Hi ... and to gas or not to gas

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Powderdigit

Hi ... and to gas or not to gas

Post by Powderdigit »

Hi! I joined the forum this weekend and thank you for allowing me to be part of the discussion. I've looked on for a week or so; the knowledge and advice here is great. People seem to have a laugh too - all good.

I've decided to drop my first post into the Gas BBQ section because I am fighting myself on what to buy. I'll try to be succinct but I tend to babble and there a lot in my skull. :?

A bit of context:-

1. What do I cook? Mainly family meals during the week; so a fast start is helpful after work. I'll generally take on more ambitious cooking adventures on the weekend where I have more time.
2. Current Setup? A Weber kettle only… yeah don’t laugh! There's a back-story … until 18 months ago, I also had a weber gas BBQ and the kettle. The gasser lasted 19+ years and was a model with no hood - rather a sliding enamel cover. Weber don't make this version anymore. I loved the BBQ - brilliant! Even temperature and built like a tank. In the end, I threw it away too early! :oops: I should have replaced a few parts and I wanted a hood. So - I put it on hard rubbish and that was rubbish decision! Oh, well. :roll:
3. Now … I'm loving wood. I have been cooking on a kettle only for 18 months - I am not sure and I can go back to gas but… the kettle isn't really ideal for bigger cooks when family and friends come over - albeit possible. It's also a bit of a pain in the clacker to setup during the week after work, in the dark, in winter.
4. As I have been forced to use wood with no gasser - I am more skilled than I used to be and the taste is better - much better. Cooking over wood is my preferred options but sometimes ease of use and speed is of the essence.

So ... I love the Weber Genesis series or even better the Summit series. I will use a hood, I will use the smoker, I will use the rotisserie and that infrared burner thingo - I imagine it all works well.

That said, the price is simply insane … nuts. Well I think so.

So that forced me to look in other directions; other brands - it's hard to find Weber quality in gassers. Then I look at other wood options Primo's Oval vs Kamado vs Green eggs; Yoder smokers, pellet grills (Even though Pellet grills may make sense, I can't come at them yet. It just doesn't feel right - I would feel like I am loading rabbit droppings into a hopper.)

You get the picture - I am confusing myself….hmmm :?

So I return to base .
1. If I get a gasser - is the cost of the Weber worth it? That's the question I am fighting myself on.
2. Or - do I turn away from gas and just add another wood option with a rotisserie … oh, and don't get me started on Argentinian style gaucho grills where you can raise and lower the meat - cop this short video that I was watching last night - cool BBQ that!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHdbhtJNfA

3. Do I just try and get a custom made unit somewhere here in Melbourne? I could potentially get something pretty good made for the cost a Weber Summit!

First post - sorry - I've rambled on!

Any thoughts welcome … :)
Powderdigit
the dane

Re: Hi ... and to gas or not to gas

Post by the dane »

Kamados are fun so are wsms. But gas is good its there no messing about. The Weber Genesis II looks amazing but $$$. May be try to find a dealer with old stock. Runout sales
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

the dane wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 pm May be try to find a dealer with old stock. Runout sales
Cheers the dane - good idea - I'll look into it.
Powderdigit
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Hi PD
There are many different horses that run on many different courses.......
If there was a BBQ that did everything perfectly in the one unit, we would all be lining up to buy it ! Alas it does not exist, so many members here have one or more different BBQ for the different cooks, ie gas pizza oven and offset smoker plus a Weber.
So it will alway be a compromise if you only wish to have one unit and do many things on it.
Another thing that seems to have gone the way of the Do-do is why not look for second hand in Gumtree and the likes, it seems that in today times everyone automaticly thinks you have to buy new, I picked up an un used sound bar including a sub woofer that came as a bonus with a new tv purchase, the family had a home theatre system and no need for it, it was on Gumtree for just over 3 weeks so offer $50 and it is now on our back deck.
You will be amazed how many people will impulse buy and then sell it at half there costs.
Last edited by Bronson on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Thanks Bronson.

I reckon I am going to end up with at least two horses and maybe more. Compromise is sometimes OK but also often not quite right.

Good point on second-hand and indeed, run-out models are an option too.

Thanks
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Why do you need a gas BBQ?

When there is a total fire ban.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Hey folks,

Starting to edge closer to a gas BBQ...I'm thinking that I already have my charcoal option with the Weber Kettle.

