

8 mins to 120c

17 mins to 130c

23 mins still at 130c (and remained steady) :D

A pleasing low steady temperature for the Ziggy considering it's high powerful heating range - but water seems to be the key for it.

Geoff
Barraking

Post by Barraking »

Afternoon guys
Bought my ziggy yesterday after deciding that is was finally time to man up and buy a BBQ. I'm used to open top cooking and am interested in this whole lid down business. Cooked some steaks last night, turned out ok but I'm going to need a lot of practice! I also had a slightly foggy temp gauge so I'll get that checked out. I'm looking for info on the basics of convection style cooking, is anybody able to point me in the right direction? Hopefully this thread grows, it looks like one of a small few on the net. I'll keep you guys posted with future escapades.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Goodmorning Boys and Girls!

I got delivered a Ziegler and Brown twin grill from our friends at BG to have a play with.

I should say at the start that I have not cooked on a Q, so cannot make that comparison.

First thing after the setup was to ark it up to flat out for a simple sear test.

After a 10 minute "warm up" it was reading nice and hot on the lid!

The laser gun said it was running warp factor nine plus!!!

On with a simple (supermarket) test steak.

And this is what you get from a one minute flip per side on it's third flip! Tidy grill marks and the thin supermarket steak is medium well in 4 minutes!

Say no more!

It sure runs hot!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!