Newbie with some build questions

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
YimmiY

Newbie with some build questions

Post by YimmiY »

Hi guys, been lurking around the forum for awhile but thought I better join.
I've just recently bought my first house and the bbq area needs a makeover, the jackeroo built in that is in there is absolutely garbage and will end up on the kerb next council clean up.
Having a Weber Q for over 5 years, the new built in Weber Q was an easy decision, but have a few questions on the materials used to build the existing bbq surround.
The frame has been built from treated pine with cement board used only under and around the bbq, then some type of hardwood timber used to finish the front and top of unit.
My question is how fire safe is the current construction?
Webers instructions state that only non combustible materials are to be used.
I need to modify the unit to fit the bigger Weber Q in so if I have to remove the whole thing and start again it's not a problem.
I've seen alot being made out of galvanised u channel then being covered in cement board, do I need to go this extreme?
I'll upload a couple of pics to show what I'm tackling, any help would be great as the Mrs wants it up and running so we can use it haha.

I'm going for a similar design but want to put a bar fridge on the left hand side and a cupboard with door on the right for the gas bottle and bbq accessories.

Cheers
Jimmy

Gurilla

Re: Newbie with some build questions

Post by Gurilla »

How have you gone with your build ?

As I’m interested in making something similar “out of bricks though I’m a Bricky”
As I would like to use a q built in as my q is the best bbq I’ve had

Also have you put or going to put a range hood? What type of rentilation do you have ? As the q produces a lot of smoke when cooking steaks and stuff

That’s my main concern as I have a large patio and want to brick up a L shape maybe full Hight

And there will be no air etc
Black Q 3200
Mainey . . .

Re: Newbie with some build questions

Post by Mainey . . . »

:idea:

Make sure the range hood sits at least level with the front of the BBQ and can actually draw ALL the smoke away :roll: :roll: :roll:

I used a 6 x burner BBQ recently that was professionally built (bricks) and the range hood sat back covering only half the BBQ :oops:

Unfortunately, the extraction fan could not draw away most of the smoke and smoke filled the covered area to the point where we had to leave and go back inside :oops:

But it sure did look great when not in use ha ha ha
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P