Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
LA1

Re: Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by LA1 »

Nice one Chris. That's real heat output. Get a nice thick Cape Grim Scotch on that bad boy
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

This will be good :D
Im guessing that further tests will also tick the roasting box.
Exactly what is was built for.
Knowing Chris, He will prolly try to low and slow on it. :roll:
:twisted:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey Mick wrote:This will be good :D
Im guessing that further tests will also tick the roasting box.
Exactly what is was built for.
Knowing Chris, He will prolly try to low and slow on it. :roll:
:twisted:
You are a mindreader Mick! :D :D

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Alright Chris, someone has to ask.

After years of hearing everyone else go on about Weber Qs and never buying one yourself, not to mention already owning an incredibly large collection of arguably more sophisticated BBQ equipment (OK, I admit that second point is irrelevant) - what makes you buy a Ziggy now? Something about the shape does it for you? :P
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

FirePlay wrote:Alright Chris, someone has to ask.

After years of hearing everyone else go on about Weber Qs and never buying one yourself, not to mention already owning an incredibly large collection of arguably more sophisticated BBQ equipment (OK, I admit that second point is irrelevant) - what makes you buy a Ziggy now? Something about the shape does it for you? :P
Actually, I don't mind the kind of general egginess of the shape, of all the offerings in this market I think this is the most sophisticated look. But I didn't buy it,it's on loan from BBQs Galore. We have play day coming up here in a few weeks, so any of the WAlians can come and put it (or anything else) through it's paces. Thought I might put it through it's paces first, in the form of a review! Also have a shiney new RQT Turbo 4 Bnr here....more on that one later.

For me, so far, it passed the "Grunt" test with flying colours!

Chris
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Chris,

We have now been cooking with the Ziggy for 6 months now, we still finding that we can not get it low enought with two burns on, there is a real cool spot a long the front of the grill, and with that large vent at the back is drawing out lots more heat to quicky, yes it cook ok, put I thing it was a quick Idea to take market share from the Q's and I thing there is a few faults that need to be addressed to bring it close to a Q. yes I know it looks ok. and you can grill with the lid up, but to me for the price they are charging for this they should be much better to me they are only half the grill/broiler/bbq that a Q is and should be half the price, and yes we paid for ours and I'm not happy and I've told the guy we bought it from just that. this only my opinion MM :(
Last edited by Mountain Mick on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Mick,

I've only done hi temp on this so far, although I did use it to heat up a pie :oops: the other day, one burner on low! No matter what, none of these little gas BBQ's are going to do it all. Proof that you need more than one BBQ! I managed to get it to sit on 150C (ish), so OK for a slow roast. I'm guessing for Low and Slow I'm going to need to let some heat out, that's the next thing to try. I use it and the RQT for a red hot sear on steaks at BBQ School, which we compare to charcoal grilled.

Cheers
Chris
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Yes Chris,

So ture that is why I've got about 10 BQQ, but We are not getting what BBQ Galores promised in they promo. on low one burn the one end is much hot them the other and that giant vent is keeping it cooler at that one end and it is not getting an even temp in a convetion around the whole piece of meat that your low & slow rosating, I've now cooked large pork leg, large whole rumps, whole Turkey plus suckling pigget plus other roasts and one end is getting much more heat them the other a real pain in the bum. I know just turn it around , I should not have to. again only my opinion on what we are finding on the Ziggy we are using, I would say over the next few months I try a few more in it and if I'm not getting a better results :shock: it will be in our next garge sale. :( MM
Image Image
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

and Chris that is reading 170C way to hot for low & slow way to hot. MM
Image Image
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Mick,

I've never done a big roast in it, every time I've got a roast in my hand, I look at my Kamado and I just can't bring myself to cook on gas! :roll:

The lowest I've made it go so far is 150C with a bit of giggling the gas valve, but I'm in the BBQ HQ warehouse, no wind or ambient to worry about, I would not want to run a flickering gas flame out in the open!......I remember Shayne's Map torch experiment in his GA....why can't someone make one with a pilot light? I guess the target market is the snag burner!

Cheers
Chris
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Mountain Mick wrote:Yes Chris,

So ture that is why I've got about 10 BQQ, but We are not getting what BBQ Galores promised in they promo. on low one burn the one end is much hot them the other and that giant vent is keeping it cooler at that one end and it is not getting an even temp in a convetion around the whole piece of meat that your low & slow rosating, I've now cooked large pork leg, large whole rumps, whole Turkey plus suckling pigget plus other roasts and one end is getting much more heat them the other a real pain in the bum. I know just turn it around , I should not have to. again only my opinion on what we are finding on the Ziggy we are using, I would say over the next few months I try a few more in it and if I'm not getting a better results :shock: it will be in our next garge sale. :( MM
Hey Mick, whats your setup for roasting in the Ziegler?
Ive seen a few demo's on these things doing a roast and they come out fine. If you use a roast dish and rack to roast as advertised and as per the accessories for that purpose for the Ziggy, the roast tray acts as the 'indirect' barrier. You could also use the hotplate over the lit burner which would further eliminate uneven heat. I havent roasted on one, only seen the demo which worked fine. For low n slow in one of these, I would think you would need a water tray in the bbq. Perhaps over the unlit burner to act as a heat sink.
doobie

Post by doobie »

Interesting comments both of you.
You may wish to look at my experiments for temperature on page 4.
I can get the Ziggy down to 130 so slow cook is easily down.
I have done many roasts in Ziggy and all very good outcome.
As type this I have a pork shoulder roast cooking away. Crisp skin and will be juicy and tender.
In my opinion the Ziggy is perfect. You just need to experiment - just like anything.
But if you garage sale your Ziggy I'd be interested :)
Geoff
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Chris, LA1 & Geoff,

after these few comment , I took it back in, and had them have a look at it this afternoon, the old bloke recon's it may have a dicky gas switch so he said to leave it with and he see what they can do on monday as it was to late to day and said he phone am on Monday. so maybe it's the switch aka gas tap. I hope so. hate to off load it. will see next week how it goes. MM :D
Image Image
verngate

Post by verngate »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have read with interest all of the various comments & opinions. I have just sold my old Ultimate 4 burner and am wanting to downsize to a more practicle, second floor, balcony appropriate, portable gas cooker... I'm leaning towards the Ziggy as the majority of my cooking will be griils. My main concern is I need something that is reasonably wind tolerant and have read a couple of negative comments about the Ziggy flame being blown out [I'm not sure how windy it was]. Can anyone give me their experience with the Ziggy in the wind? How does the Ziggy stack up against the Q or similar types in gusty conditions? Thanks for reading... Cheers Ken
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Welcome Vemgate,
I've got the ZB and have had no problems with wind at all. I find it great for everything except for low & slow. As in I cannot run it below 150C without attempting to run it with a burner set between the Max and off position, which I don't like doing.
I am waiting on MM's response to his gas switch check... I had a problem right at the start with having gas leak between the bottle and regulator, used plumbers tape to fix on the regulator, reported it and BBQG gave me a new o-ring and said they'd replace the reg if that didn't fix it. I have an open issue with BBQG about the temp so just waiting on a fix - they are having a smaller jet made - just takes time.
Cheers