Weber Genesis vs other brand hooded bbq

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
hjl

Weber Genesis vs other brand hooded bbq

Post by hjl »

The Weber genesis bbq is expensive new. But can be bought for around $500 second hand. The other brand 4 burner hooded bbq's are around that new.
So should one buy a second hand genesis or a other brand new?
Pro's and con's of both.
I am biased to the weber as I have 2 baby q"s a gas ga and 3 charcoal weber kettles.
Looking for something that runs on gas that can cook roast pork with crackling every time. The charcoal kettles do it. The baby q can do it but the pork prep is a real process. Just converted one of my kettles to gas will see how that goes.
Cheers
hjl
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Weber Genesis vs other brand hooded bbq

Post by Davo »

Hi hjl,

Yeah I've often seen used Weber Genesis or Spirit BBQs used and fairly cheap on Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree, I guess it's like buying anything, you really got to carefully check it out but at least if there's a ding or two, you can haggle hard...remember people just need to get rid of it but you still got to be fair.

Even the older Genesis with the East West burners are ok, still good to do a lot of indirect. You can also use the Weber Q technique with the Genesis by using foil and trivets. Roast up to 5 chickens at a time doing it this way. The Genesis also has a high lid that should accommodate a couple of beer can chickens.

Before you arrange to inspect, ask if they have a full Gas cylinder so you can see it working, if not, take your own.

Good Luck

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hjl

Post by hjl »

Thanks for the tip re taking gas bottle with you. Hadn't thought of that.
Cheers
hjl
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

hjl wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:11 pm Thanks for the tip re taking gas bottle with you. Hadn't thought of that.
Cheers
hjl
Even for the sake of safety hjl because you don't know what condition someone else's cylinder is in......also a thought just came to mind, even though it might look ok, call up Weber Australia and order a new Gas hose for your used bbq because you don't know how old the original one is or how it has been treated...you don't want any pin holes in your gas hose.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hjl

Post by hjl »

Another very good tip re getting a new gas hose. Thanks
Cheers
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi Davo
Was just re reading your post about the genesis and the foil and trivets. So would you just put foil over where the burners are ? Then racks (trivets) on top of that? So put burners on high for say 15 minutes then on low for rest of cooking Time? I have just cooked my first beer can chicken in my new to me gas kettle. Likeing the sound of could do 2 at once. If you can cook 5 roast chickens at once you probably could cook 4kgs of chicken wings pretty easy.
Cheers
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

Ended up buying a second hand Summit 6 burner. Love it. Can do roast pork with crackling no worries. Beer can chicken is easy. I have done one roast chicken on foil . So if I can do one I could do 5 easy. Prefer the beer can chicken. I use the weber deluxe poultry roaster. Works relly well .
My summit is 14 years old. needed a smoker box. Contacted weber australia if they had one. No worries. Decieded to buy new grills for it. Again no worries to get. Had a bit of trouble with the starter. Was sent a complete starter assembly for free. Got to love weber customer service.
Cheers
hjl
titch

Post by titch »

Got to love weber customer service.

second to none in Australia, they replaced a kettle for me a year ago, very easy,no pain involved
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The Summits are their top model Gassers and are very expensive new so the cost of refurbishing a Summit could be a well worthwhile thing to do.
They are a brilliant piece of kit. Good buying!!

In 14 years, many people would be on their 3rd BBQ by now.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hjl

Post by hjl »

My summit was very cheap. I did have to drive 6 hours and return 6 hours to get it. Still very cheap about 10 % of new price. I know a new model would be better but I could never afford one. My Summit does anything I want. Just something for other people to think about. There may be value in buying a second hand bbq for them.
Cheers
hjl