Getting the Ziggy real hot

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Sparks_3336

Getting the Ziggy real hot

Post by Sparks_3336 »

I've recently gone with a Ziggy triple grill, whilst having cooked on a Webber Q quite a bit, I was swayed by the ability to cook indirect.

Surprised to learn that you aren't supposed to let the grill get over 250°C, when I used to ram my Webber on high and blast the heat the whole cook time for amazing steaks.

My question is, what happens if I let the heat run hotter and I blast my steaks? It says 'NEVER let the grill get over 250°C' about 100 times in the manual, so I'm wondering if this will overheat and destroy parts of my BBQ, or if it's just a silly, overly cautions safety instruction, such as 'NEVER use your pool flotation device without lifeguard supervision'..?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Getting the Ziggy real hot

Post by Davo »

It could be many things but yeah maybe it might start to melt stuff like burners or control knobs ....but it could possibly be that it wasn't designed for high heat grilling like Weber is.
You see, one of the designs that Weber have achieved and patented is the ability to cook high heat with lid down...that's the way Weber wants you to cook, it's the reason why the burners are a bit further down but most of all it's the ventilation....the ventilation design on the Ziggy might mean that if you try and put the heat up to high, heat can't escape and you could end up with a massive fat fire.
I tried to cook the Weber way once on a standard hooded BBQ and one the heat built up towards 250C, we had a massive fat fire.....never do that again. With Weber, the way the lid was designed, the heat can quickly get away as it's ventilated from the sides.

Every Weber Gas BBQ is designed to grill high heat with lid down....where the copies like Ziggy do not have that desgn....they are a good little grill but if it emphasises to never go above 250C which is plenty hot enough really...then I wouldn't do it and they'd be able to tell if it got too hot and void your warranty.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Sparks_3336 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 am
I've recently gone with a Ziggy triple gril ....
For us novices, is this the one you're talking / asking about:

:arrow: https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/zigg ... -with-cart

:?:
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes BBQ Dad, I think its the one referred to, there are a couple of sizes I think.
These were introduced due to the outstanding success of the Weber Q series which have been around since 2006 because I bought one of the first Q120 that came out. These little portable bbqs took off like a grass fire...instant hit BUT it took many Aussies time to get used to a different way of cooking....however Grey Nomads absolutely love them...they are the prime buyers for the smaller grill.
BBQs Galore sell the Ziggy which is the prime brand now for BBQs Galore. The ziggy has an outstanding accesories list and like the Weber, has been a success but they had to be careful not to copy actual design patents like the way Weber Qs are ventilated to cook at high heat with lid down.
Now is hasn't all gone Webers way, some of the Q models have been critisized even by myself being somewhat underpowered compared to the smaller model....i'm referring to the 2000 series of the Q range....some Aussies still wanted to bbq with lid up and the Q's performance was lacking due to its design for lid down cooking...so Zeigler &Brown saw an oportunity to make a portable grill grill but give it more oomph for Aussie lid up grilling....another came on the market too with limited success and that was the Gasmate Bug which tried the cute factor of colour and design...so i think Weber wins overall by function and design and i guess a lot of reputation, then the Ziggy for outright performance.....both are reputable brands and both are poplar for their intended market.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5