Weber Q pizza query

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Captain Cook

Re: Weber Q pizza query

Post by Captain Cook »

To cook the perfect Pizza you need to have a lid temp of 270+ C which is both burners on in the Q320. You need to use the pizza stone to absorb the moisture created by the gas burning.

Cheers

Captain
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

And then PM the Captn for his Q cookbook. You'll be grilling like an expert before you know it :D :D
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Captain Cook wrote:To cook the perfect Pizza you need to have a lid temp of 270+ C which is both burners on in the Q320. You need to use the pizza stone to absorb the moisture created by the gas burning.

Cheers

Captain
Thanks Captain for the info.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Tried my new Weber Q 320 Family out this afternoon/evening with a pizza stone. Cooked three pizzas. Pre-heated for 15 minutes, both burners on high. Then the inner burner off and the outer burner on medium for cooking. If both burners had of been on then the edges of the bases would have been black. As they were, in places the edges just started to brown/blacken.

Used my $12.00 Kmart sourced pizza stone on the Weber trivet, on top of aluminium foil. Used my daughter's high school Home Ec pizza recipe (a proven recipe in the oven, in our household). Next time will make more dough in order to have thicker bases. Two bases were very thin and one was okay.

I made the pizzas and placed them on baking paper, on metal pizza trays. Intended to transfer the pizzas to the stone, with cornmeal flour on the base. However, owing to the thin bases I could not transfer them to the stone. As a result, placed the baking paper with the pizza on the stone.

Took the stone off the bbq, placed it on a piece of wood on the floor to cool. Then put some chicken kebabs on the grill. Turned three times, 5 minutes between each turn. A total cooking time of 20 minutes. Cooked to perfection.

Pizza stone was well and truly cool. I picked it up put it away in my bbq accessory container and as I was putting it down, it decided to crack. No dropping of it. Very strange. Must have been a fault in it. See what one gets for $12.00, including a pizza cutter and a wire carry handle.

Will visit a Weber retailer tomorrow and pay more money to get a decent pizza stone with the metal tray and also will buy an additional tray.

Have asked this question before, but no reply. If the stone is suppose to take the moisture out of the pizza base, how does this occur with the metal tray being used, on the stone during the cooking of the pizza?
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

mymonaro wrote:
Pizza stone was well and truly cool. I picked it up put it away in my bbq accessory container and as I was putting it down, it decided to crack. No dropping of it. Very strange. Must have been a fault in it. See what one gets for $12.00, including a pizza cutter and a wire carry handle.

Will visit a Weber retailer tomorrow and pay more money to get a decent pizza stone with the metal tray and also will buy an additional tray.
Got my money back from Kmart for the faulty stone. The lady said that she had one of the stones herself and also they had sold many of the stones and have had no problems.

Went to my Weber stockist. Bought a large stone with metal tray and also an additional tray. Already to go for another pizza cook-up some time in the near future.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

mymonaro wrote: Have asked this question before, but no reply. If the stone is suppose to take the moisture out of the pizza base, how does this occur with the metal tray being used, on the stone during the cooking of the pizza?
You need to transfer the pizza to the stone, make it up on baking paper, slide it off the tray onto the stone and after a minute, slide out the baking paper.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

urbangriller wrote:
mymonaro wrote: Have asked this question before, but no reply. If the stone is suppose to take the moisture out of the pizza base, how does this occur with the metal tray being used, on the stone during the cooking of the pizza?
You need to transfer the pizza to the stone, make it up on baking paper, slide it off the tray onto the stone and after a minute, slide out the baking paper.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

Yes, I had to use the baking paper.

However, now I have the Weber stone and tray (which I am yet to try out), the instructions say to place the tray on the stone. Furthermore, this is the same in the video at the Weber Australia website.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yeah...they are only using the stone to heat the tray.....use the baking paper method.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

urbangriller wrote:Yeah...they are only using the stone to heat the tray.....use the baking paper method.

Chris
Okay, thanks.
plumby

Post by plumby »

If I can add my 2 bobs worth in old fart language. I agree with previous posts, Ive found for me with a Q2000 to do a great pizza with crusty bottom, its best to lift the pizza stone up high into the heat. I got a tip and it works perfectly, I use three small baked bean tins used and washed out on top of the trivet.
I balance the stone on them in a triangle and it gives perfect height. I also cut out a pizza shaped teflon sheet and put that under the pizza for the first 10 min instead of baking paper, remove and about another 10 does it, perfect crunchy bottom not burnt.