Weber Customer Service Experience. Q320 not getting hot enough.

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
titanium

Weber Customer Service Experience. Q320 not getting hot enough.

Post by titanium »

Just thought I'd post the service experience I just had. My Q320 is a few years old and I've noticed over the last year that where it used to get up to 270 degrees after preheating for 20 mins it now struggles to get to 225 after 30mins.
I did the burner clean and even put a pin through each hole (that's tedious). No change so grabbed the burners out of my dad's Q320 which heats perfectly and swapped them over......still the same, so not the burner. Thought it must be the manifold/regulator so rang Weber customer service. Nice lady asked for my serial number and advised me that my Q was just under 5 years old so this would be sorted out under warranty. Service tech said he'd be here between 11am and 2pm today. Luke from Weber arrived at 11.15am had the old regulator out and new one in in about 2 minutes.
Tested it out.........temp flies up from stone cold to 285 in 20 minutes!
Happy days! Thanks Weber Australia for excellent service and thanks Luke for fixing my Q. That's the reason why I keep recommending Webers and why we've bought four Q's in my family alone.
Disclaimer......no affiliation with Weber bla bla bla, just like to recognise good service.
Off to the butcher to buy some steaks.........Gonna be rare tonight with a nice crust :)
Ray
12x7

Re: Weber Customer Service Experience. Q320 not getting hot enough.

Post by 12x7 »

It's good to hear real customer stories about good service.

So many companies after many years in operation go down the toilet. Weber is still going strong. Good to see.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Great to here Ray.
Weber Australia customer service proves to be legendary once again.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

titanium wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:17 pm
Off to the butcher to buy some steaks.........Gonna be rare tonight with a nice crust :)
Ray, how do you get the steaks to "crust" :wink:

I want that finish to my steaks and fail to achieve it
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
titanium

Post by titanium »

Mainey . . . wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Mainey.
I'm no expert but this is what works for me.

Step 1 The first thing is picking the cut. I just picked up some nice Cattleman's cuts from my butcher. They are monsters 500g each. You need a THICK piece of meat or you'll end up with a heat bead, and not a steak :)
Step 2 is you need the steak DRY. I usually pat it down with some paper towel to get rid of any surface moisture. This is really important as if it isn't dry I don't get that crust.
Seasoning......I'm generally a traditionalist. Some people (Americans?) like a spice rub. Although this can be nice, if the meat is quality let it speak for itself. I'm just salt/pepper usually and vegetable oil (olive oil flash point is too low).
Step 3 leave it in the fridge. Normally I let the meat come out of the fridge 30mins before cooking. You want the meat cold so you can hit it with heat.
Step 4. This is what I haven't been able to do recently as the BBQ wasn't coming up to 280. You want the grates super hot.........and then meat goes straight out of the fridge to the Q. For a thick piece of meat about 4-5 mins per side (with a 90 degree turn partway through on each side) will give medium rare.......but I use a temp probe in the middle of the steak to check it hits 55 celsius.
Step 5 Rest it for 5 mins. Tell everyone to get their arses in there seats because if I spend the time cooking that steak I want it to be appreciated as it should be.

The key for crust IMHO is thcik cut, dry meat, high heat.
Hope this helps.
Ray
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Happy days! Thanks Weber Australia for excellent service and thanks Luke for fixing my Q. That's the reason why I keep recommending Webers and why we've bought four Q's in my family alone.

Ray
Thanks for sharing the story. On the odd times a Weber does have a problem, Weber Australia appears to always come to the party. Well done Weber Australia.
Mr Peter

Post by Mr Peter »

Season them generously with salt at least 15 minutes before searing. This brings moisture to the surface of the meat, and sugars & amino acids with it. Malliard reactions occur happily in these conditions.
Mr Peter

Post by Mr Peter »

Season them generously with salt at least 15 minutes before searing over a high heat. This brings moisture to the surface of the meat, and sugars & amino acids with it. Malliard reactions occur happily in these conditions.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

If you are using grill grates on another BBQ try that out on your Q. I used them on my 4 burner and they did a real good job creating grill marks on the steak, plus reduce flare-ups.