Post by titch »

ColinW
that feed looks delish
Cheers
Titch
ColinW

Re: Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by ColinW »

Last night I tried to cook a couple of Pizzas on Z&B. I gave myself a 5 out of 10 for my first try - BUT my nephew gave me a 7 out of 10.
titch

Post by titch »

That looks nice.
your nephew would be close on the money
Cheers
Titch
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Looks good to me.

Just a suggestion, you may find it easier to spread the tomato paste
with the back of a large spoon.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
ColinW

Post by ColinW »

Thanks for the tip Meat and eat. Regards - Colin
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Gatsby wrote: I have an open issue with BBQG about the temp so just waiting on a fix - they are having a smaller jet made - just takes time.
Cheers
Hi there Gatsby. Did you end up getting a reduced size jet to enable lower temps in your Ziggy?

Cheers, Kimbo
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

No. I followed up after several months and it looks like they gave up.
I ended up not trying anything below about 150C in it - use other bbq's for that (pellet or kamado)
Pity would make it a bit more versatile.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Shame....although I'm not suprised.

I wonder if it is possible to reduce the number of active holes in one of the burners? If there was some way to reduce the number of holes by say 20%, then maybe you'd be able to 'go low'.

Perhaps by covering with a strip of thick foil (SS ?) held on by a couple of SSteel hoseclamps?
I suppose it depends a bit on how the gas valve works when set to it's lowest setting......you could end up with just getting extra gas exiting out the remaining holes. Or perhaps a poor gas mix due to the extra restriction. Never the less it would be pretty easy to test.

Agreed....if you could easily get it to go lower it would sure make it more versatile.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Hello all. BBQ newbie here. Well, not completely. I'm looking to replace my ancient rusty Sunny 2 burner BBQ and I find the Ziggy looks perfect for my needs. Hoping to take the dive in this week. :)
Carnivore
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

I think you'll love the Ziggy.
I find it great for anything between 150 and 250.
Has enough heat to turn your meat to charcoal very quickly if you leave on high too long.
I use the aldi teppanyaki grill plate instead of getting the solid plate.
Cheers
Gator

Post by Gator »

Gatsby wrote:I think you'll love the Ziggy.
I hope so because I took the plunge today. I bought the single burner in red with the trolley and a cover for it. Total outlay just over $500.

I smiled sweetly when I told my partner how much it cost. I'm the female half of our duo and I'm the one who bbq's lol.

I may have some debts to pay lol.
Gatsby wrote:I use the aldi teppanyaki grill plate instead of getting the solid plate.
That's a great idea, thanks. :)
Last edited by Gator on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carnivore
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Well done, don't forget to let us know how you go. And we want pics too. :)
Gator

Post by Gator »

Sir, yes, sir! :mrgreen:
Carnivore
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Well I finally decided some weeks ago to go for a Ziggy. It was right for my circumstances and now after a few cook ups I know that it was the best best choice....for me. I grabbed a half plate for it too.

I only have a small family...the missus and a teenage daughter. But the daughter only eats veggies and prawns/calamari, and wife won’t eat most red meat. Sad smile This means that i have to do a bit of juggling and cook several options.
So far I’ve done a few steaks...the last ones were pretty good, and last week I cooked a half leg of lamb which turned our really well. Despite some other comments on the forum, I found that putting the meat on a rack over a roasting pan half filled with water, and with only one burner on low, I was able to hold the temp at around 130 for several hours to get a nice slow cook. When done i wrapped in foil/plastic bag/couple of towels and let rest in a slightly pre-warmed oven whilst I roasted some veg and towards the end a couple of skewers of prawns for daughter and some chicken for the trouble and strife. Lovely as I could do this out in my beautiful back yard with a quiet cleansing ale instead in our crappy kitchen.

I have also done some roo filets that have turned out great. Marinated for a few hours in teriyaki sauce and macadamia oil (don’t need much) then a real quick hot grill, hood down, perhaps 60 – 90 sec a side, quickly flipping over three times for a total time of ~5 mins max. Foil cover and rest for 10 and then semi carve into thin slices just joined at bottom. Med rare. Served on plate with the juices from carving poured back over them plus a little touch of raspberry sauce. Delish.

What I like about it the Ziggy
* Separate control for left and right means I can cook steak on the grill and other (mainly veggie) stuff on the other.
* Goes hot quickly
* Smoke exits from rear
* Reliable lighting up (so far)
* Easy to clean inside and also the grill & plate
* Temp gauge
* Side tables are handy
* I like the colour and look (yes I know...very superficial)

The cons..
* The grill bars are pretty widely spaced – the Weber is better in this regard.
* The oval cooking area isn’t quite as practical perhaps as the slightly more rectangular Weber
* The cost – they are all pretty overpriced in my opinion (including the weber)
* Some areas of the grill aren’t as hot as others
* Gas consumption is not great...but I only use it once a week so this isn’t an issue