Weber Family Q cost free hot plate

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
12x7

Weber Family Q cost free hot plate

Post by 12x7 »

If you have a council clean-up be on the look out for discarded 2 or 3 burner gassers as the hot plate is useful as a hot plate on the Family Q.

Here's what it looks like. A nice free addition and saves between $50 and $80 on a buying a Weber breakfast plate or half hot plate.

At the back I have some two ceramic flame tamers I savaged from a discarded gasser to stop the plate moving towards the back as I push stuff around.
Qplate.jpg
Qplate.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
davida

Re: Weber Family Q cost free hot plate

Post by davida »

Good free find. Looks as though it will do the job.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

12x7 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm If you have a council clean-up be on the look out for discarded 2 or 3 burner gassers as the hot plate is useful as a hot plate on the Family Q.

Here's what it looks like. A nice free addition and saves between $50 and $80 on a buying a Weber breakfast plate or half hot plate.

At the back I have some two ceramic flame tamers I savaged from a discarded gasser to stop the plate moving towards the back as I push stuff around.
Qplate.jpg
With the genuine Weber hotplate which covers one half of the entire Weber Family Q there are instructions that it must be placed on one particular side only. I have assumed this has something to do with the burners and air movement. I wonder if there is a safety issue otherwise?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

mymonaro wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm
12x7 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm If you have a council clean-up be on the look out for discarded 2 or 3 burner gassers as the hot plate is useful as a hot plate on the Family Q.

Qplate.jpg
With the genuine Weber hotplate which covers one half of the entire Weber Family Q there are instructions that it must be placed on one particular side only. I have assumed this has something to do with the burners and air movement. I wonder if there is a safety issue otherwise?
If you put in two Weber hot plates you stop the convention effect.

I like the plate size I found as it allows the air to flow around the food like the same effect you get with a Kamado and the deflector. You can see the outer edge allow the heat/air from below to flow outside.

It works like the Weber Q trivet.

Last edited by 12x7 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

What a clever and cost saving idea, thank you for sharing.
the dane

Post by the dane »

Another good call is put the weber Q grill plate on your weber Kettle, you get a great sear on beef roasts. Also put the charcoal baskets directly under the grill plates to do thick Tbones ribeyes etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I think you'll be right with airflow and convention with that hotplate, it'd be little difference having it like the indirect cooking method and theres airflow on every side plus you'll get the heat under the plate as well....good find.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5