A few more questions to the forum.
  • Does anyone use Lifestyle bbq's; they are made in Sydney and I like the idea of buying locally made but are they good and do they have distributers in Melbourne?
  • Regardless of brand, I have generally cooked on cast iron hot plates and grills - any thoughts on a stainless?
  • I like the idea of a rotisserie but i worry I am buying a gimmick. For those that have purchased a BBQ rotisserie - does it become a dis-used accessory or do you love it? For example - I like the idea of the integrated rotisserie in some of the Weber models but... do people use 'em or just bang a roast in the kettle?
As usual, any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

PS - On A separate thread I dropped a link to a Kalamazoo Gaucho Grill - liked the design... Ha! has a closer look and as my daughter would say OMG - USD $26,500... good if you've got it I guess... me... I'll just look at the videos.
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

There's quite a few gas options.

Do you want it portable? Do you like the outdoor kitchen style?

If you want to try a roti buy a "cheap charcoal one" around the $100 to $200 mark. Roti food tastes great but you might tire of the fiddling it takes compared to ease of using the gasser or kettle. If you really like roti cooking you can then buy something more long term. After trying it you get sick of it it is easier to sell or give away if it is a standalone unit, eg not a gas or kettle accessory.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Well ... I have decided on the 4 burner Weber Genesis 2 LX Premium - natural gas with a rotisserie and heat thermostat/meat probe jigger. Great build quality - these models are still made state-side and the features are ones that I'll use - a lot.

Expensive yes - but for me - this new model is a neat bridge in value before the Summitt range which is too expensive for me. Further, this model wasn't available when I was looking 18 or so months ago.

Anyway - all good - I'll strike a deal this weekend somewhere and look forward to cooking on this and of course the kettle. Gas and charcoal options.

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback in various posts I have made - it has helped me arrive at a decision that will work for me and my family. Cheers!
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Powderdigit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am Well ... I have decided on the 4 burner Weber Genesis 2 LX Premium - natural gas with a rotisserie and heat thermostat/meat probe jigger. Great build quality
Please take a few photos and show off your new Q!
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Will do... when I have done the final deal and I've received delivery.
Powderdigit
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Hi Forum Folk,

I hope you're having a good weekend.

I am in waiting... for a natural gas Weber Genesis 2 LX 440.

After nearly 18 months of procrastination - I did the deal on premium model and I'm just a little excited; forgive me - if I am being a bit of a peanut ...getting excited about a new BBQ! But... I reckon I can get excited about BBQ's on a BBQ forum! :D

Given I only did the deal yesterday - I am not yet sure of delivery but I hope next week in time for a weekend cook -up. I wanna thank the good folk at Heat 'n' Grill in Richmond (VIC)- I work nearby them and they were very helpful. I don't think it's appropriate to discuss the exact price but I got a full package of accessories and I am stoked.

So... I'm in waiting and passed time by going to Bunnings this morning to get some concrete slabs - got the sprit level out and away I went.

Here are some pics:

Accessories waiting to be used ...including a new cover for my old Kettle. I didn't want to the old fella feeling un-loved. :shock:
accessories ... because...why not?
accessories ... because...why not?
IMG_3247.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 6754 times

Here's a could of angles of the cooking space. It's at the end of a side path - when I am cooking here - I can have a laugh with friends and not clog the courtyard (or my house with windows open) with smoke.
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3255.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
IMG_3256.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
All good - I might get stuck into a spring clean of the old kettle this arvo. :mrgreen:

Catch ya.
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Your green kettle looks the goods. You could imagine you were in Europe somewhere with those photos.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

12x7 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 pm Your green kettle looks the goods. You could imagine you were in Europe somewhere with those photos.
Cheers mate - probably not much room in Europe either! Green kettle looks even better now after a big clean and I’m about to bang a butterfly chook and boerewors on it. I’m also banging into freshly cut bag of biltong ... I was buying some sausage earlier today and one of the customers gave me a bit of his biltong - bang - from hanging - into the grinder and I got some.

Protea Foods in Heatherton. I’m an Aussie but those Sth Africans know a bit about meat.
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Powderdigit wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:25 pm
12x7 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 pm Your green kettle looks the goods. You could imagine you were in Europe somewhere with those photos.
Cheers mate - probably not much room in Europe either! Green kettle looks even better now after a big clean and I’m about to bang a butterfly chook and boerewors on it. I’m also banging into freshly cut bag of biltong ... I was buying some sausage earlier today and one of the customers gave me a bit of his biltong - bang - from hanging - into the grinder and I got some.

Protea Foods in Heatherton. I’m an Aussie but those Sth Africans know a bit about meat.
It’s not too hard to make biltong at home. I just finished making a fresh batch today.