Ziegler & Brown Grand Turbo

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Truman

Ziegler & Brown Grand Turbo

Post by Truman »

Hi All

Very interested in any comments u might have about this BBQ. Am looking at the 2 x 3 burner (2 separate hoods) version. These BBQs have the RQT type burners (radiant quartz technology ceramic burner with quartz dome combination). Supposedly get real hot.

Am interested inheir high heat grilling ability, but also for roasting).

Saw them in Barbeques Galore (Carseldine, Brisbane).

Thank you.
Truman

Re: Ziegler & Brown Grand Turbo

Post by Truman »

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

That Z&B is a serious looking BBQ at a serious price level...but for $1,000 less you can get the top of the line Weber Summit...also a 6 burner and have enough money left over for a Weber Performer Charcoal kettle or a decent sized Komado and still have change in your pocket.
https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/p ... mit-e-670/

just sayin' :D

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Truman

Post by Truman »

Thanks Davo. Yep, we looked at the weber. (We also have a weber family Q at home, an old weber kettle and a small weber charcoal.). Interested in wether the Ziggy cooks better (hotter esp). Quality-wise, the Ziggy seems to come out on top.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Truman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm Thanks Davo. Yep, we looked at the weber. (We also have a weber family Q at home, an old weber kettle and a small weber charcoal.). Interested in wether the Ziggy cooks better (hotter esp). Quality-wise, the Ziggy seems to come out on top.
Once you get past $1,000 for a gas BBQ the return on cooking better drops dramatically. A Weber Family Q or Ziggy 3 burner can turn out some awesome food.

When you start to spend more money than $1,000 there's other things you're looking to achieve.

If you're after heat you can't go past a Kamado for bang per buck. They can sear a steak at steakhouse temps and cook a pizza no problem.

Zeiger and Brown is a home brand for BBQ Galore. It's pretty good.

When people start to sell you fancy technology a good question to ask is how long is the warranty and does it cover the expensive bits.

BBQ's wear out. For $6,000 in 10 years you don't want to have a white elephant eg broken and you can't get bits to fix it.

One of the good things about the "old" technology gassers is you can walk into a Bunnings and buy the replacement burners. Easy to fix.

A final word about stainless steel. Make sure it doesn't show up finger prints and grease stains or you will spend lots of time keeping it shiny and looking good.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

For that kind of serious Money I'd be looking at a Yoder Pellet grill.....it can basically do everything you need and they get super hot and the metal on those babys are pretty damned solid. I've seen how the Yoder operates and I'm impressed but they do cost a premium over other pellet grills. I had an earlier Traeger pellet grill some years back and I still miss that thing...set it up for a brisket or pulled pork at 9pm and get up at 6am and it's still smoking away and the neighbourhood never smelled so damned good.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Truman

Post by Truman »

Thanks guys, they are exactly the types of comments I'm seeking. I do love the idea of the Kamando and I will check out the Yoder too. Am not in any hurry (the new entertainment/BBQ area is still a few weeks away).

It'll be important too though (forgot to mention) for the set up to have cupboard space - somewhere to store BBQ accessories - though this could be a separate unit.

The son wants a pizza oven (he'd like for us to build one actually - but kits are like $3k!), so the Kamando might fit that purpose too.
Last edited by Truman on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

Just a word on Webers parts service. I have recently rebuilt our 15 year old summit, weber was able to supply new stainless burners, crossover tubes , rear burner rest, flavoriser bars and igniter boxes at a very reasonable price.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Truman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 am Thanks guys, they are exactly the types of comments I'm seeking. I do love the idea of the Kamando and I will check out the Yoder too. Am not in any hurry (the new entertainment/BBQ area is still a few weeks away).

It'll be important too though (forgot to mention) for the set up to have cupboard space - somewhere to store BBQ accessories - though this could be a separate unit.

The son wants a pizza oven (he'd like for us to build one actually - but kits are like $3k!), so the Kamando might fit that purpose too.
check it out......Spriggsy has a fully refurbished Yoder Y640 for sale from SA. these things rock!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AussieP ... p_activity
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Have a look at the stainless steel Kamado cabinets

https://www.thefireplace.com.au/barbecu ... fireplaces

You can have a Kamado and Gasser in some nice SS cabinets.

Truman

Post by Truman »

12x7 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm Have a look at the stainless steel Kamado cabinets

https://www.thefireplace.com.au/barbecu ... fireplaces

You can have a Kamado and Gasser in some nice SS cabinets.

A, yes 12x7, great set-up hey. I have looked at that, and priced it (via GrandFire). When considering the BBQ, the Kamado and its stand, it's racking up to be some serious bank (plus I have to add a double-door fridge and some extra cupboards). (Plus I have the lovely wife saying we don't need a Kamado - but it's not really about need, is it?).
Truman

Post by Truman »

OK, so far I'm keenest on the Ziggy 6 burner Grand Turbo:

https://www.zieglerandbrown.com.au/gran ... n-barbeque

with a double door fridge next to it. That's my current plan (still subject to change). Assuming the Ziggy cooks nice and hot.

I find the two hoods a real bonus, as it'd allow me to do a long-cook in one while having the other to do shorter cooks. Great for parties.

On the other side of the entertainment area, I will build in cupboards under benchtops. It seems reasonably likely too, some time shortly after, that we'll build a pizza oven form one of those kits available.

Like I said, still open to options. I aim to check out the GrandFire in store, plus the Tucker looks good (but only located in Sydney it seems so no way of checking them out firsthand).

Any other better options?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Have a look at these guys

https://www.thebarbequestore.com.au/

The $15,000 kitchen package gives the $6,000 spend on the Ziggy some context when it comes to outdoor kitchens.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Truman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm Yep, we looked at the weber. Interested in wether the Ziggy cooks better (hotter esp).
Quality-wise, the Ziggy seems to come out on top.
Just how hot does the BBQ have to get to, to be hotter ?

190 degrees is as hot as most commercial kitchens require to cook their steaks etc
This is easily available even in the baby 'Q' :lol:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
angew

Post by angew »

Hi Truman. Did you end up going with the Ziegler & Brown Grand Turbo 6 burner? We are looking at same bbq (plus fridge & sink modules) for our outdoor area but keen for some feedback from people that have them on how well they cook.
Last edited by angew on Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.