New BBQ Purchase

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
venno

New BBQ Purchase

Post by venno »

Hi All

I have just been given $600 in vouchers for BBQs Galore from work. This is quite timely as my old 4 burner Downunder barbie (ironically purchase from BBQ Galore for $400 6 years ago) is well and truly shot after spending its time in the coastal salt air environment.

The Downunder was never a good barbie from day one and I never had a truly good steak from it (although it could be me and not the barbie I suppose). I love medium rares with nice searing on the outside, I don't think the Downunder ever got hot enough to do that well.

Back to the question at hand, I'm prepared to spend a fair bit more than $400 this time around and am looking for a BBQ that will tolerate the salt air and cook a good steak. Obviously it will be purchased from BBQ Galore so I can use the vouchers to subsidize the purchase. I am prepared to tip in up to $1k from my pocket for a decent barbie. I like grilling things and would never use a wok burner (don't understand how they become a BBQ attatchment). An easy to maintain/clean bbq is a plus also.

What would you all reccomend?
Mark2011

Re: New BBQ Purchase

Post by Mark2011 »

Find a Galore that sells Weber.

Spirit E-310 would suit you to a tee. :)
John

Post by John »

Maybe even one of the Weber Q series, possible a Q300.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Venno,

Firstly welcome to the forum :D

After reading your considerations and the fact that you don't need a wok burner, and you'd be wanting something that won't rust away in a short time although I guess that old one lasting for 6 yrs in that environment is not all bad, My suggestion would be the Weber Q300P

Now the tricky part is to find a BBQs galore who will stock this model because I think (I could be wrong) these are a premium model of Weber so therefore can only be sold in Weber premium dealers.
The reason I recommend this one for you is that it's all grill and all the grill can be used with the option of half grill half plate as the grill is split in 2.
The Q300P can damn near feed an army, yet with it's 2 burner set-up gets very hot and very economical on gas compared to your usual 4 burner bbqs with similar grill capacity.
The lid is made from cast aluminium and can't rust, the grates are of a porcilin covered Cast iron (have heard of some of these rusting but it's easy to keep them covered in oil to stop this happenning) the body is metal but very well coated in enamel so really nothing can rust on these that much..just be vigilant with using cast iron plates that's all.
The Q300P has a 5 year warranty by Weber Australia and all the guys on here will testify how good Weber after-sales service is...if a lot of companies could follow their lead....it'd be a great consumer world.
Comes with a trolley (make sure that the gas cylinder you use will fit at the back of the trolley...some don't)

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberq.htm

From the Weber Aus site.....now you can start to buy some good accessories you will need: a cover (if it will be outdoors but also good for salty conditons), a trivet(looks like a very solid cake rack that you use for indirect roasting/baking) teflon sheet (to keep hotplate clean or you can use directly on the grills for a softer grilling effect..great for vegies and fish) The Australian weber Q cook book(this is a good book to have which shows you how to set up for different kinds of bbq) Weber remote probe temp guage A must have device to tell you what your meat temp is like at all times.

So that should do you for now..I take it you've already got the essential tongs and spatulas, gloves etc....that should set you back probly just over $1,000 give or take a hundred but you won't be sorry.
The Q series BBQs are the best selling bbqs in Australia because they come in all different sizes and they do a great job.
All Q series BBQs are designed for LID DOWN HIGH HEAT GRILLING unlike most bbqs where the lid is only supposed to be used for roasting..the difference in lid down grilling is unbeleiveable because the vapours of the meat cooking is staying within the meat and the meat cooks quicker because the heat stays around the meat..not up in the atmosphere.....it might take a little getting use to but you'll love the difference.

Go and have a look at one at your closest bbqs gal...don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let the salesman divert you to a bbq that is inferior and one you might suspect that they are gunna make more money on.
Unfortunately not many BBQs Galore are premium weber dealers but I do know they stock some of the Q300 series Weber grills.

Happy hunting..let us know what you bought and then we can help you if required.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
sosman

Post by sosman »

What Davo said, but ...

- If you can't get the Q300P, the standard Q300 is only missing the battery operated ignition and the hot plate (at least IIRC). Neither of these are show stoppers. On some of the smaller models, the premium version has higher dome, temp gauge etc which is pretty useful so I hear.

- The weber trivet is very solid and a good size.

- I must say I am a bit of a dissenter on the weber Q cookbook. Sure it has some great recipes but its all a bit high brow for me. Best thing is to flick through and see if you would cook many of the recipes in the book. My missus bought the book but we don't use it that much.

- I have the weber brush but find myself using a brass cheapy more often than not.

- If you go for the weber tools, I reckon the 2 piece set (flat tongs which don't trash your steak and spatula) are far better value than the funky 3 piece set.

For years I had a four burner unit, getting the Q300P has been a major step up.
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

I personally feel the Weber Spirit E-310. Is a better BBQ, then the Q300.

Similar in size, has a third burner for more fire power. Has a 25 year warranty on the cooking box, 10 year warranty on the grill.
You roast directly on the grills, rather then on a trivet. Which means less you have to clean up afterwards
Comes with a hotplate.

The spirit has a fully included trolley, looks more bang for your buck. Both do similar jobs but you can fit more meat in the Spirit as it has a much larger capacity hood.

I have seen 5 lumps of meat done at once on a spirit, compared to 2 on the Q 300.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Mark

You make some good points, however, the grill transfers too much heat when you roast/cook indirect on the grill. You need the trivet or a rack to lift it off the grill. The Q300 has a smaller footprint and comes with a CI grill as compared to the porcelain coated pressed steel grill on the Spirit. The spirit has an enclosed cabinet whereas the Q300 doesn't. Both BBQs will get to a lid temp of 575F+ . At the end of the day it is a much of a muchness, I have cooked on both and my preference is the Q300P that also comes with the half hot plate as well as the two half grills. Yes you do need to use a trivet but I use the trivet for diffent types of cooks as well as roasting.

Cheers
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

Having cooked on a spirit numerous times, I have never found it to be much of an issue. Especially when roasting at 190-200 degrees. The meat is always suculent and juicy and full of flavour.

I Guess its just opinion though. Both cook well, the spirit is just more bang for your buck!
Bottle has a gas weigh station, better warranty.
Bren

Post by Bren »

Venno... I recently got a Q220 and am a very happy chappy. I would of got the 300p but dont need one that big. I was fortunate enough to catch up with Phil "aka captain cook" in Mallacoota a few weeks ago. He has a vast knowledge of bbq's of all types not to mention some very tried and true recipies . thanks again Phil for all the advise.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Mark,
Does the spirit have a spit facility on the sides?
If it does its a plus.

Regardless, I'm with Mark on this one.
More room, heat, Height, Burner control.

But prolly more gas usage.
If that doesn't bother you ? Id go the spirit any day over a Q.

Call me old fashioned, but to do much on the Q sounds like a right PITA with all the trivets on top of balls, on top of foil, on top of THE GRILL.
Fat dripping down,, PITA.
I like the roasting pan sitting off to the side with meat in it and veg all around.
I can move it on heat,,, I can move it off heat. All drippings stay in the pan.
Whose for gravy?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
King Erik the 14th

Post by King Erik the 14th »

If you want something that cooks a good steak, will tolerate the salty coastal environment, cooks a good steak, and you can get it from BBQG, what about a ceramic style?
Erik XIV
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes, Your Royal Highness........ A Kamado is the perfect answer!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
sosman

Post by sosman »

King Erik the 14th wrote:If you want something that cooks a good steak, will tolerate the salty coastal environment, cooks a good steak, and you can get it from BBQG, what about a ceramic style?
Yeah the $600 will just about cover the difference in BBQG vs internet kamado.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey Mick wrote:Mark,
If it does its a plus.

But prolly more gas usage.
If that doesn't bother you ? Id go the spirit any day over a Q.

Call me old fashioned, but to do much on the Q sounds like a right PITA with all the trivets on top of balls, on top of foil, on top of THE GRILL.
Fat dripping down,, PITA.
I like the roasting pan sitting off to the side with meat in it and veg all around.
I can move it on heat,,, I can move it off heat. All drippings stay in the pan.
Whose for gravy?
Mick

You can also cook this way on the Q300 if you wish. I sometimes will use a foil tray with water in it and a rack/trivet on top of it with the BBQ on its lowest setting for cooking lamb.. I use the same method for Char Sui pork with the BBQ on medium heat.

I also have a Genesis and I use so many different methods of cooking on it also. It all depends on the dish and what I want to achieve - I do experiment quite a lot.

Cheers
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

It does have the function of adding a rottisserie but cooking indirectly on the grills, the flavour is awesome
Smokey Mick wrote:Mark,
If it does its a plus.