New House New BBQ?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Brownie

New House New BBQ?

Post by Brownie »

G'day everyone,

So it's been a few years since I owned a BBQ (I know... my soul is hurting) and we've just recently secured a new home with a deck and BBQ shaped hole on it. After much sad faces at the wife I can happily say that a new BBQ is a go, but now the problem of which direction to go.

Previously I had a basic Jackaroo (Bunnings) six burner, which I enjoyed a lot but never really pushed it creatively. I want to do much more now, from roasts, rotisserie, sauces etc. I'm happy to invest decently in it, as I'd like it to last, but not to the level of an outdoor kitchen expense.

I started considering the Family Q from Weber, but then noticed the Genesis LX line and I started salivating. After reading about some of Weber's positives, such as warranty, quality and service, I feel that I could maybe justify the expense, but I'm open to considering other options. So looking for opinions on maybe 3/4 burner, deck is not massive so space is a consideration as well.

As far as the Weber cooking method, is it better to get the LX 440 over LX 340 for indirect cooking options?

Should I save money and just get the Family Q with a Charcoal Kettle (cause I'm going to get a kettle at some point anyway)?

Or should I consider cheaper options like the recent post from BBQ-Dad on Euro-Grille / Gasmate / etc.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Brownie from Melb.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: New House New BBQ?

Post by Davo »

Hi Brownie,
Welcome to the forum,
I currently have only a Family Q and a Weber Performer Kettle, I used to also own a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker too but because I didn't get the use out of it and for the amount of meat I cook these days, it wasn't worth the amount of charcoal I was putting into it, so I sold it last year and whilst I did miss it sometimes, anything I could do on the WSM, I could do on the Weber kettle which in my opinion is still one of the most versatile BBQ grills in existence and I totally suggest that you should invest in one.

It's only myself and the wife and we don't have kids and families coming over so no need to do large cooking anyway so unless you've got a big tribe, I'd go modest and aim for versatility.
I do most my BBQs on the Weber Q320 which I've had for about 5 yrs now and love it, easy on the gas too compared to a huge 6 burner (yeah been there done that) that drinks more gas than a V8 Supercar. If you get the Family Q with the Half Hotplate, Trivet, some roasting trays, a Weber wire brush...the model now is the Q3200 with the higher lid and temp guage like mine, you walk out with change of a grand....get the kettle a bit later when you've gotten used to the Q but to learn to cook on live fore is a great exoerience.

You can buy a rotiserie unit for both a Weber kettle or a Weber Q so you're covered there. Probably the only thing the Qs lack is a side burner, but for 50 bucks you can pick up one of those butane cartridge burners for your outdoor sauces and stuff.
All in all, if you want to buy yourself a Weber kettle (get the one with the ashpot and temp guage in the lid) and a Weber Q, you should walk out at around $1500 all p including some neccesary BBQ tools..

On a side note, brands like Gasmate, Everdure, Masport etc have been around for years and usually good quality so you shouldn't have many issues.

But...once you get used to cooking the Weber way and learn to trust your grill....you won't look back...and you'll become a fanboy like me :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Thanks Davo. You basically outlined my initial plan to the T.

Only issue I've got is that the new house is a perfect entertainer. I've got two boys with an increasing number of cousins, so larger family entertaining is likely. One of the wife's cousins was using the Family Q the other day for a big group and it worked pretty well, even though he had to cook in batches quite a bit.

That's why I was contemplating investing up into the 3/4 burner genesis range, or a cheaper alternative. Over 2k for the lx 440 though is quite the hit. I'd likely just pick up a second hand charcoal weber a bit later I think if I went that route. If I went the Q route, I think I'd do exactly as you've done.

I had another friend recommend the matador, but barbequing is such a personal experience, it's really hard to compare them without actually cooking on them. :-(

Brownie.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

There's lots of choices and as the family grows and leaves things will change.

BBQ's can last a long time. eg a Weber, gas or charcoal can last 10-15 years. During that time a lot can happen.

If the bulk of your time is cooking for the family, and extra guests that come over every now and then on the weekend, buy a BBQ to suite. eg Weber Family Q or Zieger and Brown 3 burner, "bug" type BBQ.

If you entertain more than the above a more traditional 4 or 6 burner is a good.

People who want more from their BBQ tend to move to cooking with charcoal to complement their gas cooker. eg use the gasser for fast cooks during the week and charcoal on the weekend. Typical BBQ include the Weber Kettle and Chargriller Akorn Kamado. Once you have cooked your first charcoal chicken or pulled pork, most people have a different view on what BBQ really is, compared to their experience with gas.

What sort of budget are you looking at?
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Budget is flexible. I could justify up to 2k (or a little bit over in the case of the lx 440) if it's a long term investment. My boys are really young (under two), so 15 year family time is reasonable.

I've cooked using Charcoal as well, and it's definitely a league of it's own, just a lot more time of course. So yeah, I'll likely get a charcoal on top of whatever I get now. Might even grab a second hand one.

I know people love the Weber, and it's typically said to have a different "Flavour" to other Gassers, but it is a lot of money so still mulling over the investment, and whether the 3 or 4 burner LX will earn it's price over time.

Brownie.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Hey Brownie,

Couple of things to consider in no particular order:

Storage: what do you have to store that is 'BBQ" related. Besides the gas bottle, where will the cleaner stuff get stored, and the BBQ utensils, and extra plates, rotisserie etc. Will you have charcoal stuff, smoking stuff, etc.

Functionality: what will you REALLY cook. We have a great plans, but reality sets it. Your kids are young, so there will be weekend sports, visits to family and the family visiting, so how much time will you REALLY have to cook and use the BBQ? What does the extended family and your friends cook now, and what do they like? Simple stuff or fancy stuff?

Space: How much space do you really have, and will the 'cooking area' also be the 'storage area'? For many of us, we move the BBQ to an area to cook, but it then gets moved out of the way to store.

Keep us posted with your buying process. It will no doubt help others search the interwebs :wink:
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Thanks BBQ-Dad, all good points. My deck is not huge, so space and storage will be an issue, it's why I was thinking of a 3 or 4 burner rather than the 6 or more. Really appreciate your post on your research, very helpful. I checked out that PDF on the gas site as well.

You mentioned you discounted the Weber early, apart from price point, what other features was it lacking for your use?

It's been so long since I've had a BBQ it's all really a wish to get back into it. I would really love to do more roasts, ribs and other recipes beyond the standard chops and snags though.

Brownie
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Brownie wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm ...

You mentioned you discounted the Weber early, apart from price point, what other features was it lacking for your use?

On board storage in the cart / trolley, plus the mobility impact with 'loose storage' items etc. These factors narrowed the filed quickly as we'd had the 'two door' under cabinet type storage previously and found it lacking. We wanted both 'pantry' style 'door type storage and draws.

Construction material of trolley / cabinet as well as the BBQ box were also factors.

Price was a large factor too once we'd started to narrow down the search.

Good luck on your search. Keep us posted!
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Will do. Is this the one you bought? https://www.mytopia.com.au/stainless-st ... urner-bbq/

It looks huge! How hard is it to move?
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Brownie wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:20 pm Will do. Is this the one you bought? https://www.mytopia.com.au/stainless-st ... urner-bbq/

It looks huge! How hard is it to move?
Yep, that's her...

The side shelves fold down which makes moving it around MUCH easier. It rolls well on our timber deck. I store it against a wall and then move it out into a more ventilated area for cooking.

If it's in your purchase decision range, I can post up some measurements. But, for quick reference the product specs are from memory, correct.

PS: We bought the BBQ via their eBay store since the listing price was less, but bought the BBQ cover via that website.