Which Portable gas BBQ to buy

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Bexnz

Which Portable gas BBQ to buy

Post by Bexnz »

Hi, I am looking at getting a portable BBQ for camping etc, ideally I would like to be able to bake in it. Which is best? I have been looking at the weber baby q 1200 and Ziggy but are they worth the $ and which is best. Thanks
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Which Portable gas BBQ to buy

Post by Davo »

I can't answer for the ziggy but am sure they'd be ok....but the Weber Q1200 is the pick by all the grey nomads travelling around.
I had a much earlier series Q120 about 12 years ago and it was a fantastic grill and it baked and roasted very well.

The Q2200 is also portable but a bit more heavy and bulky but gives you lots of cooking space.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Ziggy and the Weber are both good.

Ziggy are a BBQ Galore home brand and Weber are sold all over the world.

It comes down to cooking style.

The Ziggy heat is hotter as it is designed to used with the lid open and closed like a normal hood BBQ.

The Weber Q is designed to be used closed.

When you open both up you see they have quite a different burner set-up.

You find lots of people who like to be mobile have the smaller Weber Q, eg baby Q. They are popular in caravan parks and weekenders.

Being mobile, things can be bounced around so if something does break you want a decent warranty and customer support. If you look on this forum you will find many examples of Weber's great customer support.

Here's a Weber Q1200 is action doing a roast chicken. Around the 3:30 minute mark you see how he adds wood chips to add some smoke flavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNhXEYIV1U

How to cook deserts etc on your weber Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsM9tG6iQNY
Last edited by Lovey on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dead youtube embedded videos
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi
I have a weber Baby Q and really like it. I am looking for something smaller to use for tailgateing as the yanks call it. I would like the cooker to be gas.
I would like 2 burners then one can be turned down to keep cooked food warm or one burner could be used to boil the billy on. Would like something that cooks with the hood down (been spoilt with the baby q). What is available in Australia?
Can one boil a billy on the baby q?
Can one get an adaptor to run the coleman bottles on the baby q? This might be the best option.
Cheers
hjl
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

hjl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am Hi
I have a weber Baby Q and really like it. I am looking for something smaller to use for tailgateing as the yanks call it. I would like the cooker to be gas.
I would like 2 burners then one can be turned down to keep cooked food warm or one burner could be used to boil the billy on. Would like something that cooks with the hood down (been spoilt with the baby q). What is available in Australia?
Can one boil a billy on the baby q?
Can one get an adaptor to run the coleman bottles on the baby q? This might be the best option.
Cheers
hjl
Hmmmm dunno..never tried to boil a billy on the Weber BabyQ, never really needed to but I can understand the question coming from a camping angle.....most people usually use a fire, a portable single burner canister gas top or if they've got a van or camper usually use the stove in there...I think it will boil eventually......Have you considered any other type of bbq for the outdoors? Weber have the fantastic Jumbo Joe which is a scaled down portable kettle..theres 2 sizes, the smokey joe and jumbo joe...jumbo is better.....runs on heatbeads or any other charcoal...very portable and you can cook anything on it pretty much.....grill, roast, bake, smoke...it's all in the size of the fire....the only downside would be you can't use on fire ban days but in the cooler Months..no problem.You could certainly boil the billy on one of them.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi davo
Thanks for your post.
I have a WGA and a Cobb cooker so I am pretty good for a charcoal cooker. Often have fire ban days in my area so want gas.
I would like a gas cooker for my tailgate cooker mainly for the quick heat up and cool down so it can be packed away quickly.
I have a Coleman bottle top propane stove (had to use google to find out what it was called). That could be used with a frypan. When food is cooked boil the billy. Thinking out loud here. Only need to cook for 2 people.
Are there any brands of the lunch box cookers that are better ie put out more heat?
Buy one of them to boil billy on and cook on the coleman bottle top.
Cheers
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

I think I have found what might do the job for me.
Gasmate Travelmate 2 Deluxe Twin Stove with hotplate.
8500 btu's per burner. The gasmate single burner was 6500 btu's. So the twin has more grunt on each burner.
I could use this with the hotplate that comes with it. Or could put a frypan on one burner and the billy on the other burner.
Not hooded but I will only use a few times a year. Mainly cook sauages and or burgers so flat plate will work.
The coleman roadtrip's are hooded and can have a flat plate and a trivet to boil billy on. Can they be used with coleman gas cansisters?
Cheers
hjl
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

Here is another option for a good camping grill. It is the Cobb Premier Gas Grill and is about to be released in your country in the next few weeks. You can do about anything you want in this grill including baking. I will include a few pictures so you can see it in action. I will start with some baking pictures.

Some regular grilling.

Meatloaf & Baked Potatoes

Filet Mignon

The steak, potato, biscuit, and asparagus was all cooked in this little gas grill.

Turkey on the rotisserie.

As above, it all was cooked on the grill.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi Old Dave
Thanks very much for the heads up re gas Cobb. I have a charcoal Cobb so have some idea of the use of it. Nowhere near what you have done. Your cooking efforts are outstanding.
Regards
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

The cobb coming out in gas has got me thinking.
Is the Weber Go Anywhere Gas Grill available in australia?
Or do you have to get one posted over from the USA?
Cheers
hjl
hjl

Post by hjl »

I have bought a Gasmate Travelmate 2 Deluxe Twin Stove. I think it will do what I want it for picnics etc. Might even get to try it out over Easter.
Cheers
hjl
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

These are cheap, easy to use, carry and refill.