Another which Weber Q choice

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Mr_Miagi

Another which Weber Q choice

Post by Mr_Miagi »

Hi,

I have a weber titanium 6 burner bbq. I got it from my father in law,and want to replace it with a Q, as its to big for my little patio.

I have been leaning between the Weber Q 2200 and family. Now a few questions.

It is only me and my wife and we bbq once a week. About once a month we have friends over. Is that reason enough to get the family (bigger size to cook for 8 people once a month). Also, during winter I have a wood fired pizza oven so will use it less.

Is it worth paying the extra to get the 2200 or 3200 model, as BCF have sales often which make the 2000 and 300 much more affordable. I think the newer version has a thermometer and bigger hood, but again, worth the extra $$$?

Thanks
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Another which Weber Q choice

Post by Davo »

In short....YES!!

I've had every sized Weber Q from baby Q about 12 years ago, went up to a Q220 and now i've got the Q320 family Q and theres only ever been my wife and I but i still manage to fill the grill.
The difference being is that with the family Q having 2 burners as apposed to only one on the smaller models, it heats up hotter and faster and more evenly.
Always go for the premium model if you can afford it for the higher lid for big roasts but its no big deal.they all do the same job..just bells & whistles kind of stuff really.
I've always felt the temp guage is in the wrong spot but its only a guide and not gospel.
You'll probably need a half hotplate and trivet as a minimum...the trivit is for indirect cooking such as roasts.

Finally i want to say is they are very good bbq thats capable of doing better than some of the big silver shiney ones out there because ALL Weber BBQs were designed and built for high heat lid down grilling where the others can do it only for roasts....once you get used to it, you'll never go back to the conventional...i did and regretted it but within 6 months...i had another Q.

Cheers and welcome to the forum

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mr_Miagi

Post by Mr_Miagi »

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. Now to convince the wife.

What accessories do you recommend? I just bought an InkBird IBT-4XS.

Was thinking a good quality carving knife, trivet, half hot plate, smoker.

Im not convinced i need the rotisserie yet as the domed lid should have the same effect?
the dane

Post by the dane »

Half plate is a waste. Just get a roll out liner. Or breakfast plate.
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

I have a 3200 family q and I can sear a perfect steak on it and get it hot enough to cook pizzas in less then 5 mins

I have seen and herd there’s issues hit and miss with the 2000 q it can’t get hot enough ? As it’s a single burner and takes along time to heat up properly

The smaller 1000 meant to be good it’s jisy the 2000 is hit and miss from factory

I would recommend a 3200 family had it for a few years and I done smoked ribs and chicken, low and slows roasts, pizzas you name it ! Very capable
Black Q 3200
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

the dane wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 pm Half plate is a waste. Just get a roll out liner. Or breakfast plate.
Can't say i agree with you here dane although its what you prefer, so thats ok.
I use the half plate alot, its my preferred way for a great sizzle and cooks really quick with the lid down.
Teflon sheets do have heat limits usually 230-250C pending on thickness but i don't trust teflon for hotter than that.
The acid in tomatoes is not much good for teflon apparently, the acid in tomatoes tends to do something to them...and i love grilled tomatoes.
As for breakfast plates, they are cast aluminium arn't they....the half plate feels more stable than the breaky plate as it replaces on of the grill grates and not onto of the grill plates plus the hotplate is a good solid cast iron job....can't beat cast iron.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
the dane

Post by the dane »

I think the breakfast plate is the same made metal as the half plate. I agree soft things like tomatoes do over cook on teflon. As there is only 2 of us i find the breakfast plate good, or teflon. If friends stay over its a quick walk to the shed for the half plate.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Maybe they changed the breakfast plate coz i remember not wanting one as they were cast aluminium and sit on the grate bars which wasn't to my liking as they had the tendency to slide around a bit.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I just use a cost iron plate from a gasser from a roadside clean-up.

Cost me nothing.

I would get a Q3100 using Flybuys to get it or Q3200 (+$20) if using money as they about about $20 difference as the extra $20 gives you a thermometer and larger dome.