Importing a Weber?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Captain Cook

Re: Importing a Weber?

Post by Captain Cook »

Fleecyears wrote:Hi guys,

Back in December last year, I ordered a Weber S670 BBQ from the USA after finding out that Weber does not carry the full stainless steel model here in Australia complete with a tuck away rotisserie. The BBQ shop here in Sydney wanted $5,000 for the E650 model which is a slightly lower specked model to the top of the line 670 series, because in the E650, the rotisserie is bolted to side of cabinet and does not tuck away neatly and unit painted in black enamel.

The S670 was ordered from an eBay auction site based in New York in late Dec 2010 and was delivered to my home last Monday.

Cost Breakdown

$1,749 for BBQ
$395 for shipping
$700 for customs, admin, quarantine and delivery to home by courier from Port Botany, NSW.
$40 for new regulator hose to suit Australia from BBQ Galore
$100 for licensed gas fitter to take off US reg and replace with Aussie one. Entire assembly is same including fittings at BBQ end. Literally plug and play. Note US LPG pressure is identical to Aussie version. Therefore, NO re-calibration required

Total cost $2,934

For the $$ savings, it's well worth getting it sourced from USA, even after taking warranty into account.

BTW, I used the unit last night and it was fantastic.

Best Regards,
Fleecy
Fleecy
I am glad you are happy with your purchase and would love to come to your place and play with it. From what I have read on the US forum the S670 is the be all end all.

A word of caution if I may. The model you imported does not have AGA approval. For a start, any accidents involving this BBQ may not be covered by insurance.
Please be wary about recommending that people do what you did from a legal standpoint. In today's society some people want to pass the blame on to others.

Cheers
Fleecyears

Post by Fleecyears »

Sorry, I can't seem to post any pictures as I get an error message saying "Board Quota Exceeded"

Any thoughts?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

You need to sign up to Photobucket or such like, store your photo in there and then copy and paste the IMG code from photobucket into your post.

Cheers
Fleecyears

Post by Fleecyears »

Thanks for the tip Captain Cook. Hope these images look okay as I still need to take off the protective blue tape from the door edges.

On this image you can see the tuck away rotisserie on the left, which is not yet available here in OZ.

This feature is really cool as it provides a reasonable indication of how much gas is still available in the cylinder.

I love the fact the Gas Cylinder is hidden away from public view, which adds to the clean look of the Summit.

Just a picture of a New York style strip loin on the grill with the smoker box going and some Rosemary on top. The steak turned out to be too over cooked to my liking (well done), but it was still tender. I was actually hoping for Medium Rare. Oh well, practice makes perfect !

Does anyone have any good tips on cooking this type of meat?

Last edited by Fleecyears on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

It's almost a shame to get that dirty!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

:shock:
That thing looks like it would Suck start a Sydney bus,,, :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
TrevorA

Post by TrevorA »

I purchased a Weber Genesis BBQ and I am looking for someone who can change the manifold and the gas hose.

Weber are no longer willing to offer the service.

If anyone can advise who is able to do that - that would be much appreciated.

I live in Melbourne - SE suburbs.

Cheers - Trev
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I was wondering when Weber were gunna pull the plug on private exports..... :roll:

Hope you don't expect warranty jobs on it too Trevor.....I'm not saying this to be mean or anything Trev but because of our high Dollar, Weber has probably been losing sales to overseas and some of the models like the Summit above are not avail here so if anything should go wrong, Him and yourself are kind of on your own although Genesis is avail here, hopefully for you the parts may be avail.

Anyway, a good gas man or gas supply place should be able to advise or help you out with parts.

Just be very wary that if your bbq is near the house or shed and something goes bang and burn it down (rare i know but it has happenned) if your bbq is found to be the cause and is not Australian complianced....Insurance companies might be very cold towards you.

I fully understand the massive savings that can be had by buying overseas as long as the savings well outweigh the risks.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

A gas fitter should be able to do your fit out.
Where in the SE are you?
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Summit wrong

Post by Summit wrong »

Hi
Just thought I'd share my unhappy experience and maybe find a solution in the process.
I moved to Perth from the uk. I couldn't find a local Weber gas dealer in WA but was clearly mistaken.
so I bought a summit e470 from an approved dealer in the UK who packed it for shipping to Australia and delivered it directly to the removal company handling our container.
I declared it and paid $ 270 in duty.
After assembling my pride and joy, I realised that the cylinder was a different connection. The gas hose thread seemed different. So I phoned weber : I was stunned to hear that they would not/ could not help me. The local weber shop Aussie light in Midland were fantastic. brianna contacted weber in Adelaide but again no joy.
I managed to speak to the WA representative who can't help me either, unless I get an AGA approved inspector to say that it can be converted! I can't see how he can approve something before it is converted! But that is the Catch 22 situation that I am in
I have contacted a very nice inspector who has agreed to come over and see it. If this doesn't work out I may have a very expensive but useless piece of Garden furniture!
I live in a rented house so I'm not keen to use an unapproved product.
Any comment?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Summit wrong wrote:Hi
Just thought I'd share my unhappy experience and maybe find a solution in the process.
I moved to Perth from the uk. I couldn't find a local Weber gas dealer in WA but was clearly mistaken.
so I bought a summit e470 from an approved dealer in the UK who packed it for shipping to Australia and delivered it directly to the removal company handling our container.
I declared it and paid $ 270 in duty.
After assembling my pride and joy, I realised that the cylinder was a different connection. The gas hose thread seemed different. So I phoned weber : I was stunned to hear that they would not/ could not help me. The local weber shop Aussie light in Midland were fantastic. brianna contacted weber in Adelaide but again no joy.
I managed to speak to the WA representative who can't help me either, unless I get an AGA approved inspector to say that it can be converted! I can't see how he can approve something before it is converted! But that is the Catch 22 situation that I am in
I have contacted a very nice inspector who has agreed to come over and see it. If this doesn't work out I may have a very expensive but useless piece of Garden furniture!
I live in a rented house so I'm not keen to use an unapproved product.
Any comment?
I think that you have a BSP tapered thread, anyway talk to your local plumber or plumbing supplier, all you need is an adapter for the fitting on the BBQ and a new hose and regulator and it should be ok. As I said check with a plumber.

Cheers

Cap'n
damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

So who did you order it from fleecy?
damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

Here is a wacky question !

I want the natural gas version, is the USA plug the same as Asutralias?
Fleecyears

Post by Fleecyears »

Hi damianpyro,

I ordered mine through

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2011-Web ... 3633wt_948

The unit is purring like a kitten, no problems thus far. Like I said earlier, just pick up a hose from BBQ Galore and do it yourself to save even more money
damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

Thanks for that. I can get them cheaper in the USA but no free postage.

Did you get the air (pay extra) or the sea freight for free?

I really want the natural gas version but not sure if I have the balls to order it sight unseen.

The LPG is an easy changeover, the next door neighbour is a plumber/gasfitter, and he will do it for me.