Natural Gas BBQ

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
thomasda

Natural Gas BBQ

Post by thomasda »

Hi, I am hoping to obtain some help. I have been given a Ultra Q 4 burner BBQ which is currently on LG Gas and I have a natural Gas outlet available. I want to convert the BBQ to Natural Gas. I went to BBQ Galore which when I rang they said they could help but when I went there in person it was a different matter. I can apparently get the gas jets but the hose may be an issue. Is it better just to get a new BBQ, stick to LP or convert to Natrural Gas. The compliance plate on the back of the BBQ does say it is natural gas complaint.
Thank you
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Natural Gas BBQ

Post by Lovey »

G'day Thomas,
I guess it depends on how much value you put onto your BBQ. To get it running on natural gas, you'll have to change a few things, which you probably already knew. It will have to be done by a licensed technician/gasfitter to make it compliant with the standards though. This conversion will most likely be expensive, to the point that it may be cheaper to buy a new BBQ.
If you do get it changed over from LPG to natural gas by someone who isn't suitably qualified and things go pear shaped, you might find yourself without any insurance cover, or way worse, one of your loved ones could be hurt.
Check with the BBQ shop to see if they have any recommendations for a gasfitter, they may also have an idea of the costs involved. They you can weigh up whether its worth it or not.
All the best,
Steve.
thomasda

Post by thomasda »

Thank you will check it out
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Have a think about much you will use the Q as well and how much trouble it will be to change the gas bottle. It is pretty easy with Swap and Go nowadays and if you are that worried about running out of gas, just keep a spare on hand.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Leave it on lpg a Q uses so little gas and you can move it around if you want
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I'm kinda with the others on this, I'd be leaving it with LPG and natural Gas runs at a lower pressure, it doesn't get as hot with natural Gas and LPG is a much cleaner gas to use.
It's a lot cheaper to buy an additional 4 kilo or even another 9 kilo gas cylinder for a filled up spare than to stuff around with natural Gas....and natural gas ain't as cheap as it used to be so I actually question it's value.
To change, you'll need a qualified techie to do it otherwise you could run into issues as stated if it goes pair shaped.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5