Large Gas bottles

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Paul M

Large Gas bottles

Post by Paul M »

Hi All,
I have a question regarding use of large gas bottles that supply our house. We have a Masport 5 burner BBQ bought from Harvey N a few years back, normally runs off the standard 8.5kg bottle. The new house we had built uses two large LPG cylinders as we are not on mains gas (Goolwa, SA) and we have an outlet in our alfresco for a BBQ. Apart from the appropriate hose and connector, are there any other things we need such as a new regulator etc?

Thanks, Paul
"Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately the experience usually comes from bad judgement"
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Large Gas bottles

Post by Davo »

Hi Paul,

Thats a good question and I can't recall anyone connecting their LPG BBQ up to such a Cylinder and I think maybe because it's such a thing that if done wrongly, can be devastating.
Household LPG cylinders are quite big and may run on much a higher pressure than a 8.5kg for a BBQ because the gas needs to travel right through the house so I would think it could use a higher pressure but please don't quote me on this.

I think it may be a good idea to speak with the people who installed the gas system to your house and they should be able to tell you whether or not you need a different regulator or whether it's feasible.

Might be easier and cheaper to buy an additional 8.5 KG Cylinder and fill them in rotation.

Is that the very same Massport you bought in 2014 when you first joined the forum, if so, you've had a good run out of it.

I had a Massport 210 some years ago as well, I remember getting a lot of flame ups due to how the fat drippings ran down and under the upturned V flame tamers and kept on catching fire. It used more gas than a V8 Supercar but I guess it was a much bigger machine than the Weber Q's I was used to so I ended up selling it to my friend in Newcastle who loves it. Maybe it was me, I just didn't know how to drive it :lol:

Let us know how you get on but any gas store like AGL etc can advise you on the best solution. I'd hate to be the one to advise you and it goes kaboom.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day
I had a mate who run his granny flat hot water system off a 8.5kg swap n go bottle perched on two milk grates instead of the large cylinder so I’m pretty sure it’s the correct gas. How you would do a click in connection though?
Town gas is different and a gas bbq requires different jets ( larger) to operate so my quess is you wouldn’t use that type of connection.
Wish me old mate Steve was around to ask. He was a gas plumber. He trouble shot my old town gas bbq helped me decommission of that POS. I moved to a Q200 and a single 8.5 bottle every 6 months.
So get the help of a gas plumber. Even if you pay for the advise, it’s a good thing, let’s the experts do an experts job. Trust me Steve required a few beers to keep him on site but he was worth ever one.
Regards Dave
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

Davo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:27 pm Hi Paul,

Thats a good question and I can't recall anyone connecting their LPG BBQ up to such a Cylinder and I think maybe because it's such a thing that if done wrongly, can be devastating.
Household LPG cylinders are quite big and may run on much a higher pressure than a 8.5kg for a BBQ because the gas needs to travel right through the house so I would think it could use a higher pressure but please don't quote me on this.

I think it may be a good idea to speak with the people who installed the gas system to your house and they should be able to tell you whether or not you need a different regulator or whether it's feasible.

Might be easier and cheaper to buy an additional 8.5 KG Cylinder and fill them in rotation.

Is that the very same Massport you bought in 2014 when you first joined the forum, if so, you've had a good run out of it.

I had a Massport 210 some years ago as well, I remember getting a lot of flame ups due to how the fat drippings ran down and under the upturned V flame tamers and kept on catching fire. It used more gas than a V8 Supercar but I guess it was a much bigger machine than the Weber Q's I was used to so I ended up selling it to my friend in Newcastle who loves it. Maybe it was me, I just didn't know how to drive it :lol:

Let us know how you get on but any gas store like AGL etc can advise you on the best solution. I'd hate to be the one to advise you and it goes kaboom.

Cheers

Davo
Hi Dave,
It is the same masport we bought in 2014, it has been sitting idle for about 2 1/2 years as we have been living in a caravan and it has been in storage. It is now getting a thorough clean and refurb to use.
I will ask a gas plumber or supplier for help as I dont want to end up in orbit somewhere!
Cheers, Paul
"Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately the experience usually comes from bad judgement"
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah Paul, it should scrub up well as they are a decent Stainless steel unit, very strong too and I would've kept mine only I wasn't keen on those flame tamers.

Yes I think it's best to get good advice and also while I think of it, best to get a new hose for it too as it could have perished during storage, at least give it the old soap suds test to check for leaks.

Good luck with it mate....chuck a picture on here when you get it going. You can post pics on here directly by clicking on attachments under the posting box. You may have to resize your pics to fit.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback, I have spoken with the gas installer who did our house. I dont need a regulator as there is one on the house bottle, I need a bayonet connector for the house with the appropriate connector to join to the BBQ. If the house is changed to Natural Gas, the connection requirement will change.
A trip to Bunnings and Mitre 10 for the required bits (and some better wheels) is now planned

Cheers, Paul
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

This is the finished product after a bit of TLC. Fitted new and better casters, replaced all screws, bit of panel beating, lots of cleaning from my partner and it looks a whole lot better after being in storage for well over two years.
Now to re-christen it over the weekend if only this crap weather would bugger off.

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
20221123_160722.jpg
20221123_160722.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
20221123_160659.jpg
20221123_160659.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
20221123_160647.jpg
20221123_160647.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Wow Paul, that Massport looks like a new one....well done....can alsmost smell the snags on it already :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black