Steak on the Genesis E320

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
tonydav

Re: Steak on the Genesis E320

Post by tonydav »

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the reply. Think you might have misunderstood about the part frozen comment. To explain further, to cook thinner cuts (and to be honest thin t-bone is rare with me) such as 4 1/4 chops and the pork I find it difficult to get enough heat out of the BBQ to char the outside but still leave the inside pink. Hence cooking it when still partly frozen, (i.e. the outside is soft but the inside is soft) allows a good char on the outside but causes a slow cooking on the inside. Hence totally possible to get medium rare 4 1/4 chops without the outside being some anaemic colour.

Having said that, my preferred approach would be to get the heat coming out of the BBQ hot enough to cook a chop this way.

I'd been considering getting a Q220 as it seems a good compromise between size and performance, but I was wondering if it would generate enough heat to do what I want.

Think I should start a new thread about this - hijacked this one enough....

Tony (Davo)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

TonyDave,
All sorts of non relaxing meat cooking going on with semi frozen meats going on here :lol:
Its an old trick, But does not produce the best from the given quality of the steak.
You cannot multy level cook a 1cm thick chop!
It will be raw or done right through, Forget about charing unless you like it well done.
That goes for any brand BBQ.
The thicker the chop/steak, the more the inside will cook till rare- med rare, and the more the outside will char up.
Start hot, This means a good 10 min warm up on high untill it gets smoking with lid down.
Adjust the burners to acommadate the amount of meat to go on.
Spice and OIL the ROOM temp meat then open the lid and place the steak.,,,, Lid back down
The odd lick of flame from drippings is the key :wink: , to the charring,
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
tonydav

Post by tonydav »

Yes I agree about the flame charring. Really need to keep an eye and the carcinogens does concern me. And using the flame charring it is possible albeit difficult to get a 1.5cm chop to medium. Agree 1cm would be near impossible to time right - a bit like cooking "minute" steaks to be pink!

Back to the flame charring; I'd considered if you got enough heat out of the unit this wouldn't be necessary. I've seen the output they can get out of grill stations at restaurants and was hoping to do this with a BBQ. Maybe not possible